PDA

View Full Version : Two men shot in Hillfields, Bristol

redred
12-16-2015, 06:16 PM
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/70E8/production/_87240982_87240981.jpg
Two men have been shot during an attack in the early hours in the Hillfields area of Bristol.
The men, aged 44 and 45, have been taken to Southmead Hospital, one with "life-changing" injuries, police said.
A property on The Greenway near Hillfields Park has been cordoned off while police and forensics teams investigate.
Police say they do not yet know the type of weapon used and no arrests have been made.
Supt Rhys Hughes said: "I would like to reassure the local community that a robust police investigation has been launched and you will see a heightened police presence in the local area.
"The mobile police station is currently at the scene along with PCSOs on high-visibility patrols."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-35110468

Goofy
12-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Damn Syrians :shakefist:

8-[

redred
12-16-2015, 06:18 PM
this will be a drugs deal gone bad

Hal-9000
12-16-2015, 06:23 PM
all of the folks in that picture are laughing....you guys are cheerful at shootings :lol:

redred
12-16-2015, 06:40 PM
:lol: it doesn't happen much so you have to enjoy it when you can

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 06:57 PM
How could this happen, I thought you outlawed guns ;)

HyperV12
12-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Someone forgot to tell the criminals. :oops:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 07:11 PM
:facepalm:

Goofy
12-16-2015, 07:30 PM
How could this happen, I thought you outlawed guns ;)

Handguns and automatic weapons yes, hunting rifles and shotguns can still be bought after police checks etc

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Handguns and automatic weapons yes, hunting rifles and shotguns can still be bought after police checks etc

Serious question then, when you guys talk about us needing more gun laws, all you're concerned with is we are allowed to carry handguns?

redred
12-16-2015, 07:56 PM
I haven't got a problem with you guys owning guns but even you must be getting fed up of putting on the news and seeing another mass shooting at a school or uni , and as an outsider saying teachers should be armed is like saying a fire at a service station needs more petrol added to it , if the teacher etc gets shot the shooter gets another gun to play with

HyperV12
12-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Serious question then, when you guys talk about us needing more gun laws, all you're concerned with is we are allowed to carry handguns?

Speaking for me, it is the apparent lack of police checks. Correct me please but the way to get a handgun is to go to a shop/dealer buy one wait 14 days then go pick it up? Provided you have no felony convictions then you can have it, right?

Hugh_Janus
12-16-2015, 08:11 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but if I lived over there, I would 100% buy a handgun and maybe a short barreled shotgun for home protection, in fact it would probably be the third thing I'd buy after a car and a house. What I wouldn't do is buy eleventy million machine guns which IMO is insane that it is even legal :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Speaking for me, it is the apparent lack of police checks. Correct me please but the way to get a handgun is to go to a shop/dealer buy one wait 14 days then go pick it up? Provided you have no felony convictions then you can have it, right?

I live in California, and there is a background check and a waiting period. I'm not sure what more should be done. The police don't get involved but the FBI does.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 08:13 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but if I lived over there, I would 100% buy a handgun and maybe a short barreled shotgun for home protection, in fact it would probably be the third thing I'd buy after a car and a house. What I wouldn't do is buy eleventy million machine guns which IMO is insane that it is even legal :lol:

eleventy million is kinda a lot, but you need to be able to arm your militia :)

DemonGeminiX
12-16-2015, 08:14 PM

It depends on the state you live in and the speed of the background check.

There's no waiting period in the state where I live. If I roll into a gun store, I can walk out with a handgun 15 minutes later. Actually, when I bought mine, it took me 2 hours. They put several handguns in front of me and I had to decide which one I wanted. Ask the guys here about my ability to make decisions quickly. :lol:

There's an electronic federal background check system maintained by the FBI that all gun buyers must submit to. Your information is fed into a national database and if your record's clean, then you're good to go. If you have any felony convictions, you will be denied. The system can get backlogged, but mine took 30 seconds the day I bought my gun. The gun shop guys told me that that's a rare occasion. I got lucky. According to law in my state, your background check must return a decision within 3 days. If there's no decision handed down by then, then you can go get your gun.

Hugh_Janus
12-16-2015, 08:15 PM
and the fact you can buy guns in a supermarket is mental.... :lol:

"right, got the toothpaste, bread, milk and a couple of the old croissants... what else did I need....:-k oh yeah, an uzi" :rofl:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 08:19 PM

"right, got the toothpaste, bread, milk and a couple of the old croissants... what else did I need....:-k oh yeah, an uzi" :rofl:

:hand: No you cant, I think in all states you have to use an authorized gun dealer

DemonGeminiX
12-16-2015, 08:22 PM

We can't own full automatics without a special license. I might need some help on this because I don't know the exact details but it's either called a Title 2 or Title 3 license that you need to get before you can purchase one legally. It's a federal thing. Full automatics are very heavily regulated.

The AR's and AK's that you guys see in the crimes committed are not full automatics. Their semi-autos, just like our handguns. You squeeze the trigger, you fire one shot. You release the trigger, the next shot loads. Then you squeeze the trigger to fire the next shot.

DemonGeminiX
12-16-2015, 08:25 PM

I think you got alcohol and guns mixed up. You have to go to a federally licensed gun dealer to buy a handgun. You can't just walk into Wal-mart and buy a handgun. You can get a shotgun and maybe an air rifle there, but for anything else, you definitely need to go to a gun store.

redred
12-16-2015, 08:27 PM
You can get ammo? Is that right ?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Yes, you can buy ammo at Walmart or a sporting goods store

DemonGeminiX
12-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Nothing really deadly. I buy my target ammo at Walmart, except when it's on sale with free shipping at Cabelas.com. My hollow points, I have to get those online or at a gun store.

HyperV12
12-16-2015, 08:48 PM
I have to renew my license every 5yrs and the police come out and inspect my storage cabinet and guns each renewal and at every house move. (They can also spot check anytime if they wish)
Someone, I think it was DGX, in another thread said that we have a different culture when it comes to guns over here and that is right. They are not at all common here and therefore treated completely differently to the US. The U.K. is the size of a state over there (in fact there are 11US states that are larger than us) so comparing UK and US stats is a bit misleading. That said, the more guns there are in circulation increases the likelihood that some of them are going to be used inappropriately and the gun culture in the US is such that there are a lot out there.

HyperV12
12-16-2015, 08:59 PM
I think you got alcohol and guns mixed up. You have to go to a federally licensed gun dealer to buy a handgun. You can't just walk into Wal-mart and buy a handgun. You can get a shotgun and maybe an air rifle there, but for anything else, you definitely need to go to a gun store.

That is frightening to me, so no checks (other than age?) no license requirements?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2015, 09:05 PM
In CA they require a gun safety course that has to be renewed each year if you want to buy another gun, otherwise after you take it, you can buy a gun and don't ever have to take it again. This was only applied to handguns, but has now been applied to all gun purchases

Goofy
12-16-2015, 09:32 PM

I dunno man, it's just completely alien to what we're used to over here :shrug: If i stayed in the US i'd own lots and lots of guns simply because everyone else has them......... and that's the problem, you need a gun to protect yourself from all the other people who have guns. Nobody has handguns over here so i really don't feel i need a weapon on me when i walk down the street........ if someone's carrying a shotgun/rifle then i'm pretty much gonna see it :lol: Of course shootings still happen over here, and some do involve handguns........ but they're few and far between :)

US Brits probably shouldn't comment on threads relating to US gun control tbh because we simply can't fully comprehend it.......... different worlds, that's all :)

Pony
12-16-2015, 09:54 PM
That is frightening to me, so no checks (other than age?) no license requirements?

I'm not sure, I assume you need the same background check as you would get for a handgun,ETC. I just looked at walmart's site, they are in the sporting goods section with the hunting, fishing gear and paintball guns and air rifles. I assume locked up behind the counter.

That brings up a thought on the differences between there and here, I assume hunting isn't really big over there? Here with so much open space outside the cities hunting is a pretty big sport. We're in deer season now.

I dunno man, it's just completely alien to what we're used to over here :shrug: If i stayed in the US i'd own lots and lots of guns simply because everyone else has them........ and that's the problem, you need a gun to protect yourself from all the other people who have guns. Nobody has handguns over here so i really don't feel i need a weapon on me when i walk down the street........ if someone's carrying a shotgun/rifle then i'm pretty much gonna see it :lol: Of course shootings still happen over here, and some do involve handguns........ but they're few and far between :)

US Brits probably shouldn't comment on threads relating to US gun control tbh because we simply can't fully comprehend it.......... different worlds, that's all :)

That's a myth. I think it's assumed that because there are as many guns as people in this country that everyone has one. I don't. The majority of people I know don't, the majority of those that do have a handgun or a rifle kept at home for protection. It's really quite a small percentage that carry 24/7.
I'm in a large suburb pretty close to Cleveland, I feel very comfortable walking around at night unarmed.

Also the less dense the population gets as you get further away from the city the higher and higher the percentage of people who own guns gets. You get out into farm country I'd bet 100% of the households own guns. That said, the rural communities also are very good at teaching their kids to properly respect and handle a firearm, usually starting surprisingly young. When was the last time you heard of a country kid going crazy shooting up the place? Never? There's a reason for that.

Pony
12-16-2015, 09:59 PM
The U.K. is the size of a state over there (in fact there are 11US states that are larger than us) so comparing UK and US stats is a bit misleading.

That brings up a good point, I would like to see that statistic redone with a more realistic comparison, similar sized state with similar population VS countries over the pond. I'm sure our numbers would still be much higher but it would at least be a "fair" comparison. :lol:

HyperV12
12-16-2015, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure, I assume you need the same background check as you would get for a handgun,ETC. I just looked at walmart's site, they are in the sporting goods section with the hunting, fishing gear and paintball guns and air rifles. I assume locked up behind the counter.

That brings up a thought on the differences between there and here, I assume hunting isn't really big over there? Here with so much open space outside the cities hunting is a pretty big sport. We're in deer season now.

Hunting is popular here but not in the same way as with you. All the land here is owned by someone so to hunt (pheasant, partridge etc) you must get the landowners permission. Deer hunting here is very restricted and also stupidly expensive but does happen. In Scotland going deer stalking is a major deal but as I said expensive. I do game bird shooting mostly but the farmers who's land I shoot on also allows me to shoot deer if I can get a clean shot (muntjac deer btw) and hare and foxes. He insists on the hare and foxes because of coursers ruining his crops.

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2015, 12:05 AM

Why is it so frightening? Anybody in the US who follows the laws of the state and nation are less likely to commit crimes. They're law-abiding citizens. They're more than likely to help protect people that are potential victims of a crime while waiting for law enforcement to arrive. I'd put my faith in that rather than the laws of California or New York. Granted it's not perfect, but I challenge you to name one law or system that is.

Again, the checks depends on the state. Each state has their own laws. Here in Georgia, you have to be 18 and you need to do a federal background check to purchase a firearm. If you've been convicted of any violent crime, you're not eligible to own a firearm. If you've ever been committed to a mental institution, you're not eligible to own a firearm. There's no gun registration for either handguns or long guns in GA. If you want to carry concealed or open, you have to get a Georgia Weapons License. The GWL requires 3 background checks: 2 federal, and 1 state. If you can legally buy a handgun from a dealer without any hiccups then you should be able to get the weapon's license pretty easily. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to soon.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-17-2015, 12:15 AM
It's almost impossible to get a CCW permit in CA

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Oh, and like Pony, even though I own a firearm, I don't carry. Even when I finally get the GWL, I probably still won't carry. I'm pretty ok with rolling around my area unarmed, and I know all of the cops here, and most of the business owners as well, so I generally don't have to go far to get help if I need it.

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2015, 12:19 AM
It's almost impossible to get a CCW permit in CA

I know. Not to be a pain in the ass about it, but if you moved to Arizona, you wouldn't need a CCW to carry. Their gun laws out there are ideal for gun owners/enthusiasts. If I was going to move out west and had a choice of locations, I'd move to Arizona.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-17-2015, 01:43 AM
AZ is a tough move, not a lot going on out there. It's way cheaper though.

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2015, 02:16 AM
Moving's hard, period. Adult, kid, woman, man. Unless you were born into a family that's always jumped from place to place (e.g. a military officer's family), then there's always gonna be pain.

RBP
12-17-2015, 02:39 AM
It does vary by state. In Illinois you have to have state issued Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card before you go anywhere near a store.

And to the earlier point, no, in most places you never see people walking around with guns.

HyperV12
12-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Why is it so frightening? Anybody in the US who follows the laws of the state and nation are less likely to commit crimes. They're law-abiding citizens. They're more than likely to help protect people that are potential victims of a crime while waiting for law enforcement to arrive. I'd put my faith in that rather than the laws of California or New York. Granted it's not perfect, but I challenge you to name one law or system that is.

Again, the checks depends on the state. Each state has their own laws. Here in Georgia, you have to be 18 and you need to do a federal background check to purchase a firearm. If you've been convicted of any violent crime, you're not eligible to own a firearm. If you've ever been committed to a mental institution, you're not eligible to own a firearm. There's no gun registration for either handguns or long guns in GA. If you want to carry concealed or open, you have to get a Georgia Weapons License. The GWL requires 3 background checks: 2 federal, and 1 state. If you can legally buy a handgun from a dealer without any hiccups then you should be able to get the weapon's license pretty easily. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to soon.

Its scary because there is no requirement for registration of the firearm. Here the police know where every legally bought firearm is, how it is stored and who owns it. I guess it boils down to the fundamental difference in attitude to firearms over here, the notion of having a gun at home for protection is alien. Luckily most criminals here don't carry guns either so...

HyperV12
12-17-2015, 08:58 AM
feckin double post!

Pony
12-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Really great that we can have a civil discussion about this. :tup:

redred
12-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Pony sucks cock :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM
So much for being civil. :lol:

RBP
12-17-2015, 12:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2015, 12:38 PM
For those interested, the National Rifle Association has compiled a good list of the various gun laws by state. Click on the state that you are interested in and you can see the laws for that state.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/

Pony
12-17-2015, 12:40 PM

I'm snitching on you. :nana:

redred
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2015, 12:42 PM
For those interested, the National Rifle Association has compiled a good list of the various gun laws by state. Click on the state that you are interested in and you can see the laws for that state.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/

Wikipedia has a pretty detailed accounting as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state