PDA

View Full Version : 'Hitting back' discouraged in Lee County Schools

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Malcolm Johnson - FOX 4

http://i.imgur.com/3XOAil0.jpg

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Lee County School District students who get hit or bullied and respond by hitting back could be suspended. It's a punishment that could be issued under the district's zero tolerance policy.

Some students in the county don't feel it's fair to discipline a student who defends themselves.

"I'd protect myself, just like my daddy taught me, put your two sets up. You never know what's going to happen. You might get your head bashed in, might lose your life, because you cant expect someone not to fight back, its human nature," 10th grader Elie St. Felix said.

But with Lee County School's zero tolerance policy, students can be suspended for defending themselves, even after getting hit.

FOX 4 asked a school board member, Mary Fischer whether students should be able to defend themselves. "We have a process at our schools where from early on we teach children that hitting is not appropriate."

With years of mediation and counseling experience, Fischer says theres a proper way to handle being hit or pushed. "Depending on the age and cognitive level of the child they should walk away and ask for help if it is an attack or just say hey stop and often times that works."

Some parents agree. "In no way shape or form should the retaliatory action be accepted nor the aggressing action," said John Wolff, whose son is in tenth grade.

Some students tell me it's easier said than done.

"I just don't think it's right if you send both people out. I think it should be whichever through the first punch," said St. Felix.

HyperV12
11-12-2015, 08:16 PM
I understand the schools stance but sorry, fuck that!

Goofy
11-12-2015, 08:23 PM
I understand the schools stance but sorry, fuck that!

The only thing a bully understands is a good ass-whooping.

HyperV12
11-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Agreed.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2015, 09:35 PM
My son got suspended for defending himself after being kicked in the balls. Nailed the kid in the face a laid him out. The principle explained it was the policy, I said do what you have to do, he's doing what I taught him

deebakes
11-13-2015, 02:51 AM
:racist:

RBP
11-13-2015, 03:19 AM
My son got suspended for defending himself after being kicked in the balls. Nailed the kid in the face a laid him out. The principle explained it was the policy, I said do what you have to do, he's doing what I taught him

:clap:

Muddy
11-13-2015, 04:26 AM
Same thing in my county.. Peace ambassadors they call them or some other BS.

Hugh_Janus
11-14-2015, 12:05 PM

what happened to the other kid?