PDA

View Full Version : Finland plans to give every citizen a basic income of 800 euros a month

Teh One Who Knocks
12-07-2015, 12:40 PM
by Olivia Goldhill - Quartz

http://i.imgur.com/qJshI5w.jpg

The Finnish government is currently drawing up plans to introduce a national basic income. A final proposal won’t be presented until November 2016, but if all goes to schedule, Finland will scrap all existing benefits and instead hand out €800 ($870) per month—to everyone.

It sounds far-fetched, but it’s looking likely that Finland will carry through with the idea. Whereas several Dutch cities will introduce basic income next year and Switzerland is holding a referendum on the subject, there is strongest political and public support for the idea in Finland.

A poll commissioned by the government agency planning the proposal, the Finnish Social Insurance Institution or KELA, showed that 69% support (link in Finnish) a basic income plan. Prime minister Juha Sipilä is in favor of the idea and he’s backed by most of the major political parties. “For me, a basic income means simplifying the social security system,” he says.

But for those outside Finland, the plan raises two obvious questions: Why is this a good idea, and how will it work?

It may sound counterintuitive, but the proposal is meant to tackle unemployment. Finland’s unemployment rate is at a 15-year high, at 9.53% and a basic income would allow people to take on low-paying jobs without personal cost. At the moment, a temporary job results in lower welfare benefits, which can lead to an overall drop in income.

Previous experiments have shown that universal basic income can have a positive effect. Everyone in the Canadian town of Dauphin was given a stipend from 1974 to 1979, and though there was a drop in working hours, this was mainly because men spent more time in school and women took longer maternity leaves. Meanwhile, when thousands of unemployed people in Uganda were given unsupervised grants of twice their monthly income, working hours increased by 17% and earnings increased by 38%.

One of the major downsides, of course, is the cost of handing out money to so many people. Liisa Hyssälä, director general of KELA, has said that the plan will save the government millions. But, as Bloomberg calculated, giving €800 of basic income to the population of 5.4 million every month would cost €52.2 billion a year. Finland only plans to give the basic income to adults, not every citizen, but with around 4.9 million adults in Finland, this would still cost €46.7 billion per year. The government expects to have €49.1 billion in revenue in 2016.

Another serious consideration is that some people may be worse off under the plan. As the proposal hasn’t been published yet, it’s not yet known exactly who will lose out. But those who currently receive housing support or disability benefits could conceivably end up with less under national basic income, since the plan calls for scrapping existing benefits. And as national basic income would only give a monthly allowance to adults, a single mother of three could struggle to support herself compared to, for example, a neighbor with the same government support but no children and a part-time job.

Finally, the proposal raises the question of whether it’s really fair to give a relatively better off individual the same amount of welfare as someone who’s truly struggling. Finland’s constitution insists that all citizens must be equal, though, of course, equality can be interpreted in many different ways. So far, there’s no definitive answer as to whether national basic income will create a more or less equal society.

Goofy
12-07-2015, 01:27 PM
:shock: I think i'll have to move to Jussi-land :-k

Hugh_Janus
12-07-2015, 07:33 PM

for £575.... are you pissed? It's like the most depressing country in the world :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

for £575.... are you pissed? It's like the most depressing country in the world :lol:

Hugh_Janus
12-07-2015, 07:34 PM
wtf?

Jezter
12-07-2015, 07:51 PM
You are welcome! :D

Heeeyyy! :(

Teh One Who Knocks
12-07-2015, 07:55 PM
So where is all this magical free money going to come from? Does Finland have a special money tree that grows in the snow? :-k

Hugh_Janus
12-07-2015, 08:03 PM
So where is all this magical free money going to come from? Does Finland have a special money tree that grows in the snow? :-k

easy, everyone will be taxed just over 800 euros per month :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

why the fuck am I double posting in a single post?

- - - Updated - - -

Jezter
12-07-2015, 09:19 PM

That is a damn good question. They haven't told us that either... I guess they will just do what they do best: TAX EVERYTHING EVEN MORE! As if everything weren't already taxed to the fucking max.

Jezter
12-08-2015, 07:15 PM
As it turns out, this is all bullshit. Our papers are today reporting that this news article started making the rounds on foreign media for some reason. There are no actual plans of this kind of thing happening.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I want my free Finlandia money :x

Hugh_Janus
12-08-2015, 07:23 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

these should be in separate posts :wha:
I want my free Finlandia money :x

it's just like canadian money though

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2015, 07:37 PM
it's just like canadian money though

:sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-08-2015, 07:44 PM
As it turns out, this is all bullshit. Our papers are today reporting that this news article started making the rounds on foreign media for some reason. There are no actual plans of this kind of thing happening.

No, no no....you owe it to me

Jezter
12-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Now that we are taking it away...NOW you want it. Tsk tsk... [-(