PDA

View Full Version : Law student who graduated top of her class sues former school after failing to find long-term employment within TEN YEARS

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2016, 12:36 PM
By Valerie Edwards For Dailymail.com

http://i.imgur.com/iFTj0fT.jpg

A former law student, who graduated at the top of her class, is suing her former school, as she has yet to find a full-time salaried job as a lawyer.

It's been nearly a decade since Anna Alaburda, graduated from the Thomas Jefferson School of Law at the top of her class.

After she graduated, she went on to pass the state bar exam and set out to use the law degree that cost her about $150,000, according to The New York Times.

And like many other law students, Alaburda has yet to pin down a full-time job as a lawyer.

But unlike several students who've tried to sue their respective schools for damages, Alaburda is the first former law student whose case against a law school, will go to trial.

Her case states that the law school inflated the employment data for its graduates as a way to get students to enroll, according to The Times.

Her lawyer, Brian Procel, told The Times that this will be the first time a 'law school will be on trial to defend its public employment figures'.

Alaburda, who has debt of about $170,000, has worked in various part-time positions, mostly temporary jobs reviewing documents for law firms.

She filed the lawsuit in 2011, arguing that she would not have enrolled at Thomas Jefferson if she had known the law school's statistics were misleading, according to The Times.

Despite efforts by the school to get Alaburda's case thrown out, San Diego, Judge Joel Pressman ruled against the law school.

According to the Times, Dean Thomas Guernsey said in a statement that the school has 'a strong track record of producing successful graduates, with 7,000 alumni working nationally and internationally'.

Alaburda was offered a job after she graduated with a law firm that was willing to give her a $60,000 salary, but she turned it down.

She said that she received only the one job offer, that was less favorable than non-law-related jobs that were available, even after she sent her resume to more than 150 law firms.

Alaburda is asking for $125,000 in damages.

Pony
03-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Alaburda was offered a job after she graduated with a law firm that was willing to give her a $60,000 salary, but she turned it down.

:banghead:

redred
03-09-2016, 12:48 PM
^ case lost right there

Goofy
03-09-2016, 01:37 PM
So she turned down a 60k starting salary? Fuckin entitled clown

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2016, 02:14 PM
She's too good for that :nono:

Noilly Pratt
03-09-2016, 04:02 PM
I graduated with a diploma in Computer Information Systems which should have meant that I could land high paying jobs according to the Ra Ra Ra that the college was touting to us.

Reality was, I started out as a data entry clerk - something I could do without my piece of paper. I came to that conclusion after about 3 months of "No, you need experience", all the while working 2 janitor jobs for Dr's offices. Eventually paid my dues in 2 6-month-lasting jobs (phone tech support, installer for a retail store), and a volunteer position. All those positions were "beneath" me (but the experience gained was crucial). I then got my career position.

$60K to start?! I would have leapt for joy.

deebakes
03-10-2016, 02:26 AM
is that megan trainor? :-k

Hugh_Janus
03-10-2016, 08:50 PM
how is it the school's fault? :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
03-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Why doesn't she just open her own firm

RBP
03-11-2016, 06:59 AM
Why doesn't she just open her own firm

Victim, LLC "We whine, you win"

Godfather
03-12-2016, 02:59 AM
"Alaburda was offered a job after she graduated with a law firm that was willing to give her a $60,000 salary, but she turned it down."

How did she not know that this was completely normal? You have to article for a year or two after law school. You get paid a normal salary (ie. $60k) but have to work at least 12-16 hours days, 6-7 days a week in a hole at the back of the office... but by the time you're called to the bar, you jump up to a corner office and a nice fat salary. By the time you're a 3rd or 4th year lawyer at a big firm in a major city, you're easily making $150,000-$200,000k. This is coming from friends of mine who work at Blakes and other big firms.

Someone forgot to tell this entitled little shit that you have to pay your dues before making the big bucks.

I hope the Judge in her case is from her Alma Mater and laughs her out of the courtroom. That would be glorious.