PDA

View Full Version : Keystone pipeline dead: Obama rejects project, says it won't spur economy

Teh One Who Knocks
11-07-2015, 11:20 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/ODb0r23.jpg

President Obama announced Friday that he has rejected Canadian energy giant TransCanada's application to build the Keystone XL pipeline, saying that the pipeline was not in the U.S. national interest.

"The State Department has decided the Keystone XL pipeline would not serve the interests of the United States. I agree with that decision," Obama said at a White House press conference.

The announcement caps a 7-year saga that has become one of the biggest environmental flashpoints of Obama’s presidency. It comes just days after the State Department refused to agree to TransCanada’s request to suspend the review process on the controversial project, which has seen enormous opposition from environmental groups.

Killing the pipeline allows Obama to claim aggressive action on the environment. That could strengthen his hand as world leaders prepare to finalize a major global climate pact next month in Paris that Obama hopes will be a crowning jewel for his legacy.

Alberta-based TransCanada first applied for Keystone permits in September 2008 -- shortly before Obama was elected. As envisioned, Keystone would snake from Canada's tar sands through Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska, then connect with existing pipelines to carry more than 800,000 barrels of crude oil a day to specialized refineries along the Texas Gulf Coast.

Democrats and environmental groups latched onto Keystone as emblematic of the type of dirty fossil fuels that must be phased out. Environmentalists chained themselves to construction equipment and the White House fence in protest.

But Republicans, Canadian politicians and the energy industry touted what they said were profound economic benefits -- thousands of U.S. construction jobs and billions injected into the economy. They argued transporting crude by pipeline would be safer than alternatives like rail, and charged Obama with hypocrisy for complaining about the lack of investment in U.S. infrastructure while obstructing an $8 billion project.

Obama dismissed the claims that Keystone would be a major job creator.

“If Congress is serious about wanting to create jobs, this is not the way to do it,” he said, before calling for a bipartisan infrastructure plan that he says would make a more significant impact on job creation.

Republicans called the decision disappointing.

"President Obama's rejection of the Keystone XL Pipeline is a huge mistake, and is the latest reminder that this administration continues to prioritize the demands of radical environmentalists over America's energy security," said. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum condemned the decision in a tweet.

http://i.imgur.com/E44Fobw.jpg

“It [is] ironic that after delaying construction for more than seven years – postponing the jobs, revenues and other benefits that would result from the project – the president now finds it pressing to make a decision just as the company is asking for a pause to resolve any concerns," Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D. said in a statement.

Some Democrats, such as Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., praised the decision as a positive step in protecting the environment.

"I want to thank the Obama Administration for protecting the health of the American people and the health of the planet by rejecting the ill-advised Keystone tar sands pipeline, which would have brought the filthiest oil known to humankind into our country in large amounts,” Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said.

Meanwhile 2016 hopeful Bernie Sanders called support for the pipeline "insane."

"It is insane for anyone to be supporting the excavation and transportation of some of the dirtiest fuel on earth. As someone who has led the opposition to the Keystone pipeline from Day 1, I strongly applaud the president’s decision to kill this project once and for all,” Sanders said.

perrhaps
11-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Hopefully, the pipeline will be approved in February, 2017.

Muddy
11-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Hopefully, the pipeline will be approved in February, 2017.
Fuck that pipeline. I hope it gets scrapped permanently. It does not benefit the American people.

DemonGeminiX
11-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Fuck that pipeline. I hope it gets scrapped permanently. It does not benefit the American people.

:-k

Maybe I missed something. Care to elaborate on your position?

Loser
11-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Once it's built, the maintenance jobs go to canadian contractors. Not american.

At least that's what I've read several times.

DemonGeminiX
11-07-2015, 11:58 PM
That's not good.

Muddy
11-08-2015, 03:23 AM
The pipeline is nothing but a way for oil companies to sell oil found on this continent internationally. It benefits the oil companies. That oil is not destined for our tanks.. they want to drain the resources here, sell them, and take the last bit of profits before renewables shuts them down..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Spend that money on solar/wind for fucks sake

Hal-9000
11-09-2015, 06:49 PM
It's a little more complex than environmental concerns...Forget about building or who's maintaining the pipeline for a minute...

Almost a million barrels per day going down to US refineries. Do you have any idea how much revenue that it for both countries? It's exploration coupled with production which brings in huge dollars to both countries. That's 800, 000 more barrels to US refineries than they are currently getting. Yes the oil may be sold worldwide, but that's kinda how the industry has worked for decades. Some for us, the rest gets exported, oil company makes the profit.

Obama is way off base citing environmental concerns. A pipeline is 10 times safer than rail or truck transit (or tanker by sea).

Yeah Canadian companies may be contracted to service and maintain the pipeline but where is the oil initially coming from? Some US republicans are supporting this idea because no matter what happens, the Saudis are not deriving revenue.

Hal-9000
11-09-2015, 06:54 PM
I guess another way to put it is, until we find a source of sustainable energy better than oil and gas, we're stuck with using it. Hey I'm all for not using oil but like Kevin mentioned, there are so many more products that come out of oil than just fuel.

And when someone like Sanders is complaining about the 'dirty' resource...until it's refined, most of what comes out of the ground is dirty. It's not like you drill a well, oil gushes out like on the Beverly Hillbillies and it goes directly into a tanker for use :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2015, 07:12 PM
It's a little more complex than environmental concerns...Forget about building or who's maintaining the pipeline for a minute...

Almost a million barrels per day going down to US refineries. Do you have any idea how much revenue that it for both countries? It's exploration coupled with production which brings in huge dollars to both countries. That's 800, 000 more barrels to US refineries than they are currently getting. Yes the oil may be sold worldwide, but that's kinda how the industry has worked for decades. Some for us, the rest gets exported, oil company makes the profit.

Obama is way off base citing environmental concerns. A pipeline is 10 times safer than rail or truck transit (or tanker by sea).

Yeah Canadian companies may be contracted to service and maintain the pipeline but where is the oil initially coming from? Some US republicans are supporting this idea because no matter what happens, the Saudis are not deriving revenue.

I'm all for reducing our consumption from the middle east, but ultimately would like to see 0 fossil fuel consumption

Hal-9000
11-09-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm all for reducing our consumption from the middle east, but ultimately would like to see 0 fossil fuel consumption

You guys (in Cali) are way ahead of us using wind and solar for some things. Up here, things like hybrid cars are still treated like unicorns and they need gas half of the time anyways :lol:

It's the old saw - The oil and gas economy is so strong and prevalent throughout the world, that even when alternate viable forms of energy are invented they get mysteriously squashed and don't reach the light of day...ever. We hear the urban legends of engines that can get 100 miles to the gallon, yet we'll never see them because gas is 1.20 liter up here (about 4 bucks a gallon) and it costs only 1/36th of that to produce.

ffs even some of the first autos ran on a battery....and you mean to tell me that in 100 years since, we couldn't invent a car that runs on electricity only?? Bah it's horseshit :x

The form of energy that replaces oil both in homes and for all vehicles ...cars, trains, airplanes....will have to defeat the North American economy and then the billionaires in Arabia

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I know.

I was watching the Knick and realized they had electric cars back then, and I'm like WTF!!!

Hal-9000
11-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah whathisface's ambulance :lol: ...thanks, that reminds me to catch up

The bottom line for this pipeline is that both countries could use the jobs and revenue. We are an oil based culture so why not exploit the resource? We're in a recession up here and our oil-centric city has suffered some serious unemployment in the past two years. They've laid off people who worked in all aspects of oil, and those same people are taking the unskilled labor or retail jobs right now.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2015, 07:46 PM
:hand: I dont want your dirty oil messing up my air quality

Hal-9000
11-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Okay Mr I'mthenextChina [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2015, 07:50 PM
:lol: