PDA

View Full Version : Family of Calgary couple speechless after cowardly home invaders deliver 45-minute beating on elderly couple, sending both to hospital

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2015, 12:16 PM
By Michael Platt, Calgary Sun

There’s no honour among thieves — but plenty of cowardice.

There’s no more fitting way to describe two gutless men who left a 71-year-old woman in hospital needing reconstructive surgery to her face, after the villains beat her and her 74-year-old husband for 45 minutes during a home invasion last Friday.

The grandma’s relatives say she is virtually unrecognizable after the two seniors were tied up and repeatedly hit and punched in the face, as the thieves demanded to know where valuables were hidden inside their Thorncliffe home.

“I have never seen a woman beaten so badly,” said John, their son.

Asking that their last names be kept anonymous out of fear over the still-at-large thugs, the family and police investigators are almost certain this was a targeted crime, but by whom isn’t clear.

The bad guys knew the names of their victims and even mentioned the names of other family members, as they made threats and tried to intimidate the terrified seniors — telling them to talk about their hidden valuables, or else.

When that wasn’t enough, they physically assaulted the old couple, leaving the man with stitches and broken bones — but at least he’ll be home for Christmas.

His wife isn’t so lucky.

“It’s horrible — it went on for 45 minutes,” said Starr, another family member.

“They were demanding money and jewelry.”

Like many home invasions, this appears to be a case of the crooks targeting a specific home where they believed there was something valuable — though Starr says the grandparents were totally innocent, law-abiding people.

“They’re really decent, nice people, and they did this to her anyway,” said Starr.

“It’s sickening. When I heard what had happened to (the grandma) I could have thrown up.”

The two senior-bashing curs made sure their victims didn’t stand a chance, breaking into the Buckthorn Road N.W. home around 5 a.m. Friday morning, while the occupants were sound asleep in bed.

Dragging them out of bed and then tying the couple up, the cowardly bandits were determined to beat and torture the seniors until they had all the loot possible, using threats against young family members to try and frighten the old man and lady.

“To be tied up and go through that for 45 minutes — I can’t even imagine the fear they had to endure,” said Starr. “It’s so disgusting.”

Police describe the home invaders as white men, who were both wearing bandanas when the attack took place.

The older assailant was in his late 20s, and was around 6-foot-2 and skinny, with a blue-and-white bandana.

The younger man was in his early 20s, and was around 5-foot-10 and of medium build. Both fled from the home following the assault.

The only bright note as the family waits for grandma to go through surgery is the response on social media, where the two villains are being lambasted as the spineless cretins they are.

The story is being shared far and wide, and the two cowards who beat up innocent grandparents are being cursed across the city. And that, along with a plea from the family to help catch the thugs, will hopefully add up to a cold, concrete Christmas for the people responsible.

“My grandparents are two of the most important people in my life, they are also two of the most amazing people I’ve ever met, regardless of family ties,” wrote one of their adult grandchildren on Facebook.

“The fact that anyone could live with themselves after doing something like this, to an innocent, helpless, elderly couple, is sooo messed up!

“I have never been more disappointed in humanity. If anyone knows anything about the robbery, please call the police.”

Goofy
12-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Jesus :wha: Fuckin scum

Hal-9000
12-23-2015, 05:28 PM
They knew the names of the seniors and their relatives...that must be scary.

I'd help with the lynch mob for this, 14 months in jail doesn't really fit the crime.

fricnjay
12-23-2015, 05:58 PM
This would not happen to my family. Every family member on both my wife's side and mine are packing heat.