PDA

View Full Version : Woman Sentenced To Five Months In Jail For Distracted Driving Car Accident

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2015, 01:40 PM
By Reve Fisher - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/JZCUuKa.jpg

An Oregon woman who hit three teenage girls while driving has been sentenced to five months in prison on Nov. 12.

On Jan. 15, Elizabeth Dove was using her cellphone to record her son while driving near Centennial High School in Gresham, Oregon. Three freshmen students were reportedly in a crosswalk when Dove hit them with her car.

According to The Oregonian, a 19-second long video shows Dove gesturing to her son with a phone in her hand just before hitting the teenagers. A six-second clip taken after the crash reportedly shows the phone laying in the passenger's seat, with Dove panicking and a child crying in the background.

Dove admitted to police she was taking video on her cellphone, but it was "quite a bit before the crash," according to the affidavit. She said she didn't see the girls before the accident.

KPTV reports that according to a probable cause affidavit, "The victims would have been entering the roadway when the video was at the 15.06 mark, which is when defendant appears to have had no hands on the steering wheel."

http://i.imgur.com/KF788MM.jpg

A witness driving near Dove told police that, while drivers on the other side of the road stopped, Dove maintained a speed of about 40 mph, reports The Oregonian. He pressed his horn, saw Dove slow down slightly, and then saw the girls "go flying," according to the affidavit.

The teenagers all survived, but had serious injuries, including concussions, a skull fracture and a torn ACL, according to KPTV. The mother of one of the girls said her daughter will deal with the aftermath of this collision for the rest of her life, in addition to the "almost unbearable" medical bills the family has to pay.

Dove pleaded guilty to three counts of third-degree assault and reckless driving in August. She was sentenced to 30 days of jail to be served in December and four months in summer 2016.

"It's hard to put into words the remorse I have felt since Jan. 15," Dove said to the families of the victims. "I'm so sorry for my actions. I cannot imagine the pain and trauma you've experienced because of my distracted driving."

Goofy
11-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Looks pretty innocent :doggybanana:

deebakes
11-17-2015, 02:49 AM
:uwank:

RBP
11-17-2015, 04:02 AM
restitution?