PDA

View Full Version : Susan G Komen

Muddy
06-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Good or Bad? Has this "charity" gotten so big that it's as much of a marketing engine/ corporate entity as it is a bonafide charity that helps people?

Whats your take?

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
:huh:

Muddy
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I mean really... How about the partnership with KFC...? "Buckets for the cure"... :lol:

RBP
06-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I am sick of pink everything and preteens wearing I <3 Boobies bracelets.

You can the broadening of the campaigns like SU2C which addresses all forms of cancer not just breast.

As far as their performance as a charity, they are still very highly rated. http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4509

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2011, 08:57 PM
As far as I'm concerned, anyone looking to put a dent into any type of cancer is a good thing.

Pony
06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
I have heard that so much money is spent keeping the SGK corporate machine going, that only a small percentage of the money actually goes to cancer research. The rest is spent on advertising, lawyers to sue anyone who infringes on them and wasteful spending on "business related" expenses. I have also heard first person complaints from a friend who really wanted to help and participate in a walk for the cure on behalf of her mother but was turned away because she hadn't raised the minimum requirement of donations to participate. (I believe it's over $1000, she only had $7-800.)

All that said, anything to raise more awareness and money toward beating cancer is a good thing.

AntZ
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Never heard of her or it??

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
It's a big ass "foundation" that raises money for breast cancer research.

Southern Belle
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Sadly, it's a big business that makes money from people who support breast cancer victims.
Not sure if it's true but I've heard that the CEO of Goodwill makes a 6 figure income.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I have heard that so much money is spent keeping the SGK corporate machine going, that only a small percentage of the money actually goes to cancer research. The rest is spent on advertising, lawyers to sue anyone who infringes on them and wasteful spending on "business related" expenses. I have also heard first person complaints from a friend who really wanted to help and participate in a walk for the cure on behalf of her mother but was turned away because she hadn't raised the minimum requirement of donations to participate. (I believe it's over $1000, she only had $7-800.)

All that said, anything to raise more awareness and money toward beating cancer is a good thing.

Yup, they have a pretty bad rep about going after other charities

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html

Muddy
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
When my wifes mother died from that cancer she got we said "in lieu of flowers, give to the Susan G Komen foundation"... We caught some flack from some of the donors saying they would rather give moneys to a foundation that was not so big because they weren't comfortable that their donation dollars were going to be used for research..

Southern Belle
06-13-2011, 11:11 PM
It's just sickening that we give to support victims and the money is squandered or used to pay over paid management.

Muddy
06-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Something like 10% of every dollar collected go's to "administration".. per wiki..

Southern Belle
06-13-2011, 11:16 PM
There has to be administration. Somebody has to manage the funds that are donated and figure out how to get more donations , but it seems there is abuse.
Appearances of abuse can affect how much and how many people donate.
I had a friend to did one of the walks and she was pretty disillusioned after it was over.

Wyeast
06-14-2011, 12:00 AM
While I believe that cancer research is cancer research (i.e. regardless of the form) it feels like the whole breast cancer thing with SGK has marketed itself so aggressively, fueling both off of cancer awareness and feminist movements, that it has become a sort of "STFU" card, overshadowing so many other charitable causes. Like how dare we support anyone else if we're not pouring money into pink ribbons?

I mean I admire them for bringing their cause to the spotlight, but it's gotten to where it's trampling everyone else...

deebakes
06-14-2011, 02:52 AM
if anybody wants to donate to my cancer research program, i can guarantee $0 will go to administration...

But probably 100% will go to get mice to get cancer :oops: