PDA

View Full Version : Nokia and Apple settle patent dispute

redred
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Nokia and Apple have agreed a technology licensing agreement that ends the long-running legal dispute between the two firms.
"The agreement will result in settlement of all patent litigation between the companies," Nokia said.
Nokia sued Apple for patent infringements in 2009 and extended the action in December last year.
Apple had countersued, accusing Nokia of infringing its patents.
Nokia said Apple had agreed a one-off payment, the value of which was not disclosed, and ongoing royalties to use its technologies.
Apple said the deal covered both companies' patents.
Counter claims
"We are very pleased to have Apple join the growing number of Nokia licensees," said Nokia's chief executive Stephen Elop.
"This settlement demonstrates Nokia's industry-leading patent portfolio and enables us to focus on further licensing opportunities in the mobile communications market."
Apple said the two firms had agreed to "drop all of our current lawsuits and enter into a licence covering some of each other's patents, but not the majority of the innovations that make the iPhone unique".
"We're glad to put this behind us and get back to focusing on our respective businesses."
'Positive news'
Nokia's various claims against Apple included alleged patent infringements of touch interfaces, caller ID, display illumination, and 3G and wi-fi technology.
Apple had also claimed that Nokia had infringed many of its patents.
Both sides had always denied each other's claims.
"This is the first positive news from Nokia for a long time. They can both focus on their businesses now, and the dispute was settled to Nokia's advantage," said Mikael Rautanen at research group Inderes in Helsinki.
At the end of last month, Nokia said it expected sales and profit margins for the current quarter to be well below its previous forecasts.
The company has been struggling to reposition itself in the rapidly-growing smartphone sector, where it is trying to make up ground lost to competitors such as Apple's iPhone and phones using Google's Android

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13759612

Jezter
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
YAY! For once good and positive news about Nokia! Go Nokia! :D

AntZ
06-14-2011, 03:41 PM
The company has been struggling to reposition itself in the rapidly-growing smartphone sector, where it is trying to make up ground lost to competitors such as Apple's iPhone and phones using Google's Android

What's really amazing is how quickly a company can dominate a market, then within a couple years, they are fading from the scene! In the past, this would take decades to rise and fall, now it's years or even months.

Arkady Renko
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
the good thing is that all it takes to turn things around is one successful product. look at Nintendo with their wii console for instance, or Apple, for that matter.

redred
06-14-2011, 06:30 PM
i good point but don't nokia seem to be putting all there cards on the table with microsoft,which may or may not work for them as it does seem that the race is between apple and droid ,even the htc ms phones don't seem to be getting the sales they need

Acid Trip
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I had a Nokia way back when and the damn thing was near indestructible. Remember these?

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nostalgia_nokia_3310.png

Goofy
06-14-2011, 09:30 PM
i good point but don't nokia seem to be putting all there cards on the table with microsoft

If you're gonna side with any one company, always pick the biggest and best one ;)

I had a Nokia way back when and the damn thing was near indestructible. Remember these?

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nostalgia_nokia_3310.png

Think i still have one hidden in a drawer somewhere :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 09:39 PM
If you're gonna side with any one company, always pick the biggest and best one ;)

Problem is, nobody wants a Windows powered smartphone ;)

Android FTW :tup:

Goofy
06-14-2011, 09:50 PM

I dont want a smartphone period! :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM
You will :hand:

Muddy
06-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Get the iphone Goofy.. I used an HTC at lunch today and its a slow cumbersome turd...

Arkady Renko
06-17-2011, 09:45 AM
i good point but don't nokia seem to be putting all there cards on the table with microsoft,which may or may not work for them as it does seem that the race is between apple and droid ,even the htc ms phones don't seem to be getting the sales they need

the thing is that Nokia's hardware is still among the very finest so they probably thought that once coupled with a less unpopular OS than sybian they'd be able to sell a lot of their phones. Besides, their only other option was android and I doubt Google were willing to give them money to use it while Microsoft paid them quite a handsome sum for it.

I think for the common user android or iOS makes no difference, they do all the stuff you need them to and then some. I prefer android though because there are so much more free apps and you have a much wider selection of phones to pick from.

Get the iphone Goofy.. I used an HTC at lunch today and its a slow cumbersome turd...

Never tried any HTC jobs but the Samsung Galaxy 9000 and the Galaxy II are awesome, best phones money can buy in my opinion. Iphones are mostly made with Samsung components anyway, btw.