PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at Texas ranch

DemonGeminiX
02-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said.

Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa.

According to a report, Scalia arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

Chief U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia, of the Western Judicial District of Texas, was notified about the death from the U.S. Marshals Service.

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery said he was among those notified about Scalia's death.

"I was told it was this morning," Biery said of Scalia's death. "It happened on a ranch out near Marfa. As far as the details, I think it's pretty vague right now as to how," he said. "My reaction is it's very unfortunate. It's unfortunate with any death, and politically in the presidential cycle we're in, my educated guess is nothing will happen before the next president is elected."

The U.S. Marshal Service, the Presidio County sheriff and the FBI were involved in the investigation.
Officials with the law enforcement agencies declined to comment.

A federal official who asked not to be named said there was no evidence of foul play and it appeared that Scalia died of natural causes.

A gray Cadillac hearse pulled into the ranch Saturday afternoon and left about 5 p.m. The hearse came from Alpine Memorial Funeral Home.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott released a statement Saturday afternoon, calling Scalia a man of God, a patriot and an "unwavering defender of the written Constitution."

"He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution," Abbott said. "We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law. Cecilia and I extend our deepest condolences to his family, and we will keep them in our thoughts and prayers."

Scalia was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.

Staff writers Vianna Davila, Tyler White, Richard A. Marini and John MacCormack contributed to this report.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-found-dead-at-texas-ranch/ar-BBpt1JE?li=BBnb7Kz

Godfather
02-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Interesting. Does Obama have time to get a new Justice in? Sounds like it will be tight.

RBP
02-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Interesting. Does Obama have time to get a new Justice in? Sounds like it will be tight.

The senate majority leader said the new appointee will wait for the new president. The current president said he will appoint one. *clusterfuck ensues*

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the senate can hold off from confirming a King Obama nominee

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the senate can hold off from confirming a King Obama nominee

They could, if they have the nuts to do it like the 1987 Democrat-controlled Senate did with Reagan's appointee Robert Bork.

RBP
02-14-2016, 03:56 PM
They could, if they have the nuts to do it like the 1987 Democrat-controlled Senate did with Reagan's appointee Robert Bork.

They demonstrated their nuts on that free-money budget deal.

Godfather
02-14-2016, 06:01 PM
I've always heard appointing a Justice is considered one of the biggest and longest lasting decisions a President makes... you'd have to think Senate would want to flex their muscles if they could stop it, being a Republican majority and all.

On the other hand, Scalia stood in the way of social progress for decades... I'm sure Obama will badly want to put someone far more progressive in if he can. I would.

Should be an interesting clusterfuck :lol:

RBP
02-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Not to mention that it instantly and dramatically changes the discourse on the presidential election.

redred
02-14-2016, 08:19 PM
:obama:

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2016, 08:34 PM
I've always heard appointing a Justice is considered one of the biggest and longest lasting decisions a President makes... you'd have to think Senate would want to flex their muscles if they could stop it, being a Republican majority and all.

On the other hand, Scalia stood in the way of social progress for decades... I'm sure Obama will badly want to put someone far more progressive in if he can. I would.

Should be an interesting clusterfuck :lol:

I'm happy that you're Canadian.

redred
02-14-2016, 08:41 PM
:lol: how polite

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm sure he's also happy he's Canadian.

Godfather
02-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Sure as shit :lol:

The GOP is openly and proudly calling for an obstruction before even knowing who the nominee is. I wouldn't be happy to see my country so wildly partisan.

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Blame it on Obama. He's pulled everything so far left, farther than we've had in ages. We've had 7 years of him. I think the GOP knows what he's going to try to do. We all do. You can set a watch by his actions. I hope people in this country have had enough, so that they'll get off their lazy asses and vote come November.

RBP
02-14-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm happy that you're Canadian.

Just like Ted Cruz.

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2016, 09:47 PM
Why don't we ever talk about British or Canadian politics in here?

:-k

Godfather
02-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Blame it on Obama. He's pulled everything so far left, farther than we've had in ages. We've had 7 years of him. I think the GOP knows what he's going to try to do. We all do. You can set a watch by his actions. I hope people in this country have had enough, so that they'll get off their lazy asses and vote come November.

Absolutely. That's a great point, the people should absolutely decide and get out and vote.

....Just like they did when Obama won by 5 million votes!

Kidding kidding I'll leave now :lol:

Godfather
02-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Why don't we ever talk about British or Canadian politics in here?

I've posted a few things... they don't get much love :lol: Your politics are on a much larger scale, and often pretty animated. Ours are usually dull (albeit still very important). Also I think Canadians are inherently interested in US politics, it affects us too greatly not to care.

Loser
02-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Funny that two weeks ago, Hitlery said she'd love to nominate obummer to the supreme court....

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2016, 11:40 PM
:shock:

Conspiracy! They've murdered Scalia to make way for Obama's nomination to the SC!

:fbd:

RBP
02-15-2016, 04:52 AM
I've posted a few things... they don't get much love :lol: Your politics are on a much larger scale, and often pretty animated. Ours are usually dull (albeit still very important). Also I think Canadians are inherently interested in US politics, it affects us too greatly not to care.

Mr. Wonderful for PM! :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Mr. Wonderful for PM! :woot:

http://i.imgur.com/F1TAEIM.jpg

RBP
02-15-2016, 11:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/F1TAEIM.jpg

Exactly right.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/18/kevin-o-leary-conservativ_n_9009940.html