PDA

View Full Version : Study Finds SUV Drivers 50% Less Likely to Die in a Crash Than Those in Cars

AntZ
06-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Study Finds SUV Drivers 50% Less Likely to Die in a Crash Than Those in Cars

Published June 09, 2011 | High Gear Media

If you drive an SUV, you know that part of their allure is the feeling of safety they provide. Even compact SUVs can seem studier than their shorter, svelter car cousins. But studies haven't supported that impression of safety with facts -- until now.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has compiled data from auto accidents occurring on U.S. roads between 2006 and 2009. The major finding? Fatality rates for SUV drivers were significantly lower than for drivers of other models. How significantly? About 50%.

Before you rush out to junk that midsize sedan, though, you should know a few things:

1. The IIHS study attributes much of the SUV segment's improvement to the widespread availability of electronic stability control (ESC). Before that development came along, top-heavy SUVs were more prone to roll over in collisions, which largely negated their safety benefits of size and weight.

2. The study only looked at vehicles from the 2005 - 2008 model years. The data implies that vehicles from other years may fare similarly well, but only if they have ESC. (By 2008, ESC had become standard equipment on 96% of all SUVs.)

3. Not all cars performed poorly. Luxury vehicles seemed to do especially well. In fact, the best performing ride of all was the Audi A6, followed in the #2 spot by the Mercedes-Benz E-Class. Neither was associated with any fatalities during the study period.

Not surprisingly, the worst performers were cars that fell into the IIHS's "mini" car category, like the Chevrolet Aveo and the Kia Rio. (Only "mini" sports cars fared worse.) There were also a few pickups on the bottom rungs -- namely, the Nissan Titan, Chevrolet Colorado and Ford Ranger. That could be because as of 2008, ESC came standard on just 11% of pickups.

At the top of the scale, "large" SUVs like the Nissan Armada and Land Rover LR3 performed slightly better than "very large" models like the Chevy Suburban. In all, seven models -- the Audi A6, Mercedes E-Class, Toyota Sienna, Ford Edge, Nissan Armada, Land Rover Range Rover Sport, and Land Rover LR3 -- had no fatalities at all.

Muddy
06-09-2011, 07:41 PM
the Audi A6, Mercedes E-Class, Toyota Sienna, Ford Edge, Nissan Armada, Land Rover Range Rover Sport, and Land Rover LR3 -- had no fatalities at all.

Holy Shit!!

PorkChopSandwiches
06-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Wonder how the Smart Car rated.

http://dcist.com/attachments/dcist_sommer/fenty_smartcar.jpg

Muddy
06-09-2011, 07:45 PM
We have the Sienna... Thats very comforting seeing how much we travel in it, weekly..

Teh One Who Knocks
06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow, I never would have guessed that a vehicle that is twice the size and twice the weight would be safer than something tiny and light :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow, I never would have guessed that a vehicle that is twice the size and twice the weight would be safer than something tiny and light :-k

It is a crazy thought

Acid Trip
06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Because SUVs are the ones causing the crashes. Better to hit than be hit I guess.

Muddy
06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I wanna know where Obama fits into the whole thing, and is there some way we can throw him under a bus for something... ?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XnIC3Wpq0Zc/SilygHiTqvI/AAAAAAAAB-g/YhwiJ5sICpo/s400/Obama+car.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
http://radioactiveliberty.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/obama-little-car.jpg

AntZ
06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I had an A6 and my new car is the A6 chassis, so I guess I'm still alright. I know my Durango is safe, I only need to worry about a possible rollover if it got sideways at high speed, but that goes for all SUV's

Acid Trip
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
http://radioactiveliberty.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/obama-little-car.jpg

:rofl:

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Hal-9000
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Because SUVs are the ones causing the crashes. Better to hit than be hit I guess.

I have a personal hatred and disdain for all SUV drivers.Up here it's like - I have a SUV, that means the rules don't apply to me :)
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

deebakes
06-10-2011, 02:55 AM
is this a surprise? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 02:58 AM
is this a surprise? :-k

Yes :)

The next study they are going to do is, who lives longer, people shot through the heart with an arrow and those that aren't. I think the results may surprise you :tup:

deebakes
06-10-2011, 03:02 AM
i've got a whole list of studies that people should do :evil:

Arkady Renko
06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I wonder what these experts would find regarding drivers of tanks, APCs and six-axle trucks?

On a side note: I fucking hate those Chelsea Tractors. My office is in a downtown area and every damn day I see those morons parking like they own the streets.

AntZ
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Chelsea Tractors.

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/confused/012.gif

Arkady Renko
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/confused/012.gif

you know the Chelsea borough of London, and how it's got a reputation for being the poshest downtown area of the city. So it's a common joke to call SUVs (originally Land Rovers only, but by now it's all of them) Chelsea Tractors becuase they were originally intented for use in the country, off road and whatnot.

Godfather
06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Wait wait wait... you're telling me Smart Cars don't just "keep rolling" and let you walk away safely when I t-bone them in my Pathfinder? :-k

Arkady Renko
06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
as a matter of fact, the Smart has come a long way in terms of crash safety but if you run over it in a four ton pickup I suppose that's the limit of what they call safe to use within reason.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
as a matter of fact, the Smart has come a long way in terms of crash safety but if you run over it in a four ton pickup I suppose that's the limit of what they call safe to use within reason.

I don't think it needs to be a 4 ton pick-up ;)

http://i.imgur.com/vRiKr.jpg

Acid Trip
06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think it needs to be a 4 ton pick-up ;)

http://i.imgur.com/vRiKr.jpg

"The micro car, the smallest car for sale in the U.S. market, offers a good level of safety, according to new crash tests conducted by the insurance industry.

The 8-foot, 8-inch vehicle received the highest rating of good in front-end and side-impact testing by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, helping address some concerns that consumers may be more vulnerable in the tiny two-seater."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24599768/ns/business-autos/t/smart-car-gets-highest-score-crash-tests/

It was one below the highest rating for read end impacts.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
The tests, released Wednesday, show how well vehicles stack up against others of similar size and weight. The institute noted that the front-end test scores can’t be compared across weight classes, meaning a small car that earns a good rating isn’t considered safer than a large car that did not earn the highest rating.
Adrian Lund, the institute’s president, said a small car may be more practical in congested urban areas where serious, high-speed crashes are less likely. The institute conducted the crash test to help guide consumers who want a small car that can give them good protection.
“All things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better. But among the smallest cars, the engineers of the Smart did their homework and designed a high level of safety into a very small package,” Lund said.

:hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
:hand:

Exactly why I posted a photo ;)

A picture is worth a thousand words I heard somewhere once.

Acid Trip
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I wasn't endorsing it or arguing anything. I merely pointed out that it rated highly in crash tests. The gruesomeness of a pic doesn't tell the end result. The car is trashed but who cares, it's a car. It takes the brunt of the impact so the people inside survive.

Find the passenger report for that photo for it to mean anything.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I wasn't endorsing it or arguing anything. I merely pointed out that it rated highly in crash tests. The gruesomeness of a pic doesn't tell the end result. The car is trashed but who cares, it's a car. It takes the brunt of the impact so the people inside survive.

Find the passenger report for that photo for it to mean anything.

Yeah, against other riding lawnmowers....but up against a real car or anything bigger it doesn't stand a chance :lol:

Godfather
06-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Just bought my dad's 2005 Mazda 3 (GT (bigger engine) with premium package and leather and all that shit)... really am curious now how safe it is

We had a thread way back on AS where we posted the safety tests of our cars :-k Be interesting to do that again