PDA

View Full Version : Major Hotels Urged To Create BIble-Free Rooms, Organization Says Christianity "Calls For Killing Nonbelievers"

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
By Sheena Vasani - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/M3Sf8A7.jpg

The Freedom from Religion Foundation is petitioning 15 major hotel chains to offer Bible-free rooms.

The organization, which aims to uphold and defend the separation of church and state, has contacted those chains responsible for more than 33,000 hotels in the US and more than 4.1 million rooms worldwide to do so, said the foundation in a press release.

They argue the company creating the bibles - Gideons International - is “exploiting hotels and motels to proselytize a captive audience.”

"Those who must read the bible every day will surely take precautions to travel with their own copies. The rest of us deserve a break from mindless evangelizing when we are on vacation," the organization wrote in a letter to the hotels. "Many of your guests are freethinkers — atheists, agnostics, skeptics or 'nones' — who are deeply offended to be charged high fees only to be proselytized in the privacy of their own bedrooms. Not only that, the bible calls for killing nonbelievers, apostates, gays, 'stubborn sons' and women who transgress biblical double standards," they added.

The assertion the bible "calls for killing nonbelievers" has sparked controversy, particularly in light of recent conversations about radicalized Muslim-Americans and recent terrorist attacks.

As Meaghan Ellis of The Inquistir writes, "Since atheists argue that the bible advocates violence just as the Qur’an does, many people now question the existence of radicalized Christians. There have been a number of cases where murders of homosexuals have been labeled “hate crimes” with no association to any form of biblical practice, but could it be true?"

Some Christians and others on Twitter have found these comparisons and the Freedom From Religion Foundation's work offensive.

"My God does not call for the killing of non-believers. My Christian Bible is not like the Koran," said one Christian on social media.

Another individual compared the Freedom From Religion Foundation to ISIS.

The foundation urges the hotel industry to follow the lead of other hotels who have removed religious texts from their rooms, such as Travelodge in the UK, who removed over 500 bibles from their rooms in 2014 in "in order not to discriminate against any religion."

The practice of placing Bibles in hotel rooms began in Britain during the 1800s. Since then free Bibles have been distributed to over 194 countries worldwide.

fricnjay
12-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Yea this is total BS, in no way shape or form does the Christian Bible have a call to kill anyone

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Yea this is total BS, in no way shape or form does the Christian Bible have a call to kill anyone

Nor does the hotel FORCE you to open the drawer and take out and read the bible that's in there

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
I've said it before, militant atheists are becoming much worse than the overly religious Christians in this country

fricnjay
12-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Its unconstitutional is what it is. Its freedom of religion, not freedom from religion which is what this calls themselves, I mean come on really. And there is no bill of right that says freedom from being offended.

Noilly Pratt
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
...so don't open the damned side table drawer and read the bible if you don't want to...