PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby charged with felony sexual assault in Pennsylvania

Teh One Who Knocks
12-30-2015, 06:19 PM
By Daniel Kelley - Reuters

http://i.imgur.com/7IRHSVr.jpg

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (Reuters) - Bill Cosby, who cultivated a father-figure image over decades, was charged on Wednesday with sexually assaulting a woman at his home in 2004 in the first criminal case against the comedian accused of misconduct by dozens of women.

An arrest warrant was issued for the 78-year-old Cosby after the charges were filed in Pennsylvania just before the statute of limitations for a criminal prosecution was to expire in January. The charges stemmed from allegations brought by a woman who settled a civil case against Cosby in 2006.

"Today, after examination of all the evidence, we are able to seek justice on behalf of the victim," Kevin Steele, the newly elected district attorney for Montgomery County, told a news conference.

The accuser in the case, Andrea Constand, a former basketball team manager at Temple University in Philadelphia, Cosby's alma mater, is one of more than 50 women who have publicly accused Cosby of sexually assaulting them in incidents dating back decades.

Neither the entertainer nor his representatives could be reached immediately for comment. He and his lawyers, while acknowledging marital infidelity on Cosby's part, have consistently denied allegations of sexual misconduct.

Cosby, who personified the model American family man in his long-running hit television show, was charged with aggravated indecent assault, which is a second-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of five to ten years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

According to an affidavit accompanying the charges, the victim was a guest at Cosby's home in Cheltenham near Philadelphia one evening in January 2004, when he gave her wine and urged her to take three blue pills, prosecutors said in a statement.

"Shortly thereafter, the victim became incapacitated, and Cosby led her to a couch. The victim lay down ... and Cosby positioned himself behind her. Cosby then fondled the victim's breasts, put his hands inside her pants, and penetrated her vagina with his fingers," prosecutors said.

"The victim did not consent to any of these acts and reported that she was unable to move or speak and felt 'frozen' and 'paralyzed,'" prosecutors said.

Steele said the case was brought after new information came to light this year, adding that the victim was willing to cooperate.

"This is a very significant development," Gloria Allred, a lawyer who has represented 29 of the accusers, told CNN. Some of them have brought civil suits against Cosby.

The accusations have shocked Cosby's fans and crushed his reputation as an entertainer and father figure.

Many of them occurred decades ago and the statute of limitations for prosecuting them expired long ago.

A portion of a sworn deposition that Cosby gave in 2005-2006 in the civil suit brought by Constand was made public earlier this year. In it, Cosby acknowledged under questioning that he had obtained Quaaludes, a sedative that was a popular recreational drug in the 1970s, intending to give them to young women in order to have sex with them.

Through subsequent court filings and statements by his attorneys, Cosby stressed that the deposition excerpts contained no testimony that he engaged in any non-consensual sex or gave Quaaludes to anyone without their knowledge or consent.

In October, Cosby gave a separate deposition in a California lawsuit brought by another woman who has accused him of sexually abusing her when she was 15.

Earlier this month, Cosby sued seven of his accusers, saying the women who said they were assaulted were lying and had defamed his "honorable legacy and reputation."

The actor is best known for playing Dr. Cliff Huxtable, the family patriarch in the TV sitcom "The Cosby Show", which was one of the country's highest-rated television shows in the 1980s.

Goofy
12-30-2015, 07:32 PM
This guy aint in jail yet? USA really is the land of the free :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2015, 07:39 PM
He has to be proven guilty first.

fricnjay
12-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Personally I just dont buy it. I think he is being strategically attacked and discredited.

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2015, 09:17 PM
http://60.media.tumblr.com/330d42a5a053cc613ceece04ce354bb9/tumblr_nrj0yjaTFr1rsu1j1o1_500.jpg

fricnjay
12-30-2015, 09:24 PM
:fbd:

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Personally, I'm not passing judgment until the verdict comes in. But I think the memes surrounding the allegations are funny.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/868/441/6b2.jpg

fricnjay
12-30-2015, 09:41 PM
It just seems suspicious. He has been very outspoken about the problems in the black community and racism. Those opinions and statements where very unpopular. And then out of nowhere 50 women all say he sexually assaulted them. And also suspiciously everyone that came to his defense in the very beginning has totally disappeared. Just seems awfully fishy to me. :-k

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2015, 09:50 PM
He was accused of shit all the way back in the 60s.

Hugh_Janus
12-30-2015, 09:58 PM
zip dop zoobidy pop if you can't say no then I won't have to stop

fricnjay
12-30-2015, 10:22 PM
zip dop zoobidy pop if you can't say no then I won't have to stop

You need Jesus :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-30-2015, 10:25 PM
He has standup where he claims to do exactly what he's being charged with

Hugh_Janus
12-30-2015, 11:17 PM
You need Jesus :lol:

:dance:

deebakes
12-31-2015, 01:02 AM
:fricnbd:

:lol:

Hal-9000
12-31-2015, 06:39 PM
It just seems suspicious. He has been very outspoken about the problems in the black community and racism. Those opinions and statements where very unpopular. And then out of nowhere 50 women all say he sexually assaulted them. And also suspiciously everyone that came to his defense in the very beginning has totally disappeared. Just seems awfully fishy to me. :-k

It reminds me of the Michael Jackson scenario. He cooperates fully with the police, right down to dropping his pants and letting them look at his weener. He had the skin disease Vitiligo which causes spotted or multiple pigment colors on the skin. Part of the boy's lawsuit stated that MJ's dick was spotted. How would he know that without seeing it? His parents took a wild shot? MJ also paid out the complainant, which didn't help with his claim of innocence.

Point is, in both cases people came forward against huge megastars with super uncomfortable claims. Even the worst star-fucker lawyer knows that without some type of evidence behind the claims, they're going to get buried by the star's legal team.

:-k Makes me think that in both cases there is enough truth behind them to warrant everyday people coming forward and pressing charges against these superstars. In Bill's case the sheer number of people making the same claim could point to either jumping on the cash freight train, or that he had an M.O. with women and felt he was above the law.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-03-2016, 05:20 PM
The Associated Press

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) — The former district attorney who declined to arrest Bill Cosby on sex-crime charges a decade ago testified Tuesday that he essentially granted the comedian lifetime immunity from prosecution in the case.

Former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor took the stand in a bid by Cosby's lawyers to get the case against the TV star thrown out long before trial because of what they say is a non-prosecution agreement with Castor.

The current district attorney insists there is no record of any such promise. Castor admitted the only place the matter was put in writing was in the 2005 press release announcing his decision not to prosecute.

He acknowledged that he didn't draw up a formal immunity agreement filed with a judge because, he said, Cosby was afraid that would make him look bad. Also, Castor said, "It was unnecessary because I concluded there was no way the case would get any better." And he said Cosby's lawyers did not insist on such a document.

The proceedings will resume on Wednesday, when Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill said he hopes to rule on whether to throw out the case. Cosby, 78, was arrested and charged in December with drugging and violating former Temple University athletic department employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. He could get up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Castor said Tuesday that he believed Constand's story but that proving it would have been problematic because of serious flaws in the case, including what he called her inconsistencies and continued contact with Cosby. In deciding not to bring charges, he said, he meant to protect Cosby from prosecution "for all time."

And he suggested that Cosby and his then-lawyer understood it that way too, because Cosby later agreed to testify without invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in a lawsuit brought against him by Constand.

"Cosby would've had to have been nuts to say those things if there was any chance he could've been prosecuted," Castor said, referring to the damaging testimony unsealed last summer. Castor said he hoped — correctly, it turned out — his ruling would prod Cosby to testify in the lawsuit and help Constand win damages. She eventually settled for an undisclosed amount.

"I was hopeful that I had made Ms. Constand a millionaire," the former DA said. He said he and Cosby's then-attorney, Walter Phillips, did not have an actual agreement that Cosby would testify in exchange for not being prosecuted. Phillips has since died.

Kevin Steele, the newly elected DA who is pursuing the case, has said Cosby would need an immunity agreement in writing to get the case thrown out. He has said he has no evidence one exists. Prosecutors on Tuesday pressed Castor on numerous, seemingly inconsistent statements he made over the years on whether Cosby could still face charges. Castor sparred with prosecutors, parsing the language in his press release and in various emails sent to his successor.

He said he was referring in some passages to bringing charges against Cosby in connection with other women and other crimes — but not in connection with the Constand encounter in January 2004. While Castor was called as witness by Cosby's side, the former DA said he is rooting for the prosecution.

"I'm not on your team here," Castor told Cosby lawyer Brian McMonagle. "I want them to win." Cosby watched the back and forth between Castor and the lawyers from the defense table, swiveling his head slightly as if at a tennis match. He showed no reaction when the courtroom erupted periodically in laughter over a quip from the talkative Castor, though he frequently smiled as he made small talk with his lawyers.

In a barrage of allegations that have destroyed Cosby's image as America's Dad, dozens of women have accused the former TV star of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s. But this is the only case in which he has been charged.

The unsealing of the testimony from Constand's lawsuit prompted Castor's successors to reopen the case and ultimately charge Cosby. Cosby admitted in the deposition that he had affairs with young models and actresses, that he obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave Constand three pills at his home. He said he reached into her pants but insisted it was consensual.

Castor defended his decision not to bring charges, testifying that he saw Constand's year-long delay in reporting the allegations, inconsistencies in her statements and her contact with a lawyer before going to police as problematic.

Castor said Constand's delay thwarted his ability to test her hair or fingernails for evidence she was drugged. In related news, a Los Angeles judge ordered Cosby to attend another deposition in a lawsuit filed by a woman who says the comic forced her to perform a sex act on him at the Playboy Mansion around 1974, when she was 15.

Also Tuesday, model Chloe Goins dropped a lawsuit accusing Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting her at the Playboy Mansion in 2008. Goins gave no explanation.

RBP
02-03-2016, 06:22 PM
There are two justice systems in this country. One for the wealthy and one for the rest of us.

Goofy
02-03-2016, 07:53 PM
There are two justice systems in this country. One for the wealthy and one for the rest of us.

You can get away with murder if you have enough money :tup:

RBP
02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
You can get away with murder if you have enough money :tup:

Sometimes, yes.