PDA

View Full Version : Photo Of Eight-Year-Old Boy Learning How To Put On Makeup Goes Viral

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2016, 02:37 PM
By Sheena Vasani - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/YZPMotV.jpg

Photos of a Florida eight-year-old boy learning how to put “drag” makeup posted Jan. 3 went viral.

Ethan Wilwert aspires to become a professional makeup artist, and begged his mother – Season - for a tutorial at MAC, the Huffington Post reports.

"Society needs to steer away from what is typically known as the gender roles and stereotypes and accept the fact that it's OK for a boy to wear makeup to express himself as an artist," his mother said.

"This does not define his gender identity nor his sexual preference. He's just exploring and being a kid! Being judgmental and close-minded on such issues not only is hurtful to our children, but it also inhibits their freedom of self-expression and prevents the opportunity for them to embrace their true identities."

Many praised the mother for her bold stance on Facebook, while Megan Smith joked, “If that was my son I'd be very upset. How can an eight-year-old be better at doing his makeup than me?”

Artist Joey Killmeyer gave the boy a makeover, allowing him to finish it by himself so he could practice.

Afterwards, Killmeyer posted a photo that received more than 140,000 likes as of Jan. 7.

“I really respect the mom who is letting him be himself and discover who he is and what he wants to do in life,” Killmeyer writes.

He encourages everybody to share the photo to “spread the message of acceptance.”

Killmeyer also describes Wilwert as “a very talented guy” and adds “I see a bright future for him.”

Other professionals are equally impressed with the boy’s work.

“As a make up artist that boy's going to set this world on fire. So talented,” proclaims Skylar Knight on Facebook.

Later, Killmeyer finished a separate post jokingly adding, “Also yes I did use a filter on the picture. I am 43 and had to try to look as good as Ethan.”

Killmeyer sees both the boy’s decision and the mother’s support as a greater sign of societal progress.

“It shows me the world is changing from when I was his age and that there is hope for kids who are different,” he said.

fricnjay
01-08-2016, 02:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ypd3s6k.jpg