PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Announce Executive Actions on Gun Control Tuesday

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2016, 11:33 AM
By Jim Avila - ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/Bn7qd9V.jpg

President Obama plans to announce executive actions he will take on gun control on Tuesday, a source told ABC News.

Obama had announced during his weekly address Friday that he planned to discuss gun control options with Attorney General Loretta Lynch after he returned from his Hawaiian vacation, which ended today.

"A few months ago, I directed my team at the White House to look into any new actions I can take to help reduce gun violence," he said in the address. "And on Monday, I’ll meet with our Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, to discuss our options."

The White House had previously announced the Justice Department was examining unilateral action the president could take on gun control, and would be making recommendation.

The president says in the address his New Year's resolution is to move forward on unfinished business, including "our epidemic of gun violence."

"Last month, we remembered the third anniversary of Newtown. This Friday, I’ll be thinking about my friend Gabby Giffords, five years into her recovery from the shooting in Tucson," he added. "And all across America, survivors of gun violence and those who lost a child, a parent, a spouse to gun violence are forced to mark such awful anniversaries every single day."

He asks for those who "care about this" to help him stand up to the gun lobby.

"The gun lobby is loud and well organized in its defense of effortlessly available guns for anyone," he said. "The rest of us are going to have to be just as passionate and well organized in our defense of our kids."

Griffin
01-04-2016, 11:50 AM
I should have bought more ammo.

RBP
01-04-2016, 12:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IhXnDAI.jpg

DemonGeminiX
01-04-2016, 03:15 PM
:-k

I have the "join NRA" website open in another browser. Should I join, or shouldn't I?

redred
01-04-2016, 03:18 PM
will they send you spam mail ?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2016, 03:19 PM
:-k

I have the "join NRA" website open in another browser. Should I join, or shouldn't I?

I'm a lifetime member as well as a member of the Rocky Mountain Gun Owner's

DemonGeminiX
01-04-2016, 03:26 PM
will they send you spam mail ?

Probably no more or less than any other venture that wants money.

I'm a lifetime member as well as a member of the Rocky Mountain Gun Owner's

Yeah, I know. We've talked about it in the past. I think I asked you before if you could get a discount for new members.

I was also thinking about going over to the gun store and picking up an S&W M&P15, but I really don't feel like spending $1k+ on a rifle right now.

redred
01-04-2016, 03:45 PM
don't waste your money you'll have to hand them in next week :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-04-2016, 03:47 PM
"I'm sorry, sir, I lost that gun in a freak accident while boating with friends out on the sound."

redred
01-04-2016, 03:50 PM
liar :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-04-2016, 03:54 PM
That's a benefit of living near the coast or a big river. You can claim you lost something of interest in the body of water, and if it's not that big of a deal, they won't bother looking for it.

redred
01-04-2016, 03:57 PM
this story was local to me last year :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2966075/Teenage-metal-detector-trawling-river-stumbles-hidden-cache-40-IRA-weapons-including-Widow-Maker-rifle-Nazi-machine-gun.html

what you said reminded me

Griffin
01-05-2016, 03:22 AM
I was also thinking about going over to the gun store and picking up an S&W M&P15, but I really don't feel like spending $1k+ on a rifle right now.

I just took the opportunity to throw together another rifle from extra parts I had lying around. 8-)

RBP
01-05-2016, 03:41 AM
I don't have an issue with requiring background checks for all commercial gun sales. Plus it comes with $500MM in mental health services funding.

What am I missing on this one?

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 03:42 AM
I just took the opportunity to throw together another rifle from extra parts I had lying around. 8-)

I have no idea what I would need to accomplish that sort of thing.

Muddy
01-05-2016, 03:52 AM
I don't have an issue with requiring background checks for all commercial gun sales. Plus it comes with $500MM in mental health services funding.

It doesnt bug me either.. Some say that any compromise is a foot in the door..

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 03:54 AM

Moving on an issue without Congress?

Griffin
01-05-2016, 03:57 AM

You really think that's all he plans? That's already been required for decades.

RBP
01-05-2016, 04:04 AM
You really think that's all he plans? That's already been required for decades.

Not really.. the gun show, private, and some internet sales do not require background checks. I am trying not to oppose everything if some pieces make sense.

Griffin
01-05-2016, 04:11 AM
Of those 3 examples, private sales between 2 individuals is the only one that doesn't require a back grond check.

RBP
01-05-2016, 04:28 AM
Well then I am confused. Are you saying the gun show background check issue is completely fabricated?

RBP
01-05-2016, 04:33 AM
Of those 3 examples, private sales between 2 individuals is the only one that doesn't require a back grond check.

Okay, so let's clarify. By private individual, you mean "unregistered gun seller, selling as a private citizen". Then that's bullshit. I shouldn't be able to sell a gun to someone privately from a table at a trade show. Why would you support that not requiring a background check?

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 04:49 AM
http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/facts-about-gun-shows

It is a bit dated, but nothing has changed since 2000.

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 04:55 AM
I just realized that that article is 16 years old, meaning politicians have been bickering over the same damn issue for at least 16 years.

RBP
01-05-2016, 05:00 AM
If you sell a gun it needs to be to someone who could otherwise buy one. I am not sure why that's controversial.

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 05:15 AM
If you sell a gun it needs to be to someone who could otherwise buy one. I am not sure why that's controversial.

They've been bickering about this shit since 1993, when I graduated high school. That's when the Brady Bill was passed, which created the requirement of federal background checks for gun sales by FFL dealers. The fact of the matter is, The Brady Bill created the "Gun Show Loophole". But it's not really a loophole at gun shows. It's an intentionally left out regulation that doesn't regulate private sales between two parties, neither of whom are licensed dealers.

I think the major argument back in the day was if they started regulating private transfers, then guns couldn't be handed down to family members of a deceased gun owner, or a gun couldn't be given as a gift, or sold by one neighbor to another. I think, originally, the argument was that the oversight of private transfers was way too invasive and ridiculous, particularly when it came to transfers between family members. Granted, the "loophole" (that really isn't a "loophole" per se), could be and most likely is exploited by criminal types. But what can you do?

RBP
01-05-2016, 05:23 AM
They've been bickering about this shit since 1993, when I graduated high school. That's when the Brady Bill was passed, which created the requirement of federal background checks for gun sales by FFL dealers. The fact of the matter is, The Brady Bill created the "Gun Show Loophole". But it's not really a loophole at gun shows. It's an intentionally left out regulation that doesn't regulate private sales between two parties, neither of whom are licensed dealers.

I think the major argument back in the day was if they started regulating private transfers, then guns couldn't be handed down to family members of a deceased gun owner, or a gun couldn't be given as a gift, or sold by one neighbor to another. I think, originally, the argument was that the oversight of private transfers was way too invasive and ridiculous, particularly when it came to transfers between family members. Granted, the "loophole" (that really isn't a "loophole" per se), could be and most likely is exploited by criminal types. But what can you do?

What can you do? I'll tell you want you can't do - set up table full of guns at a show and sell them to whoever will pay. Again, I am not sure why that part is an issue. want a family exemption? I suppose. But c'mon, what are we saying? It is not at all unreasonable to say that if someone if being provided or sold a gun they should be able to meet the same legal requirements as buying one at a store.

Griffin
01-05-2016, 09:26 AM
What can you do? I'll tell you want you can't do - set up table full of guns at a show and sell them to whoever will pay.

Exactly! Any gun show I've been to, the sellers of firearms are licensed and must do background checks.
And yes I am saying the gun show background check issue is completely fabricated. By private I meant just that, two individuals getting together outside of a business.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2016, 11:17 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

President Obama on Tuesday will formally announce plans to expand background checks and make other changes to America's gun laws via executive action‎, going around Congress and fueling allegations of executive overreach.

The Justice Department's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will also issue updated guidance that says the government can consider someone a gun dealer regardless of where the guns are sold.

Obama's actions, announced by the White House Monday, mark a renewed bid by the president to enact gun control measures with or without Congress.

Republicans accused the president of going too far, and already have threatened to fight the new measures by withholding DOJ funding. The guidance, though, aims to achieve a long-time administration goal of narrowing the gun show loophole.

In an attempt to prevent gun purchases from falling through the cracks, the FBI will hire 230 more examiners to process background checks, the White House said.

The FBI has a computerized system that can process background checks for many in seconds, but in instances where the FBI needs more time, the government only has three days before prospective buyers can return and buy the gun without being cleared.

Earlier Monday, Obama vowed to press ahead with new executive actions on gun control after meeting with top law enforcement officials, claiming he has the “legal authority” to act – and defying congressional critics who say he’s pursuing a “dangerous” overreach.

The president spoke after meeting with Attorney General Loretta Lynch, FBI Director James Comey and other top officials to review their proposals and finalize his plans.

Obama said their recommendations are “well within my legal authority” and would be supported by “the overwhelming majority of the American people, including gun owners.”

“The recommendations that are being made by my team here are ones that are entirely consistent with the Second Amendment,” Obama said, claiming they could “potentially save lives.”

The revived push to tighten America’s gun laws via executive action, however, has resulted in a backlash on Capitol Hill and the campaign trail.

Republicans made clear they would fight the administration and accused the president of overstepping.

"While we don’t yet know the details of the plan, the president is at minimum subverting the legislative branch, and potentially overturning its will,” House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said in a statement. “This is a dangerous level of executive overreach, and the country will not stand for it.”

Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, who chairs a key appropriations panel, warned Lynch on Monday that he would “use every tool at my disposal to immediately restrict” DOJ funding if the department proceeds with “new restrictions on our Constitutional rights.”

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump vowed to reverse any such actions if he’s elected.

"We're not changing the Second Amendment," Trump said Saturday at a campaign rally in Biloxi, Miss. "I will veto that. I will un-sign that so fast."

While Obama took heat from Republicans, supporters of stronger action on gun control applauded the president’s new push.

"We definitely think there are things he can do," said Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which advocates for expanding background checks. Gross says his recent conversations with White House aides have left him hopeful.

"It's very clear that the White House is feeling emboldened," he said.

Obama announced the meeting with Lynch in his weekly address from his Hawaii holiday vacation. On Thursday, he'll take his argument to prime time, participating in a town hall discussion of gun violence on CNN. He's slated to make his case for changes in his State of the Union address on Jan. 12.

The high-profile rollout reflects a White House continuing to look for ways to wrap up unfinished business despite an uncooperative Congress.

After all but ignoring the issue in his first term, Obama changed course after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in December 2012. Nevertheless, the president failed to push a package of gun measures through Congress, including one expanding background checks.

At the same time, Obama took nearly two dozen executive actions to tighten gun laws, but left a major expansion of background checks out of the mix.

But after the shooting at a community college in Roseburg, Ore. in October, Obama ordered his staff to redouble the effort to look for ways to work around Congress.

Under current law, federally licensed firearms dealers are required to seek background checks on potential firearm purchasers. But advocacy groups say many sellers are currently exempt from having to register, increasing the chance of sales to customers prohibited by law from purchasing a gun.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2016, 11:19 AM
What can you do? I'll tell you want you can't do - set up table full of guns at a show and sell them to whoever will pay. Again, I am not sure why that part is an issue. want a family exemption? I suppose. But c'mon, what are we saying? It is not at all unreasonable to say that if someone if being provided or sold a gun they should be able to meet the same legal requirements as buying one at a store.

In all honesty, and I'm not trying to be facetious, do you really think that career criminals and gang bangers are going to gun shows and searching the classifieds to buy guns at a private sale?

RBP
01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
In all honesty, and I'm not trying to be facetious, do you really think that career criminals and gang bangers are going to gun shows and searching the classifieds to buy guns at a private sale?

He's supposedly responding to mass shootings, but I have yet to see any proposal that would have prevented the event that precipitated it. As far as criminals and gangs, I agree with you. My only hesitation is that I do not know where gang and criminal guns come from. It is possible that unregistered sellers are making sales that end up in the trunk of a gun runner who delivers them to people who couldn't buy guns legally? Absolutely. I don't think that's what Obama is talking about, but it's part of the equation. And basic logic would say that if I want a gun and I am not able to buy one legally, I will naturally gravitate to sellers who don't ask questions.

But again, what's the harm in a background requirement for all sales? I am not seeing the downside to saying everyone who buys a gun from any source must be legally eligible to buy a gun. How is that infringing on the 2nd amendment?

redred
01-05-2016, 12:08 PM
the problem you have if all this stuff goes ahead is proving that it worked , if no mass school shooting happen in the next year did that stop those people trying and was obama right or were there no one around that wanted to carry out a mass shooting and just went back to hating the world by themselfs

Pony
01-05-2016, 12:50 PM
the problem you have if all this stuff goes ahead is proving that it worked , if no mass school shooting happen in the next year did that stop those people trying and was obama right or were there no one around that wanted to carry out a mass shooting and just went back to hating the world by themselfs

More than likely there would still be just as many shootings and that would be the govt excuse to go even further with more strict regulations and then bans.

Goofy
01-05-2016, 01:00 PM
http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/facts-about-gun-shows

It is a bit dated, but nothing has changed since 2000.

Like the amendments? :-k

:outtahere:

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Like the amendments? :-k

:outtahere:

:overkill:

fricnjay
01-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Not really.. the gun show, private, and some internet sales do not require background checks. I am trying not to oppose everything if some pieces make sense.

Well then I am confused. Are you saying the gun show background check issue is completely fabricated?

Okay, so let's clarify. By private individual, you mean "unregistered gun seller, selling as a private citizen". Then that's bullshit. I shouldn't be able to sell a gun to someone privately from a table at a trade show. Why would you support that not requiring a background check?

Exactly! Any gun show I've been to, the sellers of firearms are licensed and must do background checks.
And yes I am saying the gun show background check issue is completely fabricated. By private I meant just that, two individuals getting together outside of a business.

Griffin is right. If you go to a gun show and buy any gun from a booth you will HAVE to fill out the proper paper work. Just to become a vendor at a show you have to show all your licenses to purchase your spot at the show. However the last show I went to I bought a 9mm handgun not from a vendor but from an individual walking around the show. Its called a "straw" purchase and that's what he is trying to put a stop too. but to my knowledge no gun ever bought from a straw purchase has been used in any mass shooting. Basically it would keep me from even selling a gun to a family member. Its not right, we should be able to buy and sell goods privately without having to register the sell with the FED. Its massive government over reach in my opinion.

Hell no, they are buying them from small time arms dealers.

RBP
01-05-2016, 04:18 PM
San Bernardino was a straw purchase.

fricnjay
01-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Not exactly, He had someone else buy the guns for him from what I understand. Which is a bit different.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-05-2016, 04:37 PM

The fact that its an executive action, again bypassing our checks and balances

Muddy
01-05-2016, 04:39 PM
The fact that its an executive action, again bypassing our checks and balances

I guess this really is the most pertinent point. Another ruling from the King.

fricnjay
01-05-2016, 05:05 PM
The real question is how "legal" is an executive order...

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2016, 05:53 PM
The real question is how "legal" is an executive order...

When the Supreme Court is your bitch, and Congress is full of pussies, very legal.

Godfather
01-06-2016, 02:35 AM

I agree. I've mentioned Canadian gun laws a few times. To own a handgun you need to take a two day course on laws and safety, then pass a test, then fill out some forms and pass a background check where they call references (they called 3 of mine), check your criminal history, interview you by phone, etc. I think it took around 3-months. It didn't feel too excessive to me, considering we're talking about guns here. It was less work as getting a full Driver's License.The process does repel people who aren't serious about taking guns and safety seriously too, which is a perk. I see this as a system that might work in the US.

I had no issues getting licensed, nor should I have... but I do have an acquaintance who had an unstable period, threatened an ex-girlfriend and suicide, etc. Because of the registration, he temporarily lost his 'Possession and Acquisition License.' It might have saved a life. Thankfully he's in counseling and doing better.

No, they operate outside the law. Doesn't mean we should have laws to restrict and limit sales of guns to other types of potential wrong-doers though does it? Just as an example, by FAR the biggest cause of gun deaths is suicide, not mass shootings or gang-bangers. Most of those are men (who die from attempted suicide at far higher rates than women because they typically use more 'immediate' methods like guns). Maybe some laws and policies protecting these people would be helpful.

redred
01-06-2016, 08:17 AM
is it possible to get a gun well taking drugs to control ADHD ect ?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2016, 11:25 AM
No, they operate outside the law. Doesn't mean we should have laws to restrict and limit sales of guns to other types of potential wrong-doers though does it? Just as an example, by FAR the biggest cause of gun deaths is suicide, not mass shootings or gang-bangers. Most of those are men (who die from attempted suicide at far higher rates than women because they typically use more 'immediate' methods like guns). Maybe some laws and policies protecting these people would be helpful.

So are we going to stop selling cars to people that have a history of DUI arrests? Or maybe expand it to people that like to overindulge when it comes to alcohol because there's a chance they could drink and drive and maybe kill someone?

is it possible to get a gun well taking drugs to control ADHD ect ?

You can purchase a firearm if you are on medications like Prozac or Ritalin, the only time your mental history comes into question is if you have been committed for a psychiatric/psychotic situation (AFAIK). Being committed for mental issues and being convicted of a felony both strip you of your right to own a weapon and those are two things that are supposed to show up when the background check is run.

redred
01-06-2016, 11:41 AM
:tup: thanks for the reply

Muddy
01-06-2016, 02:09 PM
You can purchase a firearm if you are on medications like Prozac or Ritalin, the only time your mental history comes into question is if you have been committed for a psychiatric/psychotic situation (AFAIK). Being committed for mental issues and being convicted of a felony both strip you of your right to own a weapon and those are two things that are supposed to show up when the background check is run.

My dad has been in and out of mental institutions for straight up checking out at times... He was always showing me his gun of the week he bought... I always thought to myself, who the fuck approved his application?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2016, 02:11 PM
My dad has been in and out of mental institutions for straight up checking out at times... He was always showing me his gun of the week he bought... I always thought to myself, who the fuck approved his application?

But was he committed or did he go himself or with a family member? To lose your right to own a firearm, you have to be committed by a doctor.

Muddy
01-06-2016, 02:43 PM
But was he committed or did he go himself or with a family member? To lose your right to own a firearm, you have to be committed by a doctor.

I'm not sure.. But when he flips.. It's really really scary.. Its like talking to a different person.. A crazy person. He has been in literally 4-5 times. There has to be some record..?

redred
01-06-2016, 04:04 PM
so based on that muddy do you think some of what obama has said would be a good thing to bring in ?

Fodster
01-06-2016, 04:06 PM
I saw the tears, I cried too!

redred
01-06-2016, 04:07 PM
:lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I saw the tears, I cried too!

Funny, people have been dying in Chicago every day since he's taken up politics. You'd think Kleenex stock would be soaring.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-06-2016, 04:56 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12400966_1098398213533577_6543932052210609018_n.jp g?oh=e5a376f77d59f0a4ad471386a043ac60&oe=5703A9B9

RBP
01-07-2016, 01:04 AM

Obama just changed that.

Muddy
01-07-2016, 01:40 AM
so based on that muddy do you think some of what obama has said would be a good thing to bring in ?

In my dads case, yes.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-07-2016, 02:40 AM
The fact that he is going at it alone is the BIGGEST problem. It has nothing to do with if its the right thing to do. If it is, then it would have no problem moving through the proper channels