PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Crawlies On Christmas Menu In Wales

Goofy
12-26-2015, 09:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/O8ntvIG.png

As households across the UK tuck into traditional Christmas dinners, there's a very different type of grub on the menu in West Wales.

At Grub Kitchen in Pembrokeshire, they've been serving up a range of bug-based dishes including mealworm panna cotta, Wellington filled with crispy grubs and bug bhaji.

Head Chef Andy Holcroft explained: "We're offering people insects at every stage of the menu but also we have meat dishes.

"We're not trying to force people to eat bugs, we're also not saying to people to not eat meat.

"We're just saying to people to really think about their food and that is the main reason behind Grub Kitchen."

The bugs on the menu aren't from the garden but are bought in specially.

Next door at the Bug Farm research centre, customers can find out more about some of the insects they're eating with displays of live mealworms.

Co-owner, Dr Sarah Beynon believes with millions of people around the world already eating bugs on a daily basis, more of us could benefit from trying them.

"The amount of protein in that insect burger, depending on which insects are in there could actually be higher in protein than the same size beef burger.

"A beef burger would take about 3,290 litres of water to produce, the equivalent insect burger would take less than a pint."

It's unlikely grubs will be replacing turkey any time soon but certainly the customers we met seemed to be convinced, with one declaring: "I'm enjoying the bugs."

Hugh_Janus
12-27-2015, 11:29 AM
I'd try it :shrug: