PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm In Fear Of My Life Because I'm Black': U.S. Citizen Seeks Refugee Status In Canada

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
By Sean Kelly - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/XRcdt7Y.jpg

A U.S. man is reportedly seeking refugee status in Canada over fears that he’ll be killed because he’s black.

Kyle Lydell Canty, 30, arrived in Canada in September and initially told border agents that he was on vacation and taking pictures, CBC News reports. Once he was in Vancouver, however, Canty decided to apply to remain in the country as a refugee.

“I'm in fear of my life because I'm black,” he said at an Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) hearing on Oct. 23, according to CBC. “This is a well-founded fear."

Canty reportedly told the IRB that black people are “being exterminated at an alarming rate” in the States — and used the choking death of Eric Garner and the shooting death of Michael Brown, both by police, as examples.

Garner and Brown's deaths sparked nationwide protests and initiated discussions about police and race relations in the U.S. According to a CBS Poll that was conducted after both incidents, 84 percent of African-American people believe police are most likely to use deadly force against a black person. Only 10 percent of African-American respondents said that race didn't matter when it came to police using deadly force, according to the December 2014 poll.

Canty provided significant evidence to the IRB, including video and media reports. Some of the video evidence he provided included footage of an incident where he was arrested for trespassing in Salem, Oregon, after spending two hours at a bus station using Wi-Fi and talking on the phone.

“I got bothered because I'm black,” he said. “This is a history of false arrest. My name is ruined because of the false arrest."

Canty, a New York native, said he wants to remain in Canada because he feels safe and comfortable enough to talk to police officers. He hopes to own a photography business and open a martial arts training center.

Goofy
11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
:facepalm:

HyperV12
11-03-2015, 02:59 PM
:rofl:

redred
11-03-2015, 03:50 PM
getting a bit silly now isn't it

RBP
11-03-2015, 04:03 PM
getting a bit silly now isn't it
Getting??

Pony
11-03-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm all for it! Open the border to Canada!!

redred
11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
bbc for hal :woot:

RBP
11-03-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm all for it! Open the border to Canada!!
:lol:

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:10 PM
we believe in equality pal....you can get killed up here for being black too! :)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Old:

http://i.imgur.com/mWEWEp2.jpg

New:

http://i.imgur.com/WuoSCnN.jpg

:-k

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2015, 06:38 PM
I'll start a non-profit boat business for transportation

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:48 PM
I'll start a new type of coyote northern border crossing service...paint the black dudes brown, give them a turban and they won't even check ID

perrhaps
11-04-2015, 12:11 AM
I wonder how many descendants of the great noble Kunta Kinte can be tricked into thinking Mammoth Cave is part of the 21st Century Underground Railroad?

deebakes
11-04-2015, 12:35 AM
jesus h :facepalm:

RBP
11-04-2015, 02:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8LXK3gO.jpg?1

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2016, 12:41 PM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/RNFYs6g.png

Kyle Lydell Canty, an American citizen, was denied refugee status by Canada based upon his fears of U.S. police violence against him because he is black. He was denied asylum in December 2015, and has since moved back to the U.S.

Canty told Vice News that he went to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, in September 2015 on a picture-taking trip, and decided to apply for refugee status.

Canty told Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board hearing in October that black people are "being exterminated at an alarming rate" by police in the U.S., and showed videos of himself and other people allegedly being harassed by law enforcement.

Canty also presented his claims of false arrest and extortion by police. He cited news reports about police violence in the U.S., and a United Nations handbook about refugee status.

Canty said he faces charges for jaywalking, trespassing, threats and intimidation, and disorderly conduct in the U.S., but denied all the charges.

The refugee board's Ron Yamauchi wrote in his ruling: "I find that the claimant is not a Convention refugee in that he does not have a well-founded fear of persecution for a Convention ground in the United States of America," reports CBC News.

"His removal to the United States of America would not subject him personally to a risk to his life or to a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment," Yamauchi added.

Yamauchi did concede that Canty's evidence showed that black people in the U.S. are "stopped and questioned by police at the highest rate compared to other racial groups," but added that Canty was claiming persecution by the police "which is treatment that is worse than harassment."

Yamauchi wrote that Canty had not personally experienced police encounters that "resulted in assault, excessive detention or lack of due process."

In response, Canty wrote in an email to Vice News: "All of this is political and has nothing to do with refugee law."

"I was planning on appealing the case until I found out what was really going on with the Canadian government (Syria) everything is not what it seems lol," Canty added.

Canty intends to try again in three years, and told the news site: "This time I will pick America's Enemies, I still hate America just like I wrote and said."

Muddy
01-14-2016, 06:28 PM
:racist:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Watch him get beat to death on his way back

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2016, 06:52 PM
That would be hilarious :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-14-2016, 08:16 PM
:lol:

Goofy
01-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Rodney King!

RBP
01-15-2016, 12:09 AM
I fear for my life because he's black too. How ironic.