PDA

View Full Version : 'Get a job!' Teen girl under fire after asking people to donate $3,500 for her 'first car' on a crowdfunding website - despite promising to give 10% of the money 'to charity'

Teh One Who Knocks
01-28-2016, 12:56 PM
By Erica Tempesta For Dailymail.com

A teenage girl has learned the hard way that sometimes it does hurt to ask. The young woman is facing backlash online after she tried to raise $3,500 on a crowdfunding page so she could buy a car - while promising to donate 10 per cent of her earnings to charity.

The American high school senior, who is known as 'brattyreyna' on Instagram, posted a photo of her now-defunct GoFundMe page, titled 'Reynas First Car', on the photo-sharing app in the hopes of inspiring some of her followers to donate to her cause.

'Okay so I'm have to share something great! I am going to graduate in 4 months and I can't wait!!' Reyna wrote. 'However, I'm in need of a car. I've started a GoFundMe account to help me raise $3500! [sic]'

http://i.imgur.com/jwLEfI6.png

'With that money I plan on buying not only my car but also donating 10% of the donations to St. Judes Children's Hospital!' she continued. 'I want to thank everyone in advance for every penny, nickel, and dime received! There's a link in my bio. Don't be scared to check out. Much love [sic]'

And while people have been known to raise money for everything from laptops to honeymoons on crowdfunding sites, Reyna's plan backfired terribly after one of her critics told her to go get a job.

'There's placed that will donate money to you but you have to go in and do some work for some hours,' Instagram user ian_bradshaw wrote on her now-private account. 'You get paid every week or two depends on the place but you can make like 400 or more every two weeks.'

Reyna, who clearly missed the sarcasm oozing from his comment, went on to direct message him and ask: 'What's the place?'

http://i.imgur.com/U1QRWXV.png

Keeping up with his faux sincerity, Ian responded: 'It depends on your area but you can just search google for "places hiring near me" and get a job. [sic]'

Ian, who took screen grabs of their conversation on Instagram, shared the photo on Twitter over the weekend and became an online hero for slamming Reyna's crowdfunding attempt.

'Ain't no handouts bihh [sic],' he tweeted, and the post has been shared more than 20,000 times.

In response to the online hate, Reyna changed her Instagram bio to say: 'to all of Ian's b****es, I do have a job thx [sic['

She also posted another message along with a picture of someone holding up her middle finger, while explaining the reason for her crowdfunding page.

'Just fyi I do have a job and I do work hard to earn money so if me trying to raise a little extra to help me get a car bc I'm doing it on my own is a problem then sorry but go f**k yourself [sic],' she wrote.

http://i.imgur.com/nfn5gAo.png

Meanwhile, people cruelly flocked to Reyna's GoFundMe page to call her vulgar names, including 'stupid b***h' and 'lazy hoe', which presumably prompted her to shut it down.

Before she gave up on the crowdfunding page, at least one person donated $20 to her cause. And amid the controversy, Reyna has garnered some fans as her number of Instagram followers has almost doubled within in days, going from 1,217 to 2,526.

Reyna has even encouraged her haters by changing her bio to say: 'I definitely don't have a job.' However, she has since made her account private.

And while Reyna and Ian waged an online battle, a man named Andy Cobden, from Gedling Ward, England, is using the opportunity to try and raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital with the creation of a GoFundMe page entitled, 'Not for Reynas first car'.

'So, I saw an article about a young lady who set up a go find me page to raise $3500 for her first car. 10% of the funds raised would then go to St. Judes hospital,' he explained on Tuesday. 'Don't think I need to point out the issues with that. So let's raise £3500 for St. Judes instead. If we do, I'll send her a hotwheels set. [sic]'

Fodster
01-29-2016, 06:06 AM
:facepalm::bs: