PDA

View Full Version : E-Booking. Do you Kindle or do you Nook... or do you recommend something else.

Major Tool
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I know nothing about any of these and I failed miserably trying to help Mrs. Tool add some library books to her Kindle. But she swears by it.

What do you use? What do you prefer? Any suggestions or helpful advice?

Personally, I'll probably stick to good old-fashioned paper books. I want to take out as many trees with me as possible when the Good Lord calls me.

KevinD
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I am partial to paper, but due to extensive travel with work, I started using the Microsoft reader for PC's a few years ago (.lit format) and PDF books were easy to use on the laptop as well. This Christmas, my sister in law bought me a nook (not the color, just the base one) that uses .pdf and .epub formats.
The Nook is handy, but, one of the things I don't like about it is that it doesn't show if you've finished reading a book in your library. I'm also trying to figure out how to add pics to my screensaver and wallpapers. It's supposed to use a .jpg format, but when I put pics in, they don't show on my setup options.
My sis in law has the nook color, and it's much nicer than the basic nook. My bud has a Cruz tablet reader etc, and it's very nice. Runs on the 'droid software, and is pretty much like an Ipad.

I don't know whether we can link to other sites, but there are a couple of places you can go and download boatloads of "free" books. IIRC, the Kindle uses the .mobi format.

Pony
01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
While it's a bit too big to be comfortable I usually end up on the couch with my 17" laptop.

Yt Trash
01-28-2011, 11:36 PM
I got an Ipad for Xmas. Wouldn't have gone out and bought one, but to be honest, it's a nice ereader. I like the interface, the ease of use and it's ability to surf the web. The only downfall, no flash and lack of space upgrade, but for what I use it's perfect.

Dr. Girlfriend
01-29-2011, 02:59 AM
I use a Kindle with 3G. Pretty cool. It uses both mobi and pdf. I had been borrowing a friend's Nook but the Kindle is so much easier to read.

Goofy
01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I use one of those 'book' things....... you know, the bits of paper all binded together :tup:

Pony
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I use one of those 'book' things....... you know, the bits of paper all binded together :tup:

That's still my preference.

Dr. Girlfriend
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM

That's still my preference.

You guys are so 2009!

Pony
02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
[-( :face:

It's not only that my laptop is too big or eye strain from staring at a screen for hours gets to me. I've been reading for entertainment since I was a kid. Old habits die hard I guess....:nana:

Godfather
04-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm gunna get one too... sick of spending money on books I read in a week :lol:

Wonder if I should get the Kindle, Kobo, Sony or some other ereader :-k

Griffin
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I got teh spousal unit a Kindle for her Bday last month.

...I'm beginning to think I should have registered it with her amazon account.

Godfather
04-27-2011, 12:57 AM
How come you didn't register initially?

Wowza... 3G is free on them!?!? This I did not know.

Is that only if it's registered (and does that mean you can't 'borrow' books?!) :-k

Griffin
04-27-2011, 01:08 AM
When you buy one it is automatically registered with the purchasers account.
They suggest that if you buy one as a gift that you de-register it from your account so that the receiver can then register it as theirs....otherwise you will be charged for all book purchases.

thus my hind sight.:rolleyes:

Lambchop
05-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I love the feel of a good paperback in my hands but I've recently ordered a cheap Android tablet for the purpose of reading books at night. If I can't adjust I'll just sell it on eBay.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I dont know how to read

pepo
05-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I dont know how to read

e-iliterate!!!

AnnieBerries
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
My vote goes for Amazon's Kindle.

deebakes
09-13-2011, 01:52 AM
:rip: books

KevinD
09-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Ehh, I still buy hard back and paper backs. Just when I travel, which is very often, I prefer the Nook because I can bring along many books (I read very quickly) and not have excess weight to deal with.

Now that these things have been out awhile, I still stick with the Nook basic. Too many friends have the fancy ones and have had problems with the touch screens, and backlights. I tend to read a lot while in bed to fall asleep, and the reader will fall out of my hands. Lots of times, I'm in a hotel somwhere with nice hard tile floors, and the Nook has survived many falls off the bed now. lol. I'll give it props for durability and cost.

Noilly Pratt
09-29-2011, 03:47 AM
This is one trend that has passed me by. My nephew has passed me over his HTC dream now that he's on his 3rd android phone...so maybe I'll see if I can make this Android device some sort of book reader.

KevinD
10-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I must have jinxed myself with the last post in this thread, lol. While on an offshore week before last, my Nook Basic broke (Totally my fault) I had it in my back pucket, forgot about it and sat on it, lol.

I was actually going to buy another Nook Basic, esp. since B&N has them for $89usd now, but After thinking about it, I decided on the Nook Color, so I can read at night without external light source. To my surprise, while looking for other stuff for it today, I have found that the Nook Color can be converted to full Android 2.2 with all apps and software. Of course this voids your warranty, but as soon as mine is up, it's getting rooted!

Deepsepia
11-29-2011, 07:00 PM
iPad, a much much nicer reading experience, IMO

Griffin
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
iPad, a much much nicer reading experience, IMO

I doubt very many people will want to go to your place to read.

KevinD
11-30-2011, 01:14 AM
iPad =iPaid too much

Southern Belle
11-30-2011, 01:39 AM
I've never tried e readers so I can't say either way. I still read printed material but I'm not against a kindle or ipad.

KevinD
11-30-2011, 01:42 AM
I still prefer a book, but with the traveling, the e-readers (no matter what type you may have) are much more convenient, no doubt.