PDA

View Full Version : Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Paul Davidson - USA Today

http://i.imgur.com/XrUwakU.jpg

Fast-food workers demanding a $15 an hour wage walked out in dozens cities at 6 a.m. today, kicking off a year-long campaign to muster the political power of 64 million low-wage workers in next year's presidential election.

The protests, which will take place in 270 cities today,mark the workers' largest show of force in the three years since they launched a series of rallies to call for higher pay, according to Fight for $15, which represents the workers and is backed by the Service Employees International Union.

Tens of thousands of workers and supporters were expected to take part in today's demonstrations, which began around dawn at McDonald's outlets in downtown Brooklyn, Boston and Philadelphia, among other locations.Protests in as many as 700 additional cities were planned by low-paid home care, child care, farm, FedEx, nursing home and other workers throughout the day.

Kheila Cox, 38, is walking off her job as a $10-an-hour baggage handler at Boston's Logan Airport to join a march this afternoon from Faneuil Hall to the Massachusetts State House.

"It's not just the financial piece, it's also about the dignity," says Cox, who has seven children.

In contrast to their nine previous walkouts, the workers are putting an emphatic political stamp on Tuesday's activity. They'll parade to local city halls in the late afternoon and the daylong offensive is expected to culminate with a protest by several thousand workers at the Republican presidential debate in Milwaukee Tuesday night.

Most of the Republican candidates oppose raising the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour, saying it will hurt job growth. The restaurant industry says it will force employers to replace workers with technology, such as touch-screen ordering tablets.

Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton recently said she supports a $12 federal pay floor, while Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley favor a $15 minimum. They cite the issue as key to closing the widening gap between rich and poor.

Already an influential political force, the workers plan to use their new-found muscle to sway local, state and national elections exactly 12 months from now and say they'll back any candidate of any party who supports their cause. The Fight for $15 group says it will hold voter registration drives and neighborhood parties to coax the workers to the polls.

A recent survey by the National Employment Law Project found that most unregistered voters would sign up and registered voters would be more likely to vote if a candidate backs a $15 hourly wage -- groups that represents 48 million potential voters.

"People are going to be looking for that in a candidate" and will vote for politicians "that are responsive to their economic well-being," says NELP Executive Director Christine Owens.

The workers' crusade for $15 seemed quixotic when it began in November 2012 in New York City. But it has been cited as a chief catalyst as cities such as Seattle, Los Angeles and San Francisco recently decided to raise their minimum wage to $15, and as companies such as McDonald's, Walmart and Target agreed to increase worker pay.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Kheila Cox, 38, is walking off her job as a $10-an-hour baggage handler at Boston's Logan Airport to join a march this afternoon from Faneuil Hall to the Massachusetts State House.

"It's not just the financial piece, it's also about the dignity,"

:-k

How about you actually educate yourself and get some kind of actual usable skill? :roll:

...says Cox, who has seven children.

How about you keep your fucking legs closed :rolleyes:

Goofy
11-10-2015, 01:09 PM

How about you actually educate yourself and get some kind of actual usable skill? :roll:

Handling baggage takes years to learn :hand:

HyperV12
11-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Handling baggage takes years to learn :hand:

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-11/10/12/enhanced/webdr01/anigif_enhanced-buzz-29993-1415640560-5.gif

PorkChopSandwiches
11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

How about you keep your fucking legs closed :rolleyes:

I was about to quote that same thing, I'm so tired of these entitled fucktards

RBP
11-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I am in favor of a minimum wage hike. Maybe not $15 but it needs to be indexed in some way and regionalized.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
I am in favor of a minimum wage hike. Maybe not $15 but it needs to be indexed in some way and regionalized.

Minimum wage isn't meant to raise a family on, why should unskilled workers be given a raise just because?

Loser
11-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Minimum wage isn't meant to raise a family on, why should unskilled workers be given a raise just because?

Because obama likes feeding bullshit to entitled little shits that believe they deserve everything.

Remember, they got participation trophies, and mommy told them they were "special"...:roll:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-10-2015, 06:40 PM

A kid with a summer job, or after school job...exactly these types of jobs. Doesn't need $15 an hour, they need a little money in their pocket and learn some responsibility. Just because some illegal is trying to raise her 7 kids working a drive through, doesn't mean the wage needs to be raised. Of course, it should probably be tied to inflation at some point, I don't feel $15 is fair by any means

perrhaps
11-10-2015, 11:28 PM
So, what happens when they start making $15.00 hour, and either fully or partially lose their eligibility for food stamps; cash assistance; free lunches and subsidized health insurance and housing? I'd really like to see how much this would save the states.

Of course, if there was a saving to the states, I know damn well they won't reduce sales and/or income taxes, but, hey, a fellow can dream, can't he?

RBP
11-11-2015, 12:17 AM

Because not getting a raise is a cut in pay as we all know. And that's exactly what has happened. You have to allow for that. When Bush signed the 2007 3-stage increase to $7.25 he gave small business owners like $50B in tax breaks. That change also gave the states the ability to raise the minimum over the federal level. But the purchasing power has significantly shrunk.

Secondly, the economy has changed dramatically. People rely on part time or multiple part time jobs to make ends meet. Those jobs are notoriously low wage and now impact a larger segment of the population.

We're into the abortion-like all or nothing debate at this point. It's either NO or $15. Why? That's just wrong headed. I don't have an issue with what Chicago did. $10 now, $13 in 4 years, then indexed to inflation. For a large expensive metro that makes sense. Does that mean the same should be done in bumfuck Alabama? certainly not.

That's why I suggested that the federal minimum be raised to around the purchasing power it had in the past, pick your reasonable point, but probably the mid 80's, since that's when it stopped getting raised sans Bush taking it up as part of the war package. I don't know what that number is honestly. And it should be indexed for a core portion of inflation. States should create regional minimums that account for large price index differences. Salaried employee expect this and they get it. If a professional gets a move from Kansas City to Manhattan, just to stay even the salary has to go WAY up. Why would we not apply the same principle? The minimum wage in Chicago should be higher than say in small Mattoon, IL downstate. Why? Just take housing alone, where the same standard of housing is 60% higher in Chicago than in Mattoon.

I am not saying $15, but if you aren't going to keep depleting the purchasing power of the minimum, there's no point in having a minimum at all.

RBP
11-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Not to mention the fact that keeping the bottom lower gives large employers the excuse for suppressing the entire wage scale.

I have argued that the impact of a min wage increase is not just the bottom but the rows above, and that should also be counted. Still true. But the reverse argument is also true. If a large retailer can pay the stock guy $7.25, it has no incentive to pay the stock supervisor more than $10.

Loser
11-11-2015, 02:23 AM
So, what happens when they start making $15.00 hour, and either fully or partially lose their eligibility for food stamps; cash assistance; free lunches and subsidized health insurance and housing? I'd really like to see how much this would save the states.

Of course, if there was a saving to the states, I know damn well they won't reduce sales and/or income taxes, but, hey, a fellow can dream, can't he?

This is exactly what is happening in seattle right now. Businesses are having to hire more people because people are requesting LESS hours so they can stay on the government tit.

RBP
11-11-2015, 04:08 AM
This is exactly what is happening in seattle right now. Businesses are having to hire more people because people are requesting LESS hours so they can stay on the government tit.

Okay, so is that a net negative or net benefit? I am not even sure how you count that.

Loser
11-11-2015, 05:15 AM
Basically, work less for what they already earn. They get zero more money. Just work less.

RBP
11-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Basically, work less for what they already earn. They get zero more money. Just work less.

I get that. But other people pick up extra hours. I have no idea what the downstream impact is in wages v taxes v social support program costs.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Because not getting a raise is a cut in pay as we all know. And that's exactly what has happened. You have to allow for that. When Bush signed the 2007 3-stage increase to $7.25 he gave small business owners like $50B in tax breaks. That change also gave the states the ability to raise the minimum over the federal level. But the purchasing power has significantly shrunk.

Secondly, the economy has changed dramatically. People rely on part time or multiple part time jobs to make ends meet. Those jobs are notoriously low wage and now impact a larger segment of the population.

We're into the abortion-like all or nothing debate at this point. It's either NO or $15. Why? That's just wrong headed. I don't have an issue with what Chicago did. $10 now, $13 in 4 years, then indexed to inflation. For a large expensive metro that makes sense. Does that mean the same should be done in bumfuck Alabama? certainly not.

That's why I suggested that the federal minimum be raised to around the purchasing power it had in the past, pick your reasonable point, but probably the mid 80's, since that's when it stopped getting raised sans Bush taking it up as part of the war package. I don't know what that number is honestly. And it should be indexed for a core portion of inflation. States should create regional minimums that account for large price index differences. Salaried employee expect this and they get it. If a professional gets a move from Kansas City to Manhattan, just to stay even the salary has to go WAY up. Why would we not apply the same principle? The minimum wage in Chicago should be higher than say in small Mattoon, IL downstate. Why? Just take housing alone, where the same standard of housing is 60% higher in Chicago than in Mattoon.

I am not saying $15, but if you aren't going to keep depleting the purchasing power of the minimum, there's no point in having a minimum at all.

They all got a raise, it's called Obamacare and it's paid by you and me...free or heavily subsidized healthcare. I haven't had a raise in 3 years now because of fucking Obamacare and you want me to be all for giving a bunch of whining unskilled workers a raise? Nope :hand: And as Loser said, these whiners that actually have had the minimum wage catapulted up to the $15/hr range all want their hours cut back so they can still get government benefits. Fuck them all.

Again, minimum wage IS NOT meant to raise a family on. Wanna get paid more, go learn a trade.