PDA

View Full Version : Confederate flag on laptop reported as 'bias incident' at Framingham State

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Peter Fricke, Investigative Reporter - Campus Reform

http://i.imgur.com/zsmP4dS.jpg

Framingham State University sent a campus email alert after a student reported a “bias incident” involving an image of a Confederate flag displayed on a laptop.

A screenshot of the email, with the names of individuals and the school redacted, was posted on Imgur Friday morning, and the individual who uploaded the picture informed Campus Reform that Framingham was the source of the email.

The Gatepost, Framingham’s student newspaper, confirmed in an article Sunday that the email came from Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer Sean Huddleston.

“The Bias Protocol and Response Team has been made aware of the incident, and will meet to determine any measures that may be needed to respond to this incident,” Huddleston tells students, noting that a similar incident involving a different individual had been reported last month.

“Our primary goal continues to be to expeditiously address and resolve incidents of bias that impede our progress toward a welcoming and inclusive campus community,” he asserts, adding with a touch of satisfaction that he has personally met with the complainant, and “was informed that a productive discussion between the person making the report and the laptop owner about the incident was achieved.”

Huddleston then proceeds to outline the conflicting perspectives regarding the Confederate flag, pointing out that while some consider it to be “an inflammatory symbol of oppression,” others see it primarily as “a symbol of shared southern heritage” and a commemoration of the Civil War.

“However, because southern states represented by the Confederacy during the Civil War sought to protect and continue the practice of slavery, the Confederate flag is regarded by many as symbolic of the hate that has been associated with slavery and other forms of oppression,” he continues, in an indication of which side the university supports on the matter.

“Symbols such as these are not condoned by [redacted] University, as they violate the core values of our institution and are not considered consistent with our desire to maintain a safe, respectful, and welcoming campus community for all,” Huddleston declared.

He then explains the purpose of bias incident reporting, saying that “bias incidents are situations that may not rise to the level of a criminal act, but still clearly communicate offensive or derogatory behaviors,” and that the university’s goal is to address, and if possible prevent, such actions.

“We recognize that bias incidents are upsetting for the entire campus community, but especially for the target(s) and witness(es) of these incidents,” he concludes, attaching a list of the various resources the university provides to help students cope with their trauma.

Hal-9000
11-23-2015, 05:38 PM
...help students cope with their trauma.

If a desktop picture of a flag on someone's PC upsets you to that degree, you do need help.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2015, 05:38 PM

If a desktop picture of a flag on someone's PC upsets you to that degree, you do need help.

:racist:

Hal-9000
11-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Oh and I suppose my current desktop is bothering you too?? [-(

http://i.imgur.com/qFpVsUO.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2015, 05:48 PM
:klan:

Pony
11-23-2015, 05:49 PM

That's the problem, We have generations of kids that never learned to cope with anything. They were protected, coddled and spoiled by mommy and daddy (and society) until the day they get thrown out into the real world unprepared for life. I firmly believe this is part of the reason we see more and more horrible acts being committed by young people. I think in part todays news stories here prove my point.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
:kkk:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-23-2015, 05:56 PM
“The Bias Protocol and Response Team has been made aware of the incident"

:wtf:

Hal-9000
11-23-2015, 06:05 PM
That's the problem, We have generations of kids that never learned to cope with anything. They were protected, coddled and spoiled by mommy and daddy (and society) until the day they get thrown out into the real world unprepared for life. I firmly believe this is part of the reason we see more and more horrible acts being committed by young people. I think in part todays news stories here prove my point.

I see it as the Demolition Man society. Pretty soon harsh words or the tone of your sentence will be a crime :|

HyperV12
11-23-2015, 06:57 PM
I see it as the Demolition Man society. Pretty soon harsh words or the tone of your sentence will be a crime :|

Exactly! Too many butthurt whiners around.

Hugh_Janus
11-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Exactly! Too many butthurt whiners around.

real world sensitivity disorder :slap:

Hal-9000
11-23-2015, 07:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iJdWEuD.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
11-23-2015, 07:46 PM
The still played dodge-ball at my kids elementary

Hal-9000
11-23-2015, 08:05 PM
The still played dodge-ball at my kids elementary

:shock: they got a time machine there too?

perrhaps
11-23-2015, 09:12 PM
It might be better to just lobotomize children at birth, so nothing would ever upset them.

RBP
11-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Does the person whose privacy was violated by someone looking at their laptop get an email? Unless the laptop owner grabbed someone by the neck and forced them to view the flag while telling them "you're next, negro" this is complete and utter bullshit.

If their search history is displayed, is that fair game? Could a feminist see a guy reading a men's rights site and file a complaint? Would he have to formally explain himself? Conservatives, Christians, and Carnivores better what what information sources you use!

This isn't a slippery slope, we've reached the bottom of the mudslide here.

HyperV12
11-24-2015, 12:36 AM
real world sensitivity disorder :slap:

Semantics. :lol:

Hugh_Janus
11-24-2015, 12:40 AM
you calling me a jew?

http://i67.tinypic.com/b7dyxx.jpg

deebakes
11-24-2015, 01:57 AM
:x

Hal-9000
11-24-2015, 06:26 AM
Does the person whose privacy was violated by someone looking at their laptop get an email? Unless the laptop owner grabbed someone by the neck and forced them to view the flag while telling them "you're next, negro" this is complete and utter bullshit.

If their search history is displayed, is that fair game? Could a feminist see a guy reading a men's rights site and file a complaint? Would he have to formally explain himself? Conservatives, Christians, and Carnivores better what what information sources you use!

:lol: not sure why I'm laughing

Hal-9000
11-24-2015, 06:27 AM
you calling me a jew?

You're next, negro! :x

HyperV12
11-24-2015, 07:48 AM
you calling me a jew?

Klopp
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9f/4a/4e/9f4a4e660f3cc59aa2880f3cd0f7e2b5.jpg

RBP
11-24-2015, 12:32 PM
:lol: not sure why I'm laughing

because it's as ridiculous as the story. ;)

perrhaps
11-24-2015, 08:22 PM

What would the result be if the person and his laptop with the "offensive" image were in a clearly-designated "safe zone" when the image was viewed?

RBP
11-25-2015, 02:15 AM
What would the result be if the person and his laptop with the "offensive" image were in a clearly-designated "safe zone" when the image was viewed?

They wouldn't be safe. :lol: