PDA

View Full Version : Man builds message-receiving 'time machine'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Unexplained Mysteries

http://i.imgur.com/fs5F50P.jpg

A physics professor is constructing a time machine capable of picking up messages from the future.
When it comes to science fiction technologies, time travel is proving to be a tough nut to crack.

While the concept has featured heavily over the years in science fiction films and TV shows such as Back to the Future, Dr Who and Star Trek, most scientists subscribe to the belief that travelling backwards in time and interacting with past events is fundamentally impossible.

But what if instead of travelling in to the past you could simply send a message ?

This is the basis for a new machine being developed by Ronald Mallett, a physics professor at the University of Connecticut. Inspired by reading the H.G. Wells classic The Time Machine, Mallett is hoping to build a device that can pick up communications sent back from the future.

The contraption, which will cost an estimated $250,000 to build, could open the floodgates to a vast network of data being sent back in time for the people of the present to read and benefit from.

"By using a circulating beam of laser light, I have been able to mathematically show that this can lead to a twisting of space and time," he said.

Whether the finished device will ever actually pick anything up however remains to be seen.

Goofy
11-14-2015, 04:46 PM
:shakehead:

deebakes
11-14-2015, 04:58 PM
:eek:

Noilly Pratt
11-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Just our luck...it'll home in on the Kardashian's messages and it'll be "like, next Thursday you'll wanna get a mocha frappuchino. Don't — you'll have the worst gas!"

DemonGeminiX
11-14-2015, 11:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWbFni6_25Y

Godfather
11-15-2015, 01:30 AM
So conceptually would this work like... we build the thing January 1, 2016, it sits in a closet for 100-years, and then someone in 2116 goes and starts sending data back to us the second we turn it on January 1, 2016?

What if we just day-dream about the consequences of it actually working.... Say we just start getting the specs for cold fusion reactors, space ships, hyper-efficient crops, 3D printers that can make anything, batteries so efficient we can't even dream of them right now? What would that do to society?

Fodster
11-15-2015, 02:52 AM
:meh:

Hal-9000
11-15-2015, 07:29 PM
I believe in Hawking's theory.You can't go back...what's done is done and the time line always moves on from that point.

Godfather
11-16-2015, 12:45 AM
I believe in Hawking's theory.You can't go back...what's done is done and the time line always moves on from that point.

Hawking does believe time travel to the future is theoretically possible though right? And this machine is intended for communicating forward in time.

I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on it... he'd probably say hogwash, the guy doesn't beat around the bush :lol:

Hal-9000
11-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Hawking does believe time travel to the future is theoretically possible though right? And this machine is intended for communicating forward in time.

I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on it... he'd probably say hogwash, the guy doesn't beat around the bush :lol:

Yes he does believe that we could theoretically travel forward in time. But I think this thing above is talking about sending messages back from the future, not sending stuff forward to let's say 2020.

"A physics professor is constructing a time machine capable of picking up messages from the future." <--implies it's receiving something now, coming from the future

Have you heard about how they've proven that objects move slower in time when closer to large objects? (think a person standing beside a pyramid) They have clocks in satellites and found that the time becomes altered when they are closer to huge objects..the clocks slow down or lose a fraction of a second compared to regular clocks. It's another one of Hawking's things.

You've heard of the twin example? One twin stays on Earth, while another gets into a spacecraft that travels at light speed. Twin in craft returns to Earth and has not aged as much as his brother who stayed here. It somehow ties in to time travel, don't ask me how..

DemonGeminiX
11-16-2015, 04:00 AM
If you could travel to the future, does that mean that the future has already been determined?

If you traveled to the past, would it be like hitting the rewind button and hitting play at a previous point in history?

:-k

deebakes
11-16-2015, 04:01 AM
:bong: