PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam seeks US support in China dispute

AntZ
06-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Vietnam seeks US support in China dispute

By Ben Bland in Hanoi

Published: June 12 2011

Vietnam has called on the US and other nations to help resolve the escalating territorial disputes in the resource-rich South China Sea, in a move likely to anger Beijing, which opposes what it sees as outside interference.

Tensions between China and Vietnam continued to rise over the weekend, ahead of live-fire drills planned by Vietnam’s navy on Monday on an islet around 20 miles from the coast of central Vietnam, which Hanoi described as “routine”.

Stirred by a number of maritime confrontations with China over recent weeks, hundreds of Vietnamese took part in rare anti-China protests on Sunday for the second straight weekend, with the usually draconian police allowing the demonstrations to take place.

“China is running an information campaign to blind people,” said Pham Gia Minh, a 55-year-old investment consultant who attended a protest outside the Chinese embassy in Hanoi. “We have to let people understand that we want peace but when the aggressor comes we will stand up to them.”

In addition to China and Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan claim some or all of the territory in the contested area of the South China Sea, which is believed to contain vast oil and gas reserves and incorporates key trade routes and abundant fish stocks.

The Vietnamese government has ratcheted up its rhetoric in recent weeks amid growing public disquiet over perceived maritime bullying by China, which dominated Vietnam for 1000 years and fought a brief but bloody border war against it in 1979. At the weekend Vietnam’s foreign ministry said that it would “welcome” efforts by the US and other nations to help resolve the South China Sea dispute and maintain peace and stability.

Such sentiments are unlikely to go down well in Beijing, which insists that the long-running row over the South China Sea must be resolved on a purely bilateral basis.

China reacted angrily last July when Hillary Clinton, US secretary of state, insisted that the South China Sea was of strategic importance to the US and offered to act as a mediator.

The US said on Friday that is was “troubled” by the latest developments in the South China Sea, with Mark Toner, a state department spokesman, warning that “shows of force” only increase tensions, which have been on the rise in recent weeks.

Hanoi and Beijing have traded accusations of infringement of sovereignty and harassment of their fishing and oil exploration vessels and China has also clashed with the Philippines in a similar fashion.

“China’s behaviour has gone from assertive to aggressive,” said Ian Storey, a fellow at the Institute for Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore and an expert on maritime security in the South China Sea.

In the latest incident, last Thursday, Vietnam claimed that, for the second time in recent weeks, Chinese boats had trespassed onto its territory and deliberately tried to cut undersea cables deployed by a ship hired by PetroVietnam, the state oil and gas monopoly. China dismissed the allegations, claiming that the boats were fishing in its sovereign waters when they were “illegally chased away by armed Vietnamese ships,” endangering the fishermen’s lives.

The Chinese government remained silent on Sunday, but Hanoi’s latest move is likely to infuriate Beijing as China insists its territorial disputes in the South China Sea must be dealt with bilaterally.

A year ago, Beijing decisively rejected remarks by Hillary Clinton in which the US secretary of state called peace in the region a US national interest and called for a multilateral approach in resolving the disputes.

A regional security expert at National Defense University in Beijing called Hanoi’s latest move a provocation. “This is calculated to provoke a reaction in China which they can then dismiss as aggressive,” said the expert who declined to be named because he was not authorized to speak to foreign media.

The growing tension in the South China Sea also triggered angry reactions among nationalist Chinese on the internet.

”If a single shell falls into Chinese waters, including disputed waters, we should shoot to kill. Can’t we do what North Korea can?” wrote one user on Tiexue, an online bulletin board popular with military enthusiasts and nationalist web users, in reaction to Vietnam’s plans for naval exercises in the area on Monday.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05e83b34-94db-11e0-a648-00144feab49a.html

Wow! How times have changed! :shock:

I've read before that Vietnam has actually been a rather solid trade partner with the U.S. in recent years, and eager to be friends.

Looks like they saw the signs of China's growing dominance and wanted no part of it! :-k

Muddy
06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey Sweet! The VietNam War part deux..

AntZ
06-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey Sweet! The VietNam War part deux..

Bizarre?? This time the U.S. can supply Hanoi against China! In stead of the other way around!

Talk about strange bed fellas!

Deepsepia
06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Bizarre?? This time the U.S. can supply Hanoi against China! In stead of the other way around!

Talk about strange bed fellas!

The Vietnamese are quite pro-US.

Its actually one of the strongest arguments against foreign intervention.

Once we got out of Vietnam, their historical strategic interests became paramount-- and they've been fighting the Chinese for a thousand years.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I hear that Vietnam is supposed to be a nice tourist destination for Americans too nowadays...if you can afford the airfare over there.

Muddy
06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I heard Rambo was over there recently and rescued some POW's that were never released..

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I heard Rambo was over there recently and rescued some POW's that were never released..

:machinegun:

redred
06-13-2011, 02:44 PM
I hear that Vietnam is supposed to be a nice tourist destination for Americans too nowadays...if you can afford the airfare over there.

i watched a tv program the other night with that chef Gordon Ramsay he was visting and learning about their food,looked a real nice place from the bits on the show

Godfather
06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I've had several friends go there and love it.

One of them told me she was just going to go on hikes by herself 'off the beaten path' :roll:

I told her to enjoy the landmines and unexploded ordinates off the beaten path. She was not amused.

Muddy
06-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Tell her to take off her clothes and run around clutching her tits while screaming DIDI MOW !!! DIDI MOWWW!!!

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/abcmaya/gh3_caption.jpg

Deepsepia
06-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I've had several friends go there and love it.

One of them told me she was just going to go on hikes by herself 'off the beaten path' :roll:

I told her to enjoy the landmines and unexploded ordinates off the beaten path. She was not amused.

That is funny. Yeah, there's a lot of unexploded ordnance there, even thirty years later. Hell, there's still unexploded ordnance from WW 1 that the French dig up. In Vietnam, I'd expect that there'd be areas which would be more and less safe, our heavy bombing was in the North.

Godfather
06-13-2011, 07:02 PM
I still wouldn't walk off designated trails... lots of kids still losing limbs.

Yeah there are unexploded ordinates from both World Wars! At the speed they're getting rid of landmines and bombs in France it would take another 600 years or something ridiculous :lol: . My understanding is that in some of the old battlefields they still don't mow the lawns.

So they keep sheep to control the grass and every once in a while one goes *POOF*

Acid Trip
06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
So they keep sheep to control the grass and every once in a while one goes *POOF*

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Where is PETA on that one?

Arkady Renko
06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Maybe it's time to go see vietnam before the chinese burn it to the ground?

Muddy
06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Maybe it's time to go see vietnam before the chinese burn it to the ground?

The Chinese arent gonna do anything..