PDA

View Full Version : Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland found dead on tour

PorkChopSandwiches
12-04-2015, 06:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zSQsHmf.gif

Scott Weiland, former frontman of the US rock band Stone Temple Pilots, has died at the age of 48.
The singer's manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed his death on Thursday night.
A statement, on Instagram, said Weiland had "passed away in his sleep while on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his band The Wildabouts".
Weiland had a history of drug problems. He formed the Grammy-winning band Stone Temple Pilots, and was a member of supergroup Velvet Underground.
Actress Juliette Lewis was one of the first to pay tribute to the singer following news of his death: "Sad to hear about Scott Weiland passing. He was a once of a kind epic force onstage. Thoughts are w[ith] his family," she tweeted.
Rock band Wheatus, best known for the hit single Teenage Dirtbag, tweeted: "We opened for @STPBand in 2000. I watched them side stage & Scott Weiland destroyed me, he was the real thing. Seeing him changed me 4 ever."

Born in California, Weiland formed the band Stone Temple Pilots with brothers Robert and Dean DeLeo in the late 1990s and went on to enjoy early critical and commercial success.
But the success of tracks such as Big Empty, Vasoline and Interstate Love Song, which propelled the 1994 album Purple to the top of the US charts, was marred by in-fighting among band members.
The band took a number of breaks, with Weiland eventually leaving and forming the supergroup Velvet Revolver - with former Guns N' Roses members Slash (guitars), Duff McKagan (bass) and Matt Sorum (drums) - in 2002.
However, the singer's drug addiction issues were becoming increasingly problematic.
In 1995, the singer was convicted of buying crack cocaine and sentenced to probation.
He was jailed in 1999 for violating his probation after being convicted of heroin possession in 1998, and four years later, in 2003, sentenced to three years' probation for drug possession.
In 2008, he was sentenced to eight days in jail after pleading no contest to a drink driving charge.
Velvet Revolver had to frequently alter its schedules to accommodate Weiland's court appearances and spells in rehab and the band's 2007 release, Libertad, was the last to feature Weiland on vocals.
They split with Weiland the following year, blaming the singer's "erratic behaviour".
Weiland later returned to the reformed Stone Temple Pilots - but in 2013, they too ejected him from the band, claiming he had been "misappropriating" their name to further his solo career.
Reports of Weiland's death began to circulate after musician Dave Navarro reportedly tweeted: "Just learned our friend Scott Weiland has died. So gutted, I am thinking of his family tonight." That tweet later appeared to have been removed.
No immediate cause of death was given in the official statement. The statement asked for "the privacy of Scott's family be respected".
Weiland's current band, Scott Weiland & the Wildabouts, were scheduled to play at a Medina, Minnesota, concert venue, on Thursday. The event was cancelled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35003719

redred
12-04-2015, 06:53 AM
:tup: I'm sure I took him out of my death list this year

Goofy
12-04-2015, 07:45 AM
Wasted talent

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2015, 11:54 AM
No immediate cause of death was given in the official statement.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was drugs or drug related. Agree 100% with Goof, what a waste.

DemonGeminiX
12-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Still gave us some great music. :rip:

redred
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was drugs or drug related.

got to agree there

Muddy
12-04-2015, 02:44 PM
I saw him live 2 years ago... Was incredible.. Just like listening to the album...

fricnjay
12-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Never got to see him live, guess now I never will. So Sad he was so talented, just couldn't keep that needle out oh his veins. :rip:

Muddy
12-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Never got to see him live, guess now I never will. So Sad he was so talented, just couldn't keep that needle out oh his veins. :rip:

He even had the megaphone out on the stage.. It was great.. Mannnn I was singing my ass off..

fricnjay
12-04-2015, 03:32 PM
I would of really liked to have seen STP, they where my favorite of the 90s grunge bands.

redred
12-04-2015, 05:07 PM
porky hope you don't mind but i had to edit your post to include a news story :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-04-2015, 05:51 PM
I was hammered, just trying to get it out :tup: Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYubNKNbF8E

Hal-9000
12-04-2015, 06:02 PM
He did a good job singing with the remaining Doors members as well

deebakes
12-05-2015, 06:01 AM
:woot: minnesota

deebakes
12-05-2015, 06:01 AM
and :rip: very sad, but not terribly unexpected

Noilly Pratt
12-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Sad - This from his ex. I feel sorry for her and his kids.

December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again – because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer – or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this the first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.

- Mary Forsberg Weiland

Hal-9000
12-09-2015, 05:50 PM
She's well spoken and it is a good message. However 'I don't share this with you to cast judgment', yes you do.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2015, 11:16 PM
The Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland died of a toxic mix of drugs that included cocaine, according to a medical examiner's office in Minnesota where he was found dead on his tour bus in early December.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said Friday that the 48-year-old Weiland had cocaine, alcohol and the amphetamine MDA — a drug similar to ecstasy — in his system. The medical examiner also noted a history of cardiovascular disease, asthma and multi-substance dependence.

Weiland's body was found on his tour bus in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington on Dec. 3. The report said the time of death was 8:27 p.m. and that the death was accidental.

Weiland's three-decade career in music also included solo albums and a spot in the supergroup Velvet Revolver.

He rose to fame with Stone Temple Pilots, which became one of the most commercially successful bands to come out of the early 1990s grunge rock movement. The band's 1992 debut album, "Core," sold 8 million units. Stone Temple Pilots broke up in 2003, and Weiland went on to front Velvet Revolver, alongside rock luminaries Slash, Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan of Guns N' Roses and Dave Kushner of Wasted Youth.

The Stone Temple Pilots reunited in 2008 and split again in 2013.

Weiland's current band, Scott Weiland & the Wildabouts, had been scheduled to play a show in Medina, Minnesota, on Dec. 3, but it had been canceled a week earlier due to poor ticket sales.

Police said they found a small amount of cocaine in Weiland's bedroom and elsewhere on the tour bus, and briefly held a California man who was traveling with Weiland. But Bloomington Deputy Police Chief Mike Hartley said authorities won't pursue a drug charge against the man because it would be too difficult to prove the drugs belonged to him.

Weiland had a long string of drug- and alcohol-related arrests and stints in rehab. In 1995, he was arrested after deputies found him carrying crack and heroin. He pleaded guilty to felony heroin possession in 1998. And his arrests for drug possession and stints in rehab led the Stone Temple Pilots to cancel tour dates and contributed to their 2003 breakup.

redred
12-18-2015, 11:21 PM
what a sad surprise

Goofy
12-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Drugs? No way! :faint:

deebakes
12-19-2015, 08:42 PM
:hand:

lies, minnesota has no drugs :nono:

:fbd: