PDA

View Full Version : Have you made any purchases using your smart phone?

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2016, 07:10 AM
The title's the question.

I've come close to using that particular functionality of my device, but I'm really not comfortable with the idea. What about y'all?

:-k

redred
02-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Yes eBay and Amazon, show tickets, flights, hotels, trips when abroad

Goofy
02-23-2016, 09:29 AM
I use amazon on my phone regularly

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2016, 11:42 AM
All the time. I regularly do banking on it as well.

RBP
02-23-2016, 02:42 PM
I think he means Apple pay, Samsung pay, etc where you put your phone near the credit card machine to pay.

If that's the question, then no, I have not.

fricnjay
02-23-2016, 03:24 PM
I do but i also use Avast phone protection. :tup:

Jezter
02-23-2016, 04:18 PM
I haven't, so voted no even tho I don't necessarily like the "...are you nuts? It's dangerously unsecure." part. Even if it still uses some tech that might not be the safest and best, it is constantly improving. And it is not like it can be hacked just willy nilly by anyone now either.

Muddy
02-23-2016, 04:31 PM
I haven't, so voted no even tho I don't necessarily like the "...are you nuts? It's dangerously unsecure." part. Even if it still uses some tech that might not be the safest and best, it is constantly improving. And it is not like it can be hacked just willy nilly by anyone now either.

So I read an article the other night about the new rip off scams. People walk near you with the mobile scanner and charge for for 15 or 20 dollar charges that dont need a signature... Just by walking by with their device in close proximity to you.. The biggest hits were the guys that carry their smart phones in their rear pocket..

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2016, 04:51 PM
I have used google wallet once, I had left my actual wallet at home and it was super easy to use. I wouldn't tie my ATM card to it, but with a normal credit card you are protected against fraud anyway so who gives a shit.

Noilly Pratt
02-23-2016, 04:55 PM
I prefer to use my computer as I am trained on it, and use it regularly. But I did use in on my trip to the UK 3 years ago and to book a hotel or two.

My phone is usually used for WhatsApping family, and playing a few games. I work at home so when I am mobile it is only on weekends.

Muddy
02-23-2016, 05:29 PM
I have used google wallet once, I had left my actual wallet at home and it was super easy to use. I wouldn't tie my ATM card to it, but with a normal credit card you are protected against fraud anyway so who gives a shit.

http://i.imgur.com/ClMPgwH.jpg

Jezter
02-23-2016, 05:32 PM
So I read an article the other night about the new rip off scams. People walk near you with the mobile scanner and charge for for 15 or 20 dollar charges that dont need a signature... Just by walking by with their device in close proximity to you.. The biggest hits were the guys that carry their smart phones in their rear pocket..

If that is the Facebook "news article" that spread, I'd take it with a hefty pinch of salt... I mean, you have to be really close to the person and really get in their personal space. Plus I think it was more about the wireless cards that we use over here too... I find it very hard to believe it would be true in either case it being mobile or card.

My wireless card wont be recognized even through my wallet. I have to take it out and hold it real close to the card machine.

Muddy
02-23-2016, 05:34 PM
If that is the Facebook "news article" that spread, I'd take it with a hefty pinch of salt... I mean, you have to be really close to the person and really get in their personal space. Plus I think it was more about the wireless cards that we use over here too... I find it very hard to believe it would be true in either case it being mobile or card.

http://i.imgur.com/GGAzMHH.jpg

Jezter
02-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Lovely. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2016, 05:57 PM

My wireless card wont be recognized even through my wallet. I have to take it out and hold it real close to the card machine.

Yeah, if the app isn't running and you haven't initiated a transaction on your phone, I'm not sure how someone could steal your information from your smart phone. I don't think your phone is just randomly broadcasting your credit/debit card information while it's on :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2016, 06:11 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

DemonGeminiX
02-24-2016, 12:15 AM
Yeah, if the app isn't running and you haven't initiated a transaction on your phone, I'm not sure how someone could steal your information from your smart phone. I don't think your phone is just randomly broadcasting your credit/debit card information while it's on :-k

I know with Android Pay it does. That's why they make you set up the locking mechanism on your phone to use it. Once you unlock the phone, you don't have to open the app, you could just unlock the phone and "swipe" it over one of those card readers to pay whatever transaction you're submitting payment for. The card you load as default on Android Pay's always running through the NFC.

DemonGeminiX
02-24-2016, 12:25 AM
I think he means Apple pay, Samsung pay, etc where you put your phone near the credit card machine to pay.

If that's the question, then no, I have not.

Either/or. I haven't purchased anything on a web store through my phone either. It doesn't make sense to me to do that when I have three computers in the house that I can do that with. The same thing with banking. My credit union has full support for mobile banking, but I have yet to see a need to use it. I can do it easily at home on one of my computers. There's no reason for me to rush to get banking done on the fly. I do have their app installed though. Just not set up.

I did have the pay apps in mind originally, but we can broaden the field to include the other.

RBP
02-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Mobile check deposit is awesome.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Mobile check deposit is awesome.

:agreed:

I use it all the time, but only for checks under $500 or else my bank puts a hold on any funds over $500 when you use the mobile deposit.

Jezter
02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
I sometimes pay some bills with my phone, cuz my bank's App can just scan the bar code and it fills the info automatically. Then I just have to approve it by inputing my security key that is an counter part to the one the App generates. Super fast, super easy.