PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Knifeman wearing 'explosives' shot dead in Paris on anniversary of Hebdo attack

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2016, 01:33 PM
By Leda Reynolds - The Express

http://i.imgur.com/4OTRbph.jpg

A KNIFEMAN wearing a suspected explosive vest has been shot dead in Paris after storming into a police station and shouting "Allahu Akbar" or God is Great.

The body of the man was examined by a robot as explosive experts scrambled to the police station in Rue de la Goutte d’Or, the 18th district of the city as the man had wires protruding from his clothes.

However, police said after examining the man, the explosive vest was found to be fake.

A Paris police official said officers were investigating the incident as "more likely terrorism" than a standard criminal act.

The drama unfolded as French President Francois Hollande addressed police nearby, saying terrorism is an ongoing threat to his country which was first targeted by Islamic extremists 12 months ago.

Mr Hollande was at a ceremony to mark a year to the day when two masked gunmen stormed the offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, leaving 11 people dead inside the building and executing a policeman patrolling outside.

The president said that although the government was passing new anti-terror laws and ramping up security, the terrorism threat remained high and was weighing the country down.

Three police officers were among the 17 dead in the attacks last January, which saw brothers Said and Cherid Kouachi target the Charlie Hebdo office and associate Amedy Coulibaly take hostages at a kosher supermarket nearby.

All three terrorists, who had been in prison together, were killed by police marksmen.

The Kouachi brothers were shot dead at a print works 19 miles northeast of Paris after they fled there, and Coulibaly at the supermarket where he had murdered four people.

Mr Hollande called for better surveillance of "radicalised" citizens who have joined Islamic State or other militant groups in Syria and Iraq before returning to France.

He said: "We must be able to force these people - and only these people - to fulfill certain obligations and if necessary to put them under house arrest because they are dangerous."

"I would like to salute the police officers and the military, who every single day and every single night, patrol our streets and supervise public buildings and places of worship, schools, stations and airports.

“They carry out remarkable work and they are very indispensable.

"But the seriousness of the situation means that now we have to make sure our commitment is at an even higher level and despite budgetary constraints I talked about giving 5,000 extra jobs between now and 2017."

Islamic State (ISIS) extremists struck on November 13 in Paris leaving 130 people dead and around 300 more injured after launching a series of suicide and gun attacks at the Bataclan nightclub, Stade de France and bars and restaurants.

Mr Hollande added: “Today I would like to express our appreciation, the nation's appreciation, to those in January and November who took risks to deal with enemies determined to kill using all means."

Survivors of the January Charlie Hebdo attacks are continuing to speak out about its impact.

Cartoonist Laurent Sourisseau, the editor-in-chief of Charlie Hebdo, who is known as Riss, told France Inter radio "security is a new expense for the newspaper's budget".

He said: "This past year we've had to invest nearly €2 million to secure our office, which is an enormous sum.

"We have to spend hundreds of thousands on surveillance of our offices, which wasn't previously in Charlie's budget, but we had an obligation so that employees feel safe and can work safely."

After the attacks, people around the world embraced the expression "Je suis Charlie" to express solidarity with the slain journalists, targeted for the paper's caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Corinne Rey - known as Coco - said: "It's a phrase that was used during the march as a sign of emotion or resistance to terrorism.

"And little by little, I realised that 'I am Charlie' was misused for so many things - now I don't really know what it means."

Goofy
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
:pewpew:

HyperV12
01-07-2016, 04:20 PM
One less nutter. Buh-bye.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-07-2016, 04:45 PM
:tup:

Fodster
01-08-2016, 01:06 PM
maybe he did it just as a joke

Anyone seen them 'pranks' of the fake bomb bag that people drop next to people and run off?