PDA

View Full Version : Woman trapped in Subway fridge for 8 hours wrote ‘help me’ in tomato sauce

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 12:05 PM
News.com.au

http://i.imgur.com/SDopaqH.jpg

A Subway employee who was locked in the store’s fridge for eight hours overnight used tomato sauce to write ‘help me’ on pieces of cardboard hoping her message would be seen by CCTV operators.

Karlee Daubeney hoped her desperate message would be seen but was not freed until 7:30am the next morning when a colleague returned to work. The store is facing court over the incident, which occurred in December last year.

“At first I was in a state of panic and I was looking for anything that could have opened the door,” she told the Gloucester Citizen. “I was trying to write ‘help’ on pieces of cardboard to slide under the door. I think it was with ketchup or mayonnaise.

“It got to the stage I was so cold I didn’t have the energy to bang on the door and I only had leggings and a Subway top on. My muscles became so cold I found it really hard to walk for a few days, I had migraines and dry skin around my nose. When I went to hospital the next day I was told I was close to having hypothermia and I made myself as warm as I could when I got home.”

The 20-year-old Gloucester woman, who recreated the incident in a photo shoot for the local paper, said she still suffered from anxiety over the incident, and becomes nervous if a door to a room shuts behind her.

“I was obviously on shift alone which was scary enough as the windows had been kicked in a few weeks before and I didn’t feel comfortable being there,” she said.

“I didn’t leave the house for a long time afterwards as I was suffering from really bad panic attacks — it has been nearly a year and I still suffer from anxiety.”

The franchisee has been accused of breaching workplace health and safety laws by not ensuring the safety and welfare of its employees. It entered a not guilty plea at the first hearing on October 26.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 12:06 PM
said she still suffered from anxiety over the incident, and becomes nervous if a door to a room shuts behind her.

:|

HyperV12
11-03-2015, 01:56 PM
:eek:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2015, 05:19 PM
How does that happen, those walk ins open from the inside unless someone deliberately locks you in

redred
11-03-2015, 05:59 PM
maybe she was :lol:

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:09 PM
How does that happen, those walk ins open from the inside unless someone deliberately locks you in

You'd think there would some sort of internal safety release

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 06:09 PM

You'd think there would some sort of internal safety release

Maybe she's just stupid? :dunno:

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Last line in the story tells everything. Subway is going to be at fault in her 30 million dollar lawsuit..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2015, 06:16 PM
I have never seen a walk in with out one of these, and I have worked in a lot of different types of kitchens

http://i.imgur.com/FTAF2nk.png

You push the knob, it opens the handle on the outside

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:23 PM
“At first I was in a state of panic and I was looking for anything that could have opened the door,”

:-k

Subway is fucked I think...:lol:

redred
11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Gloucester is up the road from bristol , they have an extra toe and a small gene pool

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:27 PM
:lol:

you live a pretty small country Red....I think most of you have the extra toe

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2015, 06:27 PM
“At first I was in a state of panic and I was looking for anything that could have opened the door,”

:-k

Subway is fucked I think...:lol:

I have no doubt that subway has these safety features, I would be surprised if it wasn't mandatory. I'm going to assume she's a clown

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:29 PM
I have no doubt that subway has these safety features, I would be surprised if it wasn't mandatory. I'm going to assume she's a clown

It's weird...she's aware that the CCTV cameras have some sort of view into the freezer because she wrote the message in ketchup on the card. So we have to assume she's at least partially aware of the freezer environment in general :-k

sounds like we may find out the owner cut a corner or two....or yes, that she is a profoundly stupid person :lol:

redred
11-03-2015, 06:31 PM
:lol:

you live a pretty small country Red....I think most of you have the extra toe

only the more north you go , mainly scotland

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 06:36 PM
It's weird...she's aware that the CCTV cameras have some sort of view into the freezer because she wrote the message in ketchup on the card. So we have to assume she's at least partially aware of the freezer environment in general :-k

sounds like we may find out the owner cut a corner or two....or yes, that she is a profoundly stupid person :lol:

She was trying to slide her message under the door out into the kitchen area

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:46 PM

yes :lol:

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:48 PM

oh :-s

redred
11-03-2015, 06:56 PM

i'm thinking a fridge unit is sealed pretty well to help keep food chilled so can't see this working

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 07:08 PM
i'm thinking a fridge unit is sealed pretty well to help keep food chilled so can't see this working

That's why I said maybe she's just stupid :lol:

redred
11-03-2015, 08:05 PM
we would make great judges :lol:

HyperV12
11-03-2015, 08:17 PM

Oi! Watch it ya banjo player!

redred
11-03-2015, 08:22 PM
:nana:

Goofy
11-03-2015, 08:38 PM
The 20-year-old Gloucester woman, who recreated the incident in a photo shoot for the local paper

:roll:

deebakes
11-04-2015, 12:45 AM
my first job was at subway. the walk in cooler we had didn't have a knob on the inside, you just pushed the door open, there was no latch on the outside, all magnet closing i guess :shrug:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-05-2015, 08:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g0baDFp.jpg