PDA

View Full Version : Jada Pinkett Smith debates boycotting the Oscars over only white actors being nominated

Teh One Who Knocks
01-18-2016, 11:38 AM
FOX 411

http://i.imgur.com/ZeztzGo.jpg

For the second year in a row, the Academy has only nominated white actors and Jada Pinkett Smith is irked.

The 44-year-old actress aired her feelings on Facebook, even mulling a boycott of the award show.

"At the Oscars, people of color are always welcomed to give out awards, even entertain, but we are rarely recognized for our artistic accomplishments," Pinkett Smith wrote on Facebook and Twitter. "Should people of color refrain from participating all together?"

"People can only treat us in the way in which we allow," the "Magic Mike XXL" star added. "With much respect in the midst of deep disappointment, J."

“She thinks that if people do not speak out things will never change,” reports Rob Shuter of naughtygossip.com. “Most of the folks that vote are old white men. This has to change. She doesn’t care if speaking out hurts her career, she cannot sit silent anymore."

When the nominations were announced snubbing Will Smith (“Concussion”), Idris Elba “Beasts of No Nation”), and Samuel L. Jackson (“The Hateful Eight”), there was an immediate backlash on Twitter.

Objectors used the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite to highlight the fact that the only nomination for the critically acclaimed “Straight Outta Compton” when to the two white screenwriters, while “Creed,” a movie starring a black man and directed by a black man, only recognized Sylvester Stallone’s performance.

http://i.imgur.com/0N9YlF5.png

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2016, 12:35 PM
If your performances were worth a damn, you would have been nominated.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-18-2016, 12:38 PM
If your performances were worth a damn, you would have been nominated.

:racist:

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Ok. :lol:

Goofy
01-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Awww, what a shame, poor Jada :(

fricnjay
01-18-2016, 02:20 PM
STFU Women!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees

Muddy
01-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Do it!! Dont ever come back!

RBP
01-18-2016, 09:16 PM
STFU Women!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees

You expect facts to alter arguments about racial politics? :lol: Do we even live in the same country?

Pony
01-18-2016, 09:21 PM
here's a short list...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hispanic-American_%28U.S.%29_Academy_Award_winners_and_nomi nees

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2016, 11:25 AM
FOX 411 and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/FkNcbws.jpg

As calls for a boycott of this year's Academy Awards over the all-white list of acting nominees intensifies, the academy's president issued a statement late Monday promising a more intense drive to diversify the largely white, male voting body.

Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences President Cheryl Boone Isaacs's statement came after director Spike Lee and actress Jada Pinkett Smith each announced that they would not be attending the Feb. 28 ceremony.

In a lengthy Instagram post, Lee said he "cannot support" the "lily white" Oscars. Noting that he was writing on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Lee -- who in November was given an honorary Oscar at the Governors Awards -- said he was fed up: "Forty white actors in two years and no flava at all," he wrote. "We can't act?!"

Lee made a point of writing in his post that the Academy Awards is only part of the problem in an industry with deep-rooted diversity issues. In his Governors Awards speech, Lee said "It's easier to be the president of the United States as a black person than be the head of a studio."

"The Academy Awards is not where the `real' battle is," wrote Lee on Monday. "It's in the executive office of the Hollywood studios and TV and cable networks. This is where the gate keepers decide what gets made and what gets jettisoned to `turnaround' or scrap heap. This is what's important. The gate keepers. Those with `the green light' vote."

In a video message on Facebook, Pinkett Smith, whose husband Will Smith wasn't nominated for his performance in the NFL head trauma drama "Concussion," said it was time for people of color to disregard the Academy Awards.

"Begging for acknowledgement, or even asking, diminishes dignity and diminishes power," she said. "And we are a dignified people and we are powerful."

She added: "Let's let the academy do them, with all grace and love. And let's do us differently." The video had amassed 4.5 million by mid-Monday afternoon.

Last year's all-white acting nominees also drew calls for a boycott, though not from such prominent individuals as Lee and Pinkett Smith. Whether it had any impact or not, the audience for the broadcast, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, was down 16 percent from the year prior, a six-year low.

Isaacs has made a point of presenting a more inclusive show this year. The Feb. 28 broadcast will be hosted by Chris Rock and produced by "Django Unchained" producer Reginald Hudlin and David Hill.

"Begging for acknowledgement, or even asking, diminishes dignity and diminishes power," she said. "And we are a dignified people and we are powerful."

She added: "Let's let the academy do them, with all grace and love. And let's do us differently." The video had amassed 4.5 million by mid-Monday afternoon.

Last year's all-white acting nominees also drew calls for a boycott, though not from such prominent individuals as Lee and Pinkett Smith. Whether it had any impact or not, the audience for the broadcast, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, was down 16 percent from the year prior, a six-year low.

Isaacs has made a point of presenting a more inclusive show this year. The Feb. 28 broadcast will be hosted by Chris Rock and produced by "Django Unchained" producer Reginald Hudlin and David Hill.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Oscars?src=hash">#Oscars</a>. The White BET Awards. <a href="https://t.co/8qjLR0uysI">https://t.co/8qjLR0uysI</a></p>&mdash; Chris Rock (@chrisrock) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrisrock/status/688134422604849152">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
The website NaughtyGossip reported Monday that Rock had come under pressure to pull out of hosting the show, but had not agreed to do so.

When Oscar nominations were announced Thursday, Isaacs acknowledged she was "disappointed" that all 20 acting nominees were again white and promised to "continue the conversation" on diversity. Isaacs has worked to diversify membership for the academy, which a 2012 study by the Los Angeles Times found is overwhelming white and male.

But on Monday, Isaacs was more explicit and promised an examination of the academy and a more intense drive to diversify.

"This is a difficult but important conversation, and it's time for big changes," she said in a statement released Monday night. "The Academy is taking dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership. In the coming days and weeks we will conduct a review of our membership recruitment in order to bring about much-needed diversity in our 2016 class and beyond."

Many awards handicappers expected nominations for Idris Elba of "Beasts of No Nation" and Benicio Del Toro for "Sicario." The N.W.A. biopic "Straight Outta Compton" also failed to earn a best picture nomination, despite some predictions it would. Ryan Coogler's acclaimed Rocky sequel "Creed" scored only a nomination only for Sylvester Stallone. (Lee's own movie, the Chicago gang violence hip-hop musical "Chi-Raq" -- celebrated by some and scorned by others -- also went unnoticed.)

The hashtag "OscarsSoWhite," created last year, was quickly resurrected online following the nominations. Rev. Al Sharpton -- who last year met with former Sony head Amy Pascal following leaked emails that some viewed as racist -- on Friday lambasted the academy.

"Hollywood is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher up you get the whiter it gets and this year's Academy Awards will be yet another Rocky Mountain Oscar," said Sharpton.

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Being nominated for an award doesn't fall under equal opportunity provisions. You actually have to earn it. Apparently, this year, y'all haven't. Score some better roles that better showcase your acting abilities or go take some acting classes, improve your acting abilities, score some roles and better luck next year. Now shut the fuck up and go sulk in your black power gathering center like the little whiny racist bitches that you really are.

Muddy
01-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Yasssss!!! Boycott!!

fricnjay
01-19-2016, 02:25 PM
I am so tired of this racists entitlement attitude. I owe no black man or women a damn thing. All this kind of talk does is create more division not unity. It would be different if no black man or women had ever won an award but thats no the case.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Being nominated for an award doesn't fall under equal opportunity provisions. You actually have to earn it. Apparently, this year, y'all haven't. Score some better roles that better showcase your acting abilities or go take some acting classes, improve your acting abilities, score some roles and better luck next year. Now shut the fuck up and go sulk in your black power gathering center like the little whiny racist bitches that you really are.

Yasssss!!! Boycott!!

I am so tired of this racists entitlement attitude. I owe no black man or women a damn thing. All this kind of talk does is create more division not unity. It would be different if no black man or women had ever won an award but thats no the case.

Now please excuse me while I go watch the Miss Black America pageant followed by the Black Music Awards and the Latin Grammys on the Black Entertainment Television network [-(

Muddy
01-19-2016, 02:30 PM

They don't get it, bro.. I'm not sure they ever will.

fricnjay
01-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Seriously I have been saying for years I want to create an all white music/dance show and call it the Honky Express!

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Now please excuse me while I go watch the Miss Black America pageant followed by the Black Music Awards and the Latin Grammys on the Black Entertainment Television network [-(

And has anyone seen my application for my United Negro College Fund scholarship? I need to apply. Perhaps the NAACP could help me out with it.

Plus, let's celebrate Black History Month together :cheers:

fricnjay
01-19-2016, 03:17 PM
No I haven't but affirmative action better let me get a job im not qualified for.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2016, 05:26 PM
by Kendall Fisher - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/UVQg4Nf.jpg

On Monday, we celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. and his dedication to equality in the United States. Ironically, the holiday fell just a few days after the second year of all-white Oscar nominations were announced.

Several actors used MLK day to remind the world and the Academy of the importance of his work and why the lack of diversity in the Oscars and in the entertainment industry should be a top priority that needs fixing right now.

David Oyelowo—who was overlooked at last year's Oscars after playing MLK in Selma—spoke out about the issue at the King Legacy Awards on Monday night, where Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs was being honored.

"A year ago, I did a film called Selma, and after the Academy Awards, Cheryl invited me to her office to talk about what went wrong then," he recalled. "We had a deep and meaningful [conversation]. For 20 opportunities to celebrate actors of color, actresses of color, to be missed last year is one thing; for that to happen again this year is unforgivable."

He went on to explain the importance of being recognized at the Oscars for all artists, no matter their race or gender: "The reason why the Oscars are so important is because it is the zenith, it is the epitome, it is the height of celebration of artistic endeavor within the filmmaking community. We grow up aspiring, dreaming, longing to be accepted into that august establishment because it is the height of excellence. I would like to walk away and say it doesn't matter, but it does, because that acknowledgement changes the trajectory of your life, your career, and the culture of the world we live in."

Thus, he encouraged the audience and the Academy to make a step toward change immediately. "The Oscars is on February 28," he explained, "Cheryl needs us to pray that by that date, change is going to come. We need to pray for Cheryl, we need to support Cheryl, we need to love Cheryl. We cannot afford to get bitter, we cannot afford to get negative. But we must make our voice heard."

In similar respects, Idris Elba—who missed out on an Oscar nomination this year for his role in Beasts of No Nation—addressed the diversity issue not only in the Academy and in the U.S., but also in Britain's entertainment industry.

The BBC reports the London-native spoke out before a British group of Parliament members on Monday night to discuss the lack of multicultural people on-screen.

"We need to counter what everybody has, see the lay of the land and see who has which careers in TV—who makes TV, and who is allowed on TV and when they get the opportunity which roles do they play, on and off screen," Elba proposed. "You have to ask the question: are black people normally playing petty criminals? Are women always the love interest or talking about men? Are gay people always stereotyped? Are disabled people ever seen at all?"

The Luther actor went on to explain that he decided to travel to America because of its famous diversity policy that lies in the American Dream. However, he said the problem exists in "the gap between the dream and reality."

"Now the gap is what Martin Luther King set out to fill in his dream. To champion diversity is to champion the American dream," he said.The lack of diversity at the 2016 Oscars has sparked quite a bit of controversy, resurfacing 2015's famous #OscarsSoWhite hashtag and even resulting in some people (like Jada Pinkett-Smith) boycotting the show.

Isaacs addressed the issue in a statement on Monday night saying, "While we celebrate their extraordinary achievements, I am both heartbroken and frustrated about the lack of inclusion. This is a difficult but important conversation, and it's time for big changes."

She continued, "The Academy is taking dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership. In the coming days and weeks we will conduct a review of our membership recruitment in order to bring about much-needed diversity in our 2016 class and beyond."

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Jackie Strause and Abid Rahman, The Hollywood Reporter

http://i.imgur.com/DHyFfnE.jpg

(The Hollywood Reporter) Janet Hubert is the latest celebrity to speak out about the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, but she is aiming her thoughts at two people in particular: Jada Pinkett and Will Smith.

The actress, who co-starred alongside Smith for years on "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" as Aunt Viv, posted an online video on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in response to Pinkett Smith's video announcing why she plans to boycott the 2016 Oscars.

For the second consecutive year, no black actors were nominated in any of the four acting categories — including Smith, who was snubbed for his lead role in "Concussion." "The Academy has the right to acknowledge whomever they choose, to invite whomever they choose and now I think that it's our responsibility, now, to make the change," Pinkett Smith said in her video. "Maybe it is time that we pull back our resources and we put them back into our communities and our programs and we make programs for ourselves that acknowledge us in ways that we see fit, that are just as good as the so-called 'mainstream' ones."

Referring to Pinkett Smith as "Miss Thing," Hubert opens her video by asking, "Does your man not have a mouth of his own with which to speak?" before launching into her thoughts on the controversy that has drawn so much attention (it even prompted the Academy to release a rare statement on Monday.)

"I find it ironic that somebody who has made their living and has made millions and millions of dollars from the very people that you're talking about boycotting just because you didn't get a nomination, just because you didn't win?" said Hubert. "That's not the way life works, baby."

She continued, "You ain't Barack and Michelle Obama. And y'all need to get over yourselves. You have a huge production company that you only produce your friends and family and yourself. So you are a part of Hollywood, you are part of the system that is unfair to other actors. So get real."

Hubert then recalled how, when they were filming Fresh Prince years ago, she approached then-star Smith about banding together to ask the network for a cast-wide raise like the "white shows" do, like Friends. "Your response to me was 'my deal is my deal. And your deal is your deal,'" she says.

She ends the post by saying, "You know some of us have got mortgages to pay, we got bills to pay, we have bigger shit to worry about than the Oscars."

Pinkett Smith isn't the only one in Hollywood to speak out in protest against this year's nominations. Filmmaker Spike Lee, who was awarded an honorary Oscar at the Governors Awards in November, said that while he appreciated that recognition, he and his wife "cannot support" this year's Academy Awards. Al Sharpton, "Straight Outta Compton" executive producer Will Packer and Chris Rock, who is set to host the Feb. 28, were all quick to call out the lack of diversity after Thursday's announcements.

On Monday, Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, issued a lengthy statement on the subject, saying she was both "heartbroken" and "frustrated" and promised big changes. "The Academy is taking dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership," she said in the statement. "In the coming days and weeks we will conduct a review of our membership recruitment in order to bring about much-needed diversity in our 2016 class and beyond."

Watch the video here (warning: it contains profanity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9eY-kKXBnQ

First of all, Miss Thing. Does your man not have a mouth of his own with which to speak? And, the second thing is — girlfriend, there are a lot of shit going in the world that you all don’t seem to recognize. People are dying, our boys are being shot left and right, people are hungry, people are starving, people are trying to pay bills, and you’re talking about some muthaf— actors and Oscars. It ain't that deep.

And here’s the other thing. For you to ask other actors and other blacktresses and black actors to jeopardize their career and their standing in a town you know damn well you don’t do that. And, here’s the other thing, they don’t care. They don’t care!

I find it ironic that somebody who has made their living and has made millions and millions of dollars from the very people that you’re talking about boycotting just because you didn’t get a nomination, just because you didn’t win? That’s not the way life works, baby. Okay? And it’s very suspect to me.

And I seem to recall, hmmm, 26 maybe 27 years ago, 25 whatever it was, I don't even remember, I do remember at option time coming to you and saying "you know what Will, you're the star of the show, why don't we all get together and with you maybe we can all get a little raise. Maybe the network will think that since the show is such a hit and you being the star of the show, your influence will help us greatly. Like they did on Friends. Like white shows do! Remember that? Do you remember that? Because I do. Hmm. And your response to me was "my deal is my deal. And your deal is your deal.

Well karma must be a b— because now here you are, you've had a few flops. There are those out there who really deserved a nod and Idris Elba was one of them. Lord have mercy! Beasts of No Nation was incredible that man is an incredible actor. You are not. Maybe you didn't deserve a nomination. I don't think frankly you deserved a Golden Globe nomination with that accent but you got one. Just because the world don't go the way you want it to go doesn't mean you can go out and start asking people to sing "We Shall Overcome" for you.

You ain't Barack and Michelle Obama. And y'all need to get over yourselves. You have a huge production company that you only produce your friends and family and yourself. So you are a part of Hollywood, you are part of the system that is unfair to other actors. So get real

Now for those of you who say, "Ms Hubert, here she goes being bitter" B— please, its not about being bitter its about being right. You know some of us have got mortgages to pay, we got bills to pay, we have bigger shit to worry about than the Oscars.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-19-2016, 05:58 PM
Get yo ass to the BET awards niggas!!

Curiously, how many white people get nominated in those?

fricnjay
01-21-2016, 06:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LWdeLov.jpg

Stacey Dash has a lot to say on the 2016 Oscars boycott.

On Wednesday, the Clueless actor and Fox News contributor took issue with the lack of diversity in this year's list of Academy Awards nominees while chatting with Steve Doocy on Fox & Friends – but says the boycott stars including Jada Pinkett Smith have called for won't work.

"I think it's ludicrous," she said. "Because we have to make up our minds. Either we want segregation or integration."

The outspoken actress, who turned 49 on Wednesday, also stated that she's glad the issue has finally received some attention, but in order for things to change, we need to get rid of the "double standard" currently in place.

"If we don't want segregation, then we need to get rid of channels like BET, and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you're only awarded if you're black," she explained. "If it were the other way around, we would be up in arms. It's a double standard."

Dash continued on, arguing that because there's no White History Month, a Black History Month shouldn't exist either.

"What I find astounding is that we've had a president who is black in office for the past eight years, who gets most of his funding from the liberal elite in Hollywood," she added, referring to President Barack Obama. "Yet, there are not very many roles for people of color. How can that be? And why is it just now being addressed?"

A few celebrities, including Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith, are boycotting this year's ceremony, as they are frustrated that an all-white list of nominees in the acting categories was announced for the second year in a row. Doocy brought up the fact that he understands why Smith would be angry, as her husband, Will Smith, wasn't nominated for his role in Concussion.

"He did a great job in the movie, but at the same time, what does that say about how people are selected for these awards?" Doocy asked Dash.

"Right. That's assuming they're selected by race, which I think would be a disservice to the people who are looking at the films and making the choices," she said. "Maybe [the Academy] need[s] to be more, you know, integrated, and there needs to be more diverse people in the process of electing."

Doocy then explained that, although the Academy demographics are kept secret, he claims they are "predominately white males" based on investigations that have come to light.

"I hope they're looking for the best movies and the best actors," Dash said in response to Doocy's statement. "The good news is, there's attention brought to it now. But, like I said, over the past eight years, we've had a president who's black, who gets his funding mainly from Hollywood. 'The elite liberals.' So, it's odd to me that this has now become such an issue."

by Desiree Murphy 11:39 AM PST, January 20, 2016

Goofy
01-21-2016, 07:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LWdeLov.jpg

Stacey Dash has a lot to say on the 2016 Oscars boycott.

On Wednesday, the Clueless actor and Fox News contributor took issue with the lack of diversity in this year's list of Academy Awards nominees while chatting with Steve Doocy on Fox & Friends – but says the boycott stars including Jada Pinkett Smith have called for won't work.

"I think it's ludicrous," she said. "Because we have to make up our minds. Either we want segregation or integration."

The outspoken actress, who turned 49 on Wednesday, also stated that she's glad the issue has finally received some attention, but in order for things to change, we need to get rid of the "double standard" currently in place.

"If we don't want segregation, then we need to get rid of channels like BET, and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you're only awarded if you're black," she explained. "If it were the other way around, we would be up in arms. It's a double standard."

Dash continued on, arguing that because there's no White History Month, a Black History Month shouldn't exist either.

"What I find astounding is that we've had a president who is black in office for the past eight years, who gets most of his funding from the liberal elite in Hollywood," she added, referring to President Barack Obama. "Yet, there are not very many roles for people of color. How can that be? And why is it just now being addressed?"

A few celebrities, including Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith, are boycotting this year's ceremony, as they are frustrated that an all-white list of nominees in the acting categories was announced for the second year in a row. Doocy brought up the fact that he understands why Smith would be angry, as her husband, Will Smith, wasn't nominated for his role in Concussion.

"He did a great job in the movie, but at the same time, what does that say about how people are selected for these awards?" Doocy asked Dash.

"Right. That's assuming they're selected by race, which I think would be a disservice to the people who are looking at the films and making the choices," she said. "Maybe [the Academy] need[s] to be more, you know, integrated, and there needs to be more diverse people in the process of electing."

Doocy then explained that, although the Academy demographics are kept secret, he claims they are "predominately white males" based on investigations that have come to light.

"I hope they're looking for the best movies and the best actors," Dash said in response to Doocy's statement. "The good news is, there's attention brought to it now. But, like I said, over the past eight years, we've had a president who's black, who gets his funding mainly from Hollywood. 'The elite liberals.' So, it's odd to me that this has now become such an issue."

by Desiree Murphy 11:39 AM PST, January 20, 2016

:clap:

redred
01-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Will Smith has been told he's not allowed to show up now :roll:

fricnjay
01-21-2016, 09:05 PM
:clap:

Its amazing that someone famous for a movie called "Clueless" could make so much damn sense. :lol:

Goofy
01-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Its amazing that someone famous for a movie called "Clueless" could make so much damn sense. :lol:

She was hot as fuck back then too :homer:

deebakes
01-22-2016, 03:14 AM
:+1:

:wank:

Godfather
01-22-2016, 05:17 AM
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race

Looks like the number of Oscars to black actors is in line with the population... thanks Spike, for being a fucking idiot.

Hikari Kisugi
01-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Will Smith has been told he's not allowed to show up now :roll:

by his wife? or by someone else?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Maybe white people should stop paying to see their movies...stop buying their CD's...

redred
01-22-2016, 04:41 PM
by his wife? or by someone else?

i would think his wife :lol:

Goofy
01-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Maybe white people should stop paying to see their movies...stop buying their CD's...

I've been doing that for years :)

Goofy
01-22-2016, 05:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ

fricnjay
01-22-2016, 06:27 PM
I saw that interview and he is right on the money

Muddy
01-23-2016, 12:56 AM

Yassssssss!!!

Muddy
01-23-2016, 12:59 AM
I saw that interview and he is right on the money

You got to love people that get it..

redred
01-26-2016, 09:05 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/cedf55766c393a30b4fbfaa9085ff507.jpg