PDA

View Full Version : Woman's hit-and-run escape foiled after her own car calls police on her

Teh One Who Knocks
12-07-2015, 12:24 PM
BY Alfred Ng - The New York Daily News

http://i.imgur.com/q4OPtagl.jpg

A Florida woman thought she got away from a hit-and-run, until her own car called the cops.

Cathy Bernstein, 57, tried speeding off after hitting both a truck and a van near Northwest Prima Vista Boulevard, but her Ford cut her escape short, police said.

The car's 911 Assist system SYNC, gave details to police, including her location, and put Bernstein on the phone with a dispatch. The system automatically calls police if the car's been involved in an accident that deploys a car's airbag, according to Ford's website.

While on the line, she denied that she had been in a car accident, telling the operator a car had only pulled out in front of her black Ford but didn't hit her.

The operator seemed skeptical.

"Your car wouldn't call us if someone pulled out in front of you unless there had been an accident," she said in the recording obtained by WPBF.

Around the same time, police were investigating a hit-and-run report on Northwest Prima Vista Boulevard, after Anna Preston said a black Ford crashed into her van and ruined her Christmas presents, she told ABC7.

When police went to Bernstein's house, they saw the Ford with a wrecked front-end, with silver paint from Preston's car still on it. The airbag was also deployed. She continued her lies, telling cops she had hit a tree, cops said.

She finally admitted to hitting a car and leaving the scene, and police learned she was actually fleeing from another crash before she rammed into Preston's car.

Both Preston and Bernstein went to the same hospital after the accident.

"I saw her in the hospital," Preston told reporters. "I just went by, and I'm assuming she had a worse night than I did."

Bernstein was charged with a hit-and-run, and later released from St. Lucie County Jail.

Goofy
12-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Eejit :shakehead:

HyperV12
12-07-2015, 05:01 PM
:rofl: