PDA

View Full Version : 'They Said No': Iowa Panhandlers Shamed For Allegedly Turning Down Job

Teh One Who Knocks
12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
By Karin Sun - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/tz9Mmy1.jpg

A man shamed two roadside pandhandlers who reportedly turned down his offer of employment.

The man, identified only as "Mike," spotted the two young men asking for money on the side of the road near a Taco Bell restaurant, the Daily Mail reports. The men were holding a sign that read, "Broke and hungry."

Mike reportedly approached the men and offered them a job, but was turned down.

After the panhandlers declined his offer, Mike made a large yellow sign that read: "Offered these guys a job. They said no. Don't give money," and stood next to the men holding up the sign for passersby to see.

The man's nephew, Michael Wooldridge of Muscatine, Iowa, posted a picture of the scene (pictured above) to Facebook on Dec. 12 with the caption: "My Uncle Mike offered these guys a job said he was busy right now could use the help they said no so he did this !! Wow don't give these guys any money."

The Facebook post was shared more than 13,000 times in two days.

Commenters responding to the post called Mike's actions "awesome" and "hilarious."

"Screw that dude," one Facebook user wrote. "If he wants help with something, he needs to help his self as well.. good job for this guy calling out these boneheads."

The photo was also posted on Reddit, where users were more divided in their reactions.

"It's easy to forget that we're all just one bad decision, action, choice or etc...of being in a bad situation," one commenter wrote. "I used to be that guy."

"A large proportion of homeless are suffering from mental health woes," another user posted. "Not saying everything should be forgiven but a little understanding sometimes helps."

Other users in the forum questioned if the photo was a "social experiment" or a hoax.

Though it's unclear where this incident took place, one commenter who claimed to be from Muscatine said the situation had actually occurred and that the men in the photo had turned down a job offered to them at a local car wash in addition to Mike's offer.

"They were real jobs with real wages, one place they could have even earned extra take home money in tips," the user wrote.

HyperV12
12-15-2015, 01:28 PM
:tup:

Goofy
12-15-2015, 01:39 PM
I have an uncle Mike....... but that's not him :)

PorkChopSandwiches
12-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Awesome, and fuck those reddit users

perrhaps
12-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Awesome, and fuck those reddit users

No, thanks. Sounds too much like work.

Hugh_Janus
12-16-2015, 12:30 AM
but some of them are hot....

also, I use reddit, but only for finding f1 and motogp articles/videos

deebakes