PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Parents Upset Over 'White Guilt' Video Shown To Students

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/26bExVJ.png

Some parents in Henrico, Virginia, are upset over an animated video (below) that was shown in a local high school during Black History month. The video portrays the discrimination that black people face, and the privilege that white people enjoy in the U.S.

"They are sitting there watching a video that is dividing them up from a racial standpoint," Don Blake, who has a granddaughter in the school, told WWBT. "It's a white guilt kind of video. I think somebody should be held accountable for this."

The video, entitled "Structural Discrimination: The Unequal Opportunity Race," was produced by a white woman, Erica Pinto, for the African American Policy Forum.

The Epoch Times notes that the video shows two white and two black runners in a track race in which slavery keeps the black runners holding at the starting line, giving the white runners a long lead.

The black runners also face real-life obstacles such as discrimination, high incarceration rates, poor schooling, racial profiling and underemployment.

A black male runner ends up jailed, while a black female runner hits a wall in her lane labeled "Dead End."

However, a white male runner wins the race by simply standing on a moving walkway as the words "connections" and "privilege" roll across the screen. A white woman comes in second while the white man stands still on the walkway.

Henrico school officials said in a statement: "The students participated in a presentation that involved American history and racial discourse. A segment of the video was one component of a thoughtful discussion in which all viewpoints were encouraged. As always, we are welcoming of feedback from students and their families, and we address concerns directly as they come forward."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX_Vzl-r8NY

RBP
02-10-2016, 01:37 PM
:roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
:roll:

:privilege:

RBP
02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
:privilege:

I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I am too busy carrying my cylinder of wealth that all us cracker ass motherfuckers get.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I am too busy carrying my cylinder of wealth that all us cracker ass motherfuckers get.

For someone with privilege and wealth, you sound bitter :hand:

Muddy
02-10-2016, 03:49 PM
So this is in my county.. But in a predom. blk. area.

deebakes
02-11-2016, 03:00 AM
:haha:

Muddy
02-11-2016, 03:36 AM
Yeah its hilarious.. :| so apparently this was shown at my kids school, but she was off that day.. Im utterly fucking shocked that someone was allowed to show that turd to the entire student body.. Wheres my fucking escalator ride to Yale and free ride????? grrrrrrrr

RBP
02-11-2016, 04:35 AM
Yeah its hilarious.. :| so apparently this was shown at my kids school, but she was off that day.. Im utterly fucking shocked that someone was allowed to show that turd to the entire student body.. Wheres my fucking escalator ride to Yale and free ride????? grrrrrrrr

:hand: You have a huge cylinder of ill-gotten booty for Yale, white oppressor.

Muddy
02-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Here's my current post to the Richmond Times Dispatch newspaper..

Where's my free ride when I was working as a young electrician making $3.35 an hour crawling underneath shit hole houses to earn a crappy living? The implications this POS video puts on all white male Americans is abhorrent. Now I agree that since the dawn of civilization there has always been a fraction of ultra Rich people who have benefitted from shady deals and the oppression of other services to their own benefit. But to say that white America in general has benefitted from this is a load of trash that I reject, and you can be damn sure in the fact that I will de-program my kids from this social justice guilt game that some self righteous excuse making "educator" in Henrico county found appropriate to shove down a bunch of kids throats. Shame on you Henrico.. You haven't helped race relations, you brought a bunch of innocent kids into a one sided arguement that no one that sees clearly will EVER accept.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2016, 11:47 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/g9vPWHy.jpg

An animated film designed as a lesson in “racial discourse” for students at a Virginia high school will not be shown after it made students uncomfortable and drew criticism from parents who called it “white guilt.”

The video was shown at Glen Allen High School in Henrico during two assemblies for Black History Month and depicts several runners on a track, with black runners facing insurmountable obstacles while white runners are unimpeded.

Officials said in a statement Tuesday that the video, “The Unequal Opportunity Race,” was a presentation involving “American history and racial discourse.” They added, “A segment of the video was one component of a thoughtful discussion in which all viewpoints were encouraged. As always, we are welcoming of feedback from students and their families, and we address concerns directly as they come forward.”

Henrico County Superintendent Patrick C. Kinlaw acknowledged Wednesday that the video may not have been the best way to deliver a lesson in “racial discourse.”

"While we as educators do not object to difficult and constructive conversations about American history and racial discourse past and present, we understand why many people feel this video in particular was not the best way to deliver such an important lesson," Kinlsaw said in the statement.

Don Blake, whose daughter attended the assembly where the video was show, said Wednesday that someone should be held accountable for the way the video was presented.

“They are sitting there watching a video that is dividing them up from a racial standpoint. It’s a white guilt kind of video,” Blake told WWBT.

Luke Harris, co-founder of the African-American Policy Forum, which created the video, told The Washington Post that the video was produced for "elementary and secondary schools or in college studies courses."

"We found that the video has a huge impact on the people that we're showing it to," said Harris, who is also an associate professor of political science at Vassar College. "Most of us know very little about the social history of the United States and its contemporary impact. It was designed as a tool to throw light on American history."

Administrators across the district have been instructed not to use the video, said school board chairwoman Michelle Ogburn in a statement. She apologized to those who were offended.

"In addition, steps are being taken to prevent the use of racially divisive materials in the future," Ogburn said.

The video comes four months after a student mistakenly played a song over the public address system before a football game that was a racist parody of the "DuckTales" theme song.

Pony
02-12-2016, 12:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aiTim4T.jpg

Muddy
02-12-2016, 06:06 PM
This is still a pretty hot topic around town.. We're looking for people to lose jobs over this.

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Aren't you loving how every where you look, you see educators making seriously bad decisions? It validates every time I felt that the teachers and administrators of the schools that I went to as a kid were indeed idiots.

Pony
02-12-2016, 10:00 PM
This is still a pretty hot topic around town.. We're looking for people to lose jobs over this.

Good, maybe a few firings and resignations will stop other idiots from doing similar.

Muddy
02-13-2016, 03:08 PM
The bad thing is that there is a huge swath of the population that agrees with showing this crap to kids without authorization from the parents.. And by agrees, I mean militantly.. Its totally mind blowing the anger people are carrying around with them for whip marks they dont even have.. The video isnt even about education, its about jealousy, excuses, and in their minds "payback"..