PDA

View Full Version : Ecclestone wants F1 engine equality

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Omnisport

http://i.imgur.com/Dts2QVs.jpg

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone wants to introduce engine equality across the sport from 2017 and has vowed to stand firm against pressure from top teams.

Merecedes have enjoyed near total domination over the sport since hybrid technology was introduced in 2014, romping to consecutive constructors' championships as Lewis Hamilton has beaten team-mate Nico Rosberg in the drivers' standings.

While the German constructor has continued to flourish, their competitors have struggled to keep up but Ecclestone is keen to create a level playing field going forward.

"What we are trying to do at the moment is to get regulations for a new engine that is the same for everyone," Ecclestone told Sky Sports News.

"We don't want different engines for different teams if we don't have to, if we have to that is what will happen, but that is what we would rather not happen.

"If they [the top teams] don't then maybe the FIA will have to write the regulations.

"If you like it, good, if you don't, sorry, but you've a choice of stop [competing in F1] or you can arbitrate."

fricnjay
12-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I hate this crap this is why I dont watch much NASCAR. What happen to innovation bread through competition? Even racing has become "PC"

Hugh_Janus
12-09-2015, 07:11 PM
what the fuck happened to nascar? I watched the last race because there were 4 drivers in the running, then I found out that it was basically run like a world cup where there were drivers "knocked out" during the season.... and then some sort of "fair play" safety car bollocks and to top it off, the racing was pretty shit and there were no crashes

also, if I was mercedes, I'd be pissed about this after spending hundreds of millions of pounds developing their engine but because the other manufacturers did a shit job it's "not fair"

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2015, 07:23 PM
what the fuck happened to nascar? I watched the last race because there were 4 drivers in the running, then I found out that it was basically run like a world cup where there were drivers "knocked out" during the season.... and then some sort of "fair play" safety car bollocks and to top it off, the racing was pretty shit and there were no crashes

also, if I was mercedes, I'd be pissed about this after spending hundreds of millions of pounds developing their engine but because the other manufacturers did a shit job it's "not fair"

We actually make parts for one of the four NASCAR teams that was in the last race of the Chase (Furniture Row Racing, they're the only team not based in North Carolina, they're based here in Colorado). The specs for all the parts are supplied by NASCAR to all the teams. Some teams and manufacturers started bitching many years ago that things weren't fair in NASCAR and that the same teams were winning all the time, so NASCAR slowly started making everything identical. The cars all turn the same horsepower, they all have the same dimensions and must fit a template supplied by NASCAR, everything is controlled so that yeah, there might be Ford, Chevrolet, and Toyota out there racing, but basically all the cars are identical, and it is killing the sport. The same thing will happen to F1 if they try and make things "fair" like NASCAR did. NASCAR basically has become the IROC series (now defunct) where drivers all raced each other in the same identical cars.

Hugh_Janus
12-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I know all bout the engine/body rules etc, I'm talking about the championship itself and the fact basically, the points for the last race were reset to zero and whoever finished first out of the four drivers in contention won and that is bollocks

HyperV12
12-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Ecclestone is a power mad control freak. A very rich control freak but....