PDA

View Full Version : 'Hot Migrants' Instagram Page Offends, Entertains

Teh One Who Knocks
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/iNsjlAE.jpg

"Hot Migrants" is a controversial new Instagram page that features pictures of attractive male migrants who are fleeing Syria and Afghanistan.

The page states, "Handsome men on their journey to Europe. Their countries might be falling apart but their sex appeal still goes strong."

The creator of the controversial Instagram account has thus far remained anonymous, but is described as "a 20-something living in Washington D.C." by The Cut.

The creator told the The Cut: "I created this account after watching a video from the refugees and migrants who were stuck behind the border fence in Idomeni.

"One of the people who was pleading for the borders to open caught my eye and I found myself recounting how many other times I pondered about some of these people's fates."

"I got distracted by some of the good-looking men in the process. It's a bit surreal to 'objectify' people who are fleeing war and broken countries ... It is hard to overlook these people if you aren't seeing them through their trek in Europe and it's easy to dismiss them because the reality is far removed from you."

"These photos bring the realities a bit closer. There is something to be said about finding comedy in such a tragedy. It helps to cope with the situation."

However, the good intentions didn't stop ThinkProgress from blaring a headline that read: "This ‘Hot Migrants’ Instagram Account Exists And It’s As Bad As It Sounds."

The progressive site wrote: "The 'Hot Migrants' creator may have intended to draw attention to particular refugees, but this type of vague activism does nothing to reflect the refugee crisis at large."

"And websites like these diminish the reality that hundreds of thousands of refugees are going through to survive to an issue of genetic fortitude. Many refugees sell off their homes and livelihoods to make it to Europe on a dream of starting over and ensuring that their children won’t be carpet-bombed into oblivion."

deebakes
03-12-2016, 02:47 PM
:facepalm: