PDA

View Full Version : Uber Charges Drunk New Year's Eve Customer $1,114.71 For Getting Home Responsibly

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Justin Westbrook - Jalopnik

http://i.imgur.com/URXnnPH.jpg

Matt Lindsay became another victim of Uber surge pricing on New Year’s Eve after getting his inebriated self and his drunk friends home safely, only to receive an email 20 minutes later confirming an Uber charge for a whopping $1,114.71 Canadian.

It is as-of-yet unreported how quickly Matt sobered up, but I’d wager it was about the same time he got the email.

CBC News reports that the Edmonton, Alberta Uber driver picked up Lindsay and his party after a night of New Years celebrations. The driver reminded the group of the New Years holiday surge pricing at a rate of 8.9 times the standard fare, which Lindsay drunkenly obliged to — claiming he expected it to only be a little more than what he usually pays and accepting that he failed to calculate the trip beforehand. It wasn’t until, after all of his friends’ stops, he got home and received the confirmation for payment of over $1,000.00 that Lindsay realized his mistake.

Lindsay is claiming he was wronged for not being notified during the trip of the spiking price, claiming he would have preferred to stop sooner to avoid the ridiculous amount. He is claiming he was vulnerable due to his drunkenness and taken advantage of, and now wants Uber to institute a surge pricing cap to ensure no one else makes a similar mistake.

Quoted by CBC, Matt claims:

“I made a mistake,” he said. “The issue is there was a mistake on the other end as well and Uber needs to own up to that and correct that mistake.”

In Uber’s defense, a New Years Eve guide was sent out to Uber app users ten days prior, and an Uber spokesperson told CBC that the app requires customers to acknowledge and confirm increased fares.

Lindsay confirmed that Uber offered to reduce his charge by half, but there is no comment on whether or not he accepted it.

It’s easy to see how surge pricing charges can get out of hand on a night like New Years (or anytime everyone is drunk), but customers still should hold some level of responsibility. On the other end, ridiculous fares are only going to continue to be a problem for Uber’s customer satisfaction, and a surge-pricing cap, capacity cap, or distance cap could help prevent from preposterous charges moving forward.

And hey, Matt — I hope you asked all your buddies to chip in. Don’t let them get away with that, either.

RBP
01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
That was a normal $125 fare. That's a long ass ride to begin with.

Goofy
01-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Damn you RBP :shakefist:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-05-2016, 04:57 PM
They tell you the cost of the ride before you take it

Hikari Kisugi
01-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Matt Lindsay

CBC News reports that the Edmonton, Alberta Uber driver picked up Lindsay and his party after a night of New Years celebrations. The driver reminded the group of the New Years holiday surge pricing at a rate of 8.9 times the standard fare, which Lindsay drunkenly obliged to — claiming he expected it to only be a little more than what he usually pays

Fucking idiot.
'It is 9 times what you usually pay sir.'
'...ermm ok, that just a little bit more than I usually pay'
Fucking idiot.

RBP
01-05-2016, 07:49 PM
They tell you the cost of the ride before you take it
Only on Uber Pool not UberX. At least in Chicago. You know the calculation and surge rate.

Muddy
01-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Uber is gonna shoot themselves in the foot doing shit like this.

Hugh_Janus
01-05-2016, 09:04 PM
how much would it take you to work on nye?

RBP
01-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Uber is gonna shoot themselves in the foot doing shit like this.

I got fares at 6 and 7 times surge rates on NYE. Nobody seems to care at that point.

DemonGeminiX
01-06-2016, 12:50 AM
I got fares at 6 and 7 times surge rates on NYE. Nobody seems to care at that point.

Maybe not right now but give it time. It'll wear thin.

Muddy
01-06-2016, 02:03 AM

$1100 bucks though?

RBP
01-06-2016, 02:48 AM
$1100 bucks though?

I get that, but $125 fare is massive to begin with. And he agreed. So he can do math. The comparison is what a comparable cab ride would have been, not whether the number itself is outrageous.

HyperV12
01-06-2016, 08:28 AM
I get that, but $125 fare is massive to begin with. And he agreed. So he can do math. The comparison is what a comparable cab ride would have been, not whether the number itself is outrageous.

This is a good point and conveniently omitted from the article, $1100 does seem excessive however. I doubt he would've agreed sober but then he could have driven himself if he had been. The police here have stepped in on a few excessive fares being charged by rickshaw taxis in London ($500 for a 5min journey for example) and stopped them but only if they were on the scene at the time.

HyperV12
01-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Feckin double post!

Muddy
01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
$1100 bucks is still waaaay better than a DUI though!! :lol:

redred
01-06-2016, 04:06 PM
shitty motel for the night would of been cheaper plus he might of got change for a hooker :lol: