PDA

View Full Version : Doughnuts for breakfast, chocolate for lunch...but mum want NHS to pay for obese daughter's, 6, gastric op

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2015, 01:46 PM
By JENNY FRANCIS - The Sun

http://i.imgur.com/Tom0YX7.jpg

DOUGHNUTS for breakfast, chocolate in the afternoon and ice cream for dessert.

It sounds like a sugar addict’s blow-out.

But this is the daily diet of Philippa, six.

Instead of putting her on a healthy diet and taking her to play in the park, mum Melissa thinks taxpayers should fork out for a gastric balloon for Philippa.

Nurse Melissa, who herself has had gastric surgery, believes she and her daughter carry the “fat gene”.

And she wants early action to stop Philippa becoming more obese in later life.

The mother of two claims diets never work for her and will not work for Philippa. She says there is nothing she can do to help her daughter’s weight.

Melissa, 45, of Sidcup in Kent, says: “We are fighting the fat gene. I was morbidly obese before I had surgery and I was miserable.

“That’s my daughter’s future unless I speak out and demand that the Government develops fat camps and gives children gastric balloons to help them lose weight at an early age.

“Healthy eating for us means different things and if I tried to moderate a six-year-old’s diet I could scar her for life.

http://i.imgur.com/69IcPM3.jpg
Melissa tried 'fat freezing' procedure and needs 'vitamin drips' to get nutrients

“It’s important for children to have treats. I don’t want to deprive her.

“If she had a gastric balloon in a few years, it would stop her becoming fat throughout her life.

“Without it, she will end up 25st like I did.

“I want my child to have a slim future and if she doesn’t, I am blaming the Government.”

Melissa was an overweight child, eating an unhealthy diet like her own mum.

She says: “I loved food. I went from a fat child to a fatter teenager to a morbidly obese adult.

“I’d eat two Big Macs and large fries for lunch and have takeaways for dinner.

“I was eating 5,000 calories a day.”

Melissa has twins Philippa and Austin with husband Adam, 45, an IT consultant.

It was following their birth that she decided to go to extreme lengths to lose weight.

She says: “No diet I tried ever worked, as it was impossible to stick to. I decided to get gastric wrap surgery.

“I wanted quick results and knew it was my only chance.”

Melissa’s private operation cost £3,000 and saw surgeons stitch her stomach wall to make it smaller, leaving less space for food.

Unable to consume the vast amounts she was used to scoffing, Melissa shed 12st in 18 months.

Weighing 11st 5lb, Melissa then opted for a tummy tuck and breast and body lift to get rid of her loose skin — paying £35,000 for the private surgery.

She says: “It was like a magic wand was waved and my obesity was erased.

“I had to go through a lot of operations to get where I am. I don’t want my daughter to have to do the same. If she could have a procedure to stop her having to have all these operations later, it would be so much better.”

Melissa believes there is no change to her daughter’s diet or lifestyle better than a gastric balloon would be.

She says: “I can only do so much as a mum and there is nothing else I can try.

“She has the fat gene like me and the Government and schools need to step up.

“Schools should send them to fat camps and give them healthy school dinners.

“The Government should offer kids gastric balloons to stop them eating too much. I can’t put her on a rigorous diet — she deserves treats like other kids. My family history shows we all have the fat gene, as my mum, my aunt and me were all fat.”

Melissa — who also had fat-freezing weight-loss treatments and needs “vitamin drips” to get her nutrients — believes she provides a healthy diet for her daughter.

She says: “Philippa has toast with butter or a doughnut for breakfast. At school she has their dinners, which include curry and rice pudding and custard.

“After school we stop and get a cheese string or a Kinder egg because children need treats in moderation. Dinner is ham with new potatoes and dessert is ice cream.

“I have to hide the biscuits as she sneaks them.

“I am a busy working mum and there are times when I just give in to her to get some peace.”

The gastric balloon procedure involves passing a balloon into the stomach through the mouth, where it is then inflated. It reduces the amount a person can eat before feeling full. It is only available privately in the UK.

Melissa says: “These balloons are the perfect solution. Other kids notice Philippa is big, which can make her a target for bullies.

“I will do anything to stop her going through what I suffered.”

deebakes
12-17-2015, 01:50 PM
:fu:

HyperV12
12-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Eat less, move about more.

redred
12-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Should he taken away from her mother

fricnjay
12-17-2015, 03:20 PM