PDA

View Full Version : Obama: My family would be fine with just 1 term

AntZ
06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Obama: My family would be fine with just 1 term

June 14, 2011
AP

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama says his wife and daughters aren't "invested" in him being president and would have been fine had he decided against running for re-election. But he says they believe in what he's doing for the country.

Asked about his family's reaction to his wanting another term, Obama said: "Michelle and the kids are wonderful in that if I said, `You know, guys, I want to do something different,' They'd be fine. They're not invested in daddy being president or my husband being president."

He says first lady Michelle Obama would be the first one to encourage him to do something "a little less stressful" if she no longer thought that what they were doing was worthwhile for the country. Obama's interview aired Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show.

Now we all know he'll be just fine come election night, he can ride off into the sunset and we don't need to worry about him! :wave:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
What they really said is "sorry, but we cant vote for you again"

Muddy
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
I heard the guy speak this morning and he still sounds like his head is on straight to me..

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2011, 02:13 PM
He is good a talking, its doing thats tough for him :lol:

Muddy
06-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Only real issue I have with him is the Libya deal and the bail out deals.. Other than that he is no better or worse than any of those other criminals in Washington.

Acid Trip
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm okay with him being a one term president too. He and I finally agree on something.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Afghanistan/Iraq still not out of, now in Libya (so in essence expanded the war, or got involved in another)
Bail Outs
Health plan seems to be a joke.
gas prices are again out of hand

But, I cant say all these things wouldnt be the same with someone else in office.

RBP
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah but you don't go on TV and basically say that the jobs situation is not his fault and there's nothing he can do about it except focus on "the jobs of the future"

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
He is good a talking, its doing thats tough for him :lol:

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah but you don't go on TV and basically say that the jobs situation is not his fault and there's nothing he can do about it except focus on "the jobs of the future"

It isn't his fault, he inherited it, remember? ;)

Muddy
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Whose fault is it? I'd more so blame the upper crust of our society for outsourcing all of our manufacturing to protect their bottom lines.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Whose fault is it? I'd more so blame the upper crust of our society for outsourcing all of our manufacturing to protect their bottom lines.

Blame the Chinese then for manipulating their currency so that we aren't on any kind of the same playing field.

Muddy
06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Blame the Chinese then for manipulating their currency so that we aren't on any kind of the same playing field.

I blame our govt. for rewarding the rich with tax credits that assist them in the moving of jobs.

RBP
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM

That's tired leftist class warfare bullshit.

It's not my job to be a cheerleader for the economy. It's not my job to set the tone and environment where business can thrive and not be wary and uncertain.

But it is the President's job. Saying that the jobs are gone because of ATM's and airport kiosks and saying that the only thing he can do is focus on the future doesn't make me at all confident that we have a recovery coming. "what the fuck" is what came out of my mouth this morning.

Muddy
06-14-2011, 03:10 PM
That's tired leftist class warfare bullshit.

It's not my job to be a cheerleader for the economy. It's not my job to set the tone and environment where business can thrive and not be wary and uncertain.

But it is the President's job. Saying that the jobs are gone because of ATM's and airport kiosks and saying that the only thing he can do is focus on the future doesn't make me at all confident that we have a recovery coming. "what the fuck" is what came out of my mouth this morning.

That's pretty and all but you didn't answer the question... Who's fault is it then? Whats the problem?

RBP
06-14-2011, 03:15 PM
That's pretty and all but you didn't answer the question... Who's fault is it then? Whats the problem?

That's exactly my point. If the President isn't articulating the issues and solutions for NOW then we are all left wondering what the fuck is going on.

I don't know how to solve it - not my job.

Muddy
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
That's exactly my point. If the President isn't articulating the issues and solutions for NOW then we are all left wondering what the fuck is going on.

I don't know how to solve it - not my job.

So why bash Obama? The Repubs arent going to do ANY better... They are just going to provide lip service to whatever the media hot button is that day and when they get into office try and get their share of the last few drops of blood from the stone they're squeezing.. It's/they are all BS...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
So why bash Obama? The Repubs arent going to do ANY better... They are just going to provide lip service to whatever the media hot button is that day and when they get into office try and get their share of the last few drops of blood from the stone they're squeezing.. It's/they are all BS...

Do you even remember any of Obama's campaign promises? :-s

Let's just take one....how about the fact that he said he was going to slash the deficit in half in his first term as President. How's that one working out? :-k

And you can't blame republicans because for the first 2 full years Obama and the democrats had control of all three houses of government at the Federal level.

Muddy
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Do you even remember any of Obama's campaign promises? :-s

Let's just take one....how about the fact that he said he was going to slash the deficit in half in his first term as President. How's that one working out? :-k

And you can't blame republicans because for the first 2 full years Obama and the democrats had control of all three houses of government at the Federal level.

Doesn't matter.. They all make promises.. It's called lip service... Do you think the Republican contender is going to be shooting straight?

Acid Trip
06-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Doesn't matter.. They all make promises.. It's called lip service... Do you think the Republican contender is going to be shooting straight?

The politicians have won and you are proof. You think it's okay that they lied to you because they all break their promises and that is very sad. Politicians should be far more accountable than they are.

Now, who's fault is all of this?

The problems falls square on our politicians. Neither side is without fault. I would point to Free Trade agreements as the catalyst. Free trade agreements allowed companies to move overseas (think manufacturing) without any penalty. If it's not made here you should pay an import tax, plain and simple. That is how we protected American jobs from other countries who pay pennies on the hour. Clinton had a big role in expanding NAFTA.

The repeal of Glass-Steagall was a huge mistake too. Both parties had a hand in that. It was repealed by a Republican legislature and signed by a Democrat president.

And then it's our fault for electing politicians who have no real world experience. They are lawyers and academics who don't know the first thing about running a business. The POTUS is the CEO of the largest "company" (economy) and he has never run anything. One Big Ass Mistake America (OBAMA)

Loser
06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Whose fault is it?

NAFTA, CAFTA, and pretty much all other free trade agreements.

Muddy
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
The politicians have won and you are proof. You think it's okay that they lied to you because they all break their promises and that is very sad. Politicians should be far more accountable than they are.

Oh, I don't think it's OK... I also don't think it's a specific to Democrats trait either..

AntZ
06-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Doesn't matter.. They all make promises.. It's called lip service...

1.9 Million Fewer Americans Have Jobs Today Than When Obama Signed Stimulus

Tuesday, June 14, 2011
By Matt Cover

(CNSNews.com) – Twenty-eight months after Congress passed President Obama’s signature economic stimulus law, and nearly one year after he declared the summer of 2010 to be “Recovery Summer,” 1.9 million fewer people are employed.

In February 2009, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that 141.7 million people were employed. By the end of May 2011 – the last month for which data are available – that number had fallen to 139.8 million, a difference of 1.9 million.

While the number of people with jobs has increased slightly from its low point during the recession – 137.9 million in December 2009 – those 1.9 million jobs have been lost despite $800 billion in stimulus spending.

This does not mean that the economy is not creating jobs, but rather that it is not creating jobs fast enough to keep up with a combination of layoffs and people entering the job market for the first time.

In a Washington Post op-ed [1], former White House chief economist Larry Summers noted that the percentage of the population that has a job has not improved, even though the economy is technically in recovery.

“From the first quarter of 2006 to the first quarter of 2011, the U.S. economy’s growth rate averaged less than 1 percent a year,” Summers wrote. “The fraction of the population working remains almost exactly at its recession trough, and recent reports suggest that growth is slowing.”

The fraction of the population with a job has in fact fallen in the 28 months since Congress passed the stimulus – down from 60.3 percent in February 2009 to 58.4 percent in May 2011.

The economy cannot create jobs fast enough to keep pace with layoffs and recent high school and college graduates seeking employment. If the trend continues, as Summers notes may happen, the economy will suffer further in the future as college graduates delay entry into the labor force, reducing their lifetime productivity.

“Beyond the lack of jobs and incomes, an economy producing below its potential for a prolonged interval sacrifices its future,” argued Summers. “Huge numbers of new college graduates are moving back in with their parents this month because they have no job or means of support.”

As both Summers and the BLS data make clear, the economy is not creating new jobs fast enough to make up for layoffs and new graduates, calling into question Obama’s oft-repeated claim that the economy is recovering and creating jobs.

In fact, by citing figures from the first quarter of 2006, Summers is understating the economy’s poor performance. According to BLS data, the number of people with jobs peaked at 146.6 million in November 2007, meaning that over the entire recession – which officially began in December 2007 – the number of people employed has fallen by 6.8 million.

pepo
06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
can he agree to be a 3/4 term presdent?

Muddy
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM
1.9 Million Fewer Americans Have Jobs Today Than When Obama Signed Stimulus

2012, the year your Republican buddies bring back the jobs ! :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
can he agree to be a 3/4 term presdent?

Bw3hahahahaha

Muddy
06-14-2011, 07:06 PM
What are you laughing at Porky.. You got us into this mess.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
My vote would have made no difference either way.
1. I live in CA and
2. the electoral college has made sure no one persons vote "really" counts.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
My vote would have made no difference either way.
1. I live in CA and
2. the electoral college has made sure no one persons vote "really" counts.

The electoral collage sure does seem to give the inside track to democrats....California has 47 and New York has 36. You have to be a pretty horrible democrat to lose both those states in an election.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2011, 07:16 PM
The country has developed enough, we should be able to get rid of that system, and go with the majority. I really never understood the reason for it anyway. Let everyone vote, but then throw all of that out and let this small group make the final decision, and if they decide they aren't on board with the majority vote, then go ahead and pick whoever the fuck you want :roll:

Acid Trip
06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
The electoral collage sure does seem to give the inside track to democrats....California has 47 and New York has 36. You have to be a pretty horrible democrat to lose both those states in an election.

New York and California are perfect examples of Liberalism gone wild. Incredibly high taxes and yet they still have massive amounts of debt at the state level. Democrats can never tax and spend enough just like Republicans never saw a tax cut they didn't like.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Oops, sorry, that was outdated, it's 55 and 31 for California and New York

http://i.imgur.com/LQldK.png

Hal-9000
06-14-2011, 08:30 PM
soooo, rednecks in red and hippies in blue?

I'm learning, I'm learning! be nice :lol: