PDA

View Full Version : Justin Trudeau Has Ordered Canada’s Justice Minister to Start the Weed Legalization Process

Godfather
11-17-2015, 05:31 AM
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has given his first official order starting the process towards legalizing weed.

In a public mandate letter issued to Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould Friday, Trudeau listed the government's top priorities, including working with the Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health ministers to "create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana."

The letter also calls for a review of sentencing reforms with the goal of reducing incarceration rates amongst Indigenous Canadians. Under Stephen Harper, the Conservatives imposed mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes, including growing marijuana—a policy that has been widely criticized as "cruel and unusual."

In the absence of an official cannabis policy change, police forces across the country are using their discretion when deciding whether or not to enforce current drug laws.

Nanaimo, BC RCMP recently ordered several medical marijuana dispensaries in the city to shut down or potentially face criminal prosecution. A compassion club in Saskatoon, where a police officer told VICE he would "charge on a leftover roach" if possible, was also recently raided.

In Vancouver, cops generally don't lay charges for simple possession, but the city's 100 or so pot dispensaries, which operate in a grey market, are being cracked down on through new municipal regulations.

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada told VICE that it will continue to prosecute drug offences under the existing laws.

Follow Manisha Krishnan on Twitter.

Godfather
11-17-2015, 05:31 AM
:cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Good to see that the new incoming Canadian government has its priorities in order to attack the most important issues first.

HyperV12
11-17-2015, 02:45 PM
:bong:

Hal-9000
11-17-2015, 04:13 PM
the new Colorado

:| don't worry about the Syrians or the oil recession or jobs Justin...minor stuff can wait

Godfather
11-18-2015, 04:33 AM
This was on his platform that got him a landslide election, and he's just delegated the duty. I agree he'll continue to make mostly shit decisions but the whole 'arg get yer priorities straight cus terrorism and jerbs' is a bit silly. Governments can handle more than one policy change at a time.

And by the numbers I like what I see from Colorado. What are your concerns?

RBP
11-18-2015, 04:40 AM
This was on his platform that got him a landslide election, and he's just delegated the duty. I agree he'll continue to make mostly shit decisions but the whole 'arg get yer priorities straight cus terrorism and jerbs' is a bit silly. Governments can handle more than one policy change at a time.

I've missed you, dude. Stick around. #brosbeforehoes

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2015, 11:51 AM

http://i.imgur.com/uHxVh.gif

Goofy
11-18-2015, 01:20 PM
:woot: *plans visit to Canada via Colorado and Amsterdam*

Hal-9000
11-18-2015, 06:12 PM

His Dad used the same promise 35 years ago...legalize weed, when it was a huge hot button concern.

What are my concerns? We have differing views I guess on how many policies this guy can and will address. You say my concern is silly, I say the thing than comes to the forefront for him first days in is the weed bill?

:lol: ok...

Hal-9000
11-18-2015, 07:01 PM
I understand he has minions GF...what disappoints me is this is his major announcement out of the gate. I'll have to give him a couple of years to see how the country changes.

Noilly Pratt
11-18-2015, 07:23 PM
I can't help but think Trudeau is giving everyone what they want just to cushion the blow of running deficits for years. We'll see!

Godfather
11-19-2015, 02:34 AM
I can't help but think Trudeau is giving everyone what they want just to cushion the blow of running deficits for years. We'll see!

Welcome to Elections :lol: :P