PDA

View Full Version : Teen wins Valentine's Day, buys 900 flowers and gives one to every girl at school

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2016, 12:58 PM
By Gillian Edevane - Mashable

http://i.imgur.com/osTZ1G6.jpg

A 17-year-old from Utah spent hundreds of dollars and months of planning to ensure a happy Valentine's Day for all the girls at his high school.

Hayden Godfrey of Smithfield, Utah, bought 900 carnations to distribute to every girl at Sky View High School, a purchase that set him back $450.

"I firmly believe no girl should feel excluded on Valentine's day," Godfrey told Mashable in an interview. "If it was up to me, Valentine's wouldn't be a day about couples, but a day about loving your fellow human beings."

Godfrey's super suave move gained praise after the teen shared pictures of the flowers on his Facebook.

http://i.imgur.com/0KFZWJ2.png

Since then, he's been receiving "tons" of messages from girls who've thanked him for the Valentine's gift.

The carnations were purchased from GlobalRose.com, a wholesaler that sells and delivers bundles of flowers. The site advertises varying prices for carnations depending on stem length and color, but Godfrey chose a mixed assortment and told Mashable he paid $.50 per carnation.

The high school senior's classmates were quick to commend his generous actions on Godfrey's Facebook page.

"I remember you talking about this back in middle school, I'm glad you followed through!," wrote one commenter. "Well done my friend!"

Vice Principal Kurt Hanks told Mashable the flowers were distributed Thursday (the school is closed on Friday, the closest weekday to Valentine's Day, due to administrative meetings) with the help of several volunteers.

"Hayden's a great young man. It was a really nice effort," Hanks said. "He did it purely out of the goodness of his heart, and he raised all the money himself working part-time."

Hanks added that Godfrey had previously given out flowers on a smaller scale for Valentine's Day, but never to the entire female student body.

"He believes girls deserve a flower every Valentine's Day," Hanks said. "For whatever reason, he's got really strong feelings about it."

As for Godfrey's Valentine's plans, he will be spending the day with his girlfriend of six months, Lilyan Sharp, who approved of her boyfriend's bold move. Together they'll attend a Great Big World concert, which Sharp says is one of their favorite bands.

"He's always very sweet," she wrote in a message to Mashable.

Yes, very sweet indeed.

deebakes
02-14-2016, 04:24 PM
:clap:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-16-2016, 05:14 PM
What about the boys #Outrage

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2016, 05:28 PM
What about the boys #Outrage

:ghey:

Noilly Pratt
02-16-2016, 09:07 PM
How about this...my brother in law passed away due to pancreatic cancer in January, but arranged for some flowers and a bathrobe to be delivered to his wife on Valentine's Day. What a legend...

http://i63.tinypic.com/5plzs5.jpg

Tonight I got an awesome Valentine present. The first two guesses don't count . My amazing loving husband Larry went shopping before he passed away and had it arranged that I would have a Valentine present from him even if he was not here in person. I was so surprised when Sammi and the girls handed me a bag and told me it was from Larry. He was such an amazing man , I miss my best friend very much. But I know that when I wear my present or squeeze my bear he is with me. I love you so much Larry and I love forever until we meet again.

redred
02-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Wow, thanks for that share noilly :rip: to your brother in law