PDA

View Full Version : Uber driver accused of planting vomit inside vehicle to falsely accuse rider of barfing, then charging $200 cleaning fee

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2016, 12:10 PM
BY Ginger Adams Otis - New York Daily News

http://i.imgur.com/sRA9ZKg.jpg

A frequent user of the ride-share service Uber says she’s swearing off the company because a driver up-charged her by claiming she up-chucked in his car.

Meredith Mandel, who works as an art director in Manhattan, said an Uber driver planted yellow vomit along the dashboard and floor mats of his car and falsely claimed it was from her — all so he could soak her for a $200 cleaning fee.

The extra charge appeared on her Uber account the morning after Mandel, her boyfriend and another friend left a Fort Greene restaurant Feb. 21, she told Gothamist.

The trio used Uber to get home to their respective apartments in Williamsburg — but none of them got sick in the vehicle, Mandel told the website.

The $200 fee was tacked on to the $19 charge for the ride, she said.

Mandel contacted customer service multiple times, Gothamist said.

The Uber reps told her various variations of the same story: the driver had told them she and her friends were drunk, and Mandel threw up inside the car.

The driver even provided pictures of violent yellow barf splashed across his dashboard.

Uber said the cleaning fee goes “100% to your driver,” Mandel told Gothamist.

That’s when she realized her driver has set up a sick scam — forcing clients to pay cleaning fees for fake vomit.

"I was infuriated," she told Gothamist. "At first I was trying to actually give them the benefit of a doubt, but I realized [IT] because all of the money goes to the drivers."

Mandel also noticed a few oddities in the pictures from the driver.

She claimed she and her friends sat in the backseat, but the pictures show yellow bile dripping across the front dashboard.

Her suspicions were also raised by the fact that the liquid seemed only to land on the car’s hard plastic surfaces — the ones easiest to wipe off.

She also found the color of the alleged vomit off-putting.

“[It] is super yellow, and we ate really dark food, like meat," she told Gothamist. "It just doesn't line up."

Even though an Uber rep eventually told her she would get a refund in a few days, Mandel said she’s through with the ride-sharing service.

“I just don't feel comfortable anymore,” she told Gothamist.

RBP
03-04-2016, 12:18 PM
:puke:

redred
03-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Screw you uber

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Screw you uber

Yup, with all these bad stories almost on a daily basis about them, if I needed a ride somewhere and none of my friends could take me, I'd call a cab or take the bus.

redred
03-04-2016, 01:02 PM
To be fair stories happen from normal cabs, but it's seems that because uber has access to card details this is the problem and a small amount are ruining it for others

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2016, 01:09 PM
But at least cabs are regulated by the cities that they operate in.

redred
03-04-2016, 01:13 PM
True and one of the reasons I pick them over uber

RBP
03-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Rideshare is regulated in Chicago and most other major cities, just different rules.

Muddy
03-04-2016, 06:37 PM
I wouldnt take too many of these stories serious..