PDA

View Full Version : Bartender Notices No Tip On Receipt, Then Realizes The Customer Left Behind A Card

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2016, 01:26 PM
By Charles Roberts - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/Ny3z9i4.jpg

An anonymous resident in Seattle sparked controversy after leaving a “no tipping” note at a restaurant instead of a gratuity.

Bartender Anthony Fetto said he first noticed the card, placed underneath a receipt that had “zero” written in the tip line, while serving customers at work.

“He was actually sitting right next to the server station where I was, so I was right there all the time, he was getting the best service,” Fetto told WTKR News of the customer.

Written on the card was a short explanation of why the customer doesn’t tip in Seattle. According to the customer, a $15 minimum wage means higher cost to consumers and more money in the servers’ pockets, therefore making them less reliant on tips. The card also called the Seattle city council “vultures.”

The card further noted that the man's decision to not tip had nothing to do with the bartender's service.

“It didn’t get me mad or anything, I was like wow, this is kinda silly like, y’know, tipping is a choice," Fetto said.

The card included a link to a Facebook page, where supporters of the “No Tipping” movement can vent their frustrations.

http://i.imgur.com/v40d5sU.jpg

Fetto told WTKR that he wishes the customer would have talked to him before leaving the card — especially considering he makes much less than $15 per hour, as the card claimed.

“At least come up and tell me personally like make a human contact, don’t be very passive aggressive and just kind of leave this and walk away without saying anything,” he said.

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage hike is reportedly a slow-moving process that will be phased in gradually over the course of seven years.

RBP
01-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Servers will make $15 as well?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Servers will make $15 as well?

Yes, from what I understand about the law, it gets rid of the service industry's lower minimum wage and changes it all to just one minimum wage, everyone will make $15/hour minimum once the law is fully rolled out.

Goofy
01-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Got to imagine the food prices will fly upwards :-k

RBP
01-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Yes, from what I understand about the law, it gets rid of the service industry's lower minimum wage and changes it all to just one minimum wage, everyone will make $15/hour minimum once the law is fully rolled out.

Then I agree. They eliminated tipping.

fricnjay
01-27-2016, 05:32 PM

Then I will start getting rid of my tipping practices. :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Then I will start getting rid of my tipping practices. :-k

It varies from state to state and city to city. This particular law only affects Seattle, although there are a few other places that have enacted similar laws.

RBP
01-27-2016, 05:38 PM
But once you remove the lower service minimum, you have eliminated tipping as a wage mechanism.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2016, 05:41 PM
I completely endorse the tipping standard we use in this country. Yes, you are allowed to be paid less than minimum wage because of tipping, but a good server can make a buttload of money. I always tip well above the 15% standard for good service. I fully believe that with a guaranteed minimum wage of $15/hour or more, that service will suffer and waiters/waitresses will be less likely to give you good service.

fricnjay
01-27-2016, 05:42 PM
At 40 hours its 600 a week before taxes. Honestly for a good waiter that's about what they would make with tips, more depending on the restaurant. :-k

RBP
01-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Completely agree. That needs to be discussed as a society I suppose? :-k

Pony
01-27-2016, 05:45 PM
If I know the servers are making $15 I will still tip on good service, it sure as hell won't be 15-20% though. especially after the cost of the meal increases by 30%

Pony
01-27-2016, 05:47 PM
At 40 hours its 600 a week before taxes. Honestly for a good waiter that's about what they would make with tips, more depending on the restaurant. :-k

Most bartenders I know don't claim much of their income in taxes, 600/week - taxes vs $600/week cash in your pocket.

RBP
01-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Yep. Wait until they figure out that $15/hr is a cut in take home pay.

Muddy
01-27-2016, 06:15 PM
You cant make $15 an hour and tips just for carrying food to someones table..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2016, 06:33 PM
I would definitely have a hard time tipping someone that is making $15/hour especially considering that we the customers would already be paying for the wage increase through the increased cost of the food.

RBP
01-28-2016, 03:50 AM
I have been thinking about this... the downstream effects are staggering.

Lance is right, the restaurant won't eat the cost increases. But consider the magnitude of the cost increases.

Back up a level... to the suppliers who also have to pay $15 to the people who prep the supplies. That means that every purchased item just went up in cost as did the delivery to get it there.

The busboy now makes $15, so can you really pay the servers the same wage? Probably not, so the servers go to $20. You can't pay the shift supervisor $30k when the servers are making $40k, so that person goes to $45k. You can't pay the assistant manager $40k any more, so that person goes to $50k. Wow. We are talking about astronomical food cost increases, some of which the customers will not be willing to pay. Say goodbye to average restaurants on tight margins.

And free delivery services? HA! Not when your pizza delivery guy makes $15/hr.

RBP
01-28-2016, 03:56 AM
The McDonald's near me used to sell a sausage egg and cheese biscuit for $2.99, which I considered high. It is now a sausage and egg biscuit for $2.99 and cheese costs an extra 30 cents. :fu:

I won't buy a $5 breakfast sandwich.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-28-2016, 12:31 PM

Lance is right, the restaurant won't eat the cost increases. But consider the magnitude of the cost increases.

Back up a level... to the suppliers who also have to pay $15 to the people who prep the supplies. That means that every purchased item just went up in cost as did the delivery to get it there.

The busboy now makes $15, so can you really pay the servers the same wage? Probably not, so the servers go to $20. You can't pay the shift supervisor $30k when the servers are making $40k, so that person goes to $45k. You can't pay the assistant manager $40k any more, so that person goes to $50k. Wow. We are talking about astronomical food cost increases, some of which the customers will not be willing to pay. Say goodbye to average restaurants on tight margins.

:agreed:

Take for example the 'casual' dining restaurants, like Chili's or Applebees or TGIFridays. Go to one of those places and order something simple, like one of their burgers. Now granted, they are much better than what you get at a fast food place, but they are already in the $10 range for a burger, depending on what kind you get. Now, with all the cost increases in salary that RBP brought up (not to mention all the increased taxes the business will be paying because of the increased payroll) and imagine what just a simple burger will cost at a place like that. Will you be willing to pay $20 for a hamburger? How about $40 for a basic steak at one of those places? Or how about the soft drinks that used to be unlimited refills now costing you $5 per glass?

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Who would have guessed there would be backlash

Muddy
01-28-2016, 06:45 PM

I hear you, but $15.00 an hour is $31.2 a year.. Where'd you get the 45k ?

RBP
01-28-2016, 06:52 PM
I hear you, but $15.00 an hour is $31.2 a year.. Where'd you get the 45k ?

I am not sure I can explain it better than I did above, and it was just supposition anyway. The point was the entire scale moves up. When you raise the lowest employee, you have to raise everyone above them.

Muddy
01-28-2016, 06:54 PM
I am not sure I can explain it better than I did above, and it was just supposition anyway. The point was the entire scale moves up. When you raise the lowest employee, you have to raise everyone above them.

I get it... Or in Bernie sanders world everyone makes 45k... :lol:

Goofy
01-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Methinks a lot of places are gonna be closing their doors!

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2016, 07:05 PM
I get it... Or in Bernie sanders world everyone makes 45k... :lol:

And then taxed at 90%

Teh One Who Knocks
01-28-2016, 07:21 PM
And then taxed at 90%

But you'll have 'free' healthcare :tup: