PDA

View Full Version : Chicago raises smoking age to 21, bans chew at baseball games, and lowers the tampon tax.

RBP
03-16-2016, 11:23 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-chicago-city-council-tobacco-tax-smoking-age-met-0317-20160317-story.html

Import work being done in Chicago. Do you think they understand that the small cigar sales are not because people like small cigars?

=============================================

People buying certain tobacco products or paying for a cab ride with a credit card in Chicago will have to dig a bit deeper after the City Council on Wednesday voted to increase taxes and fees.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel also persuaded the council to raise the legal age to buy cigarettes or other tobacco products in the city to 21 by tweaking the proposal on higher taxes on chewing tobacco, cigars and loose tobacco.

The ordinance still drew 10 no votes, several from aldermen whose wards are close to the suburbs or Indiana who have complained their convenience stores and gas stations will be driven out of business when people leave the city to make purchases.

But the mayor got 35 aldermen to back the plan, and called its passage a victory in the fight against youth smoking. The final version made changes to the tax increases after a handful of aldermen used a parliamentary procedure to block a vote on the legislation last month.

The main change is an increase in the tax on small cigars to 20 cents per cigar from the 15 cents per cigar originally proposed by Emanuel. At the same time, the per-ounce tax increase on roll-your-own tobacco was decreased from $6.60 in the original version to $1.80 in the one that passed.

ecause small cigars, typically sold in 20-packs that will see a $4 increase to $9.79 under the ordinance, are much more popular than rolling tobacco, the Emanuel administration estimates the ordinance passed Wednesday will raise about $6 million annually, the same amount as predicted under the earlier version.

The ordinance still could face a legal challenge, as state law does not give municipalities the right to enact their own taxes on chewing tobacco and the Illinois Retail Merchants Association has argued Emanuel's move is illegal.

The City Council also voted to hit taxi passengers who pay their fares using credit cards with a 50-cent fee to help defray the costs the card companies charge cab companies for processing the transactions. The new charge comes on top of the 15 percent taxi fare increase Emanuel included in his 2016 budget.

The move comes amid an ongoing fight over regulations governing the taxi and ride-sharing industries. With a large group of people in the council gallery wearing T-shirts advertising ride-share giant Uber, Ald. Anthony Beale, 9th, followed through on a pledge to introduce a plan Wednesday to require ride-share drivers to earn chauffeurs licenses like cabbies and pay any outstanding debt to the city before they are allowed to drive.

Cabbies have been arguing for years that the city is driving them out of business by allowing ride-share drivers to avoid many of the rules and regulations faced by the taxi industry. The chauffeurs license is a time-consuming, costly hoop to jump through that would presumably deter many would-be ride-share drivers.

But speaking to reporters after the meeting, Emanuel took a dim view of Beale's plan. "My view, it's not about the industry," he said. "My view is, what are the commuters and consumers looking for? And they're looking for choice."

Beale said he believes he has enough council support to pass his ordinance over Emanuel's objection, but aldermanic backing often evaporates when the mayor's office starts making its displeasure known.

Ald. Ed Burke's ban on chewing tobacco at baseball games and other professional and amateur sporting events also was approved Wednesday. No word on how exactly that will be enforced if pro ballplayers flout the law at Wrigley Field or U.S. Cellular Field.

Also approved Wednesday was a measure to exempt tampons and sanitary pads from Chicago's portion of the sales tax. Supporters said it was a way to help correct what they said is an unfairness to women who need to buy the products. The items are currently taxed at 10.25 percent like many other products bought in Chicago. The city's share of the sales tax is 1.25 percent, and that's the portion that will be removed.

DemonGeminiX
03-16-2016, 11:56 PM
How do these people get elected?

RBP
03-17-2016, 12:02 AM
I have no idea. Connections I assume.

deebakes
03-17-2016, 01:34 AM
How do these people get elected?

:bwaha: you think officials get elected in illinois? :rofl:

RBP
03-17-2016, 01:51 AM
Good point. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-17-2016, 03:43 AM
:bwaha: you think officials get elected in illinois? :rofl:

That bad? Had no idea.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-17-2016, 03:52 PM
:lol:

Muddy
03-17-2016, 03:53 PM
In lawless society, Chicago leads the forefront in adding new ones.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
CA is getting ready to pass the smoking age to 21. I'm all for encouraging not smoking, but if you are going to call someone an adult at 18 and send them to war or life in prison for a crime, then they should be able to smoke and drink. Otherwise raise the age of an adult to 21

RBP
03-17-2016, 06:32 PM
CA is getting ready to pass the smoking age to 21. I'm all for encouraging not smoking, but if you are going to call someone an adult at 18 and send them to war or life in prison for a crime, then they should be able to smoke and drink. Otherwise raise the age of an adult to 21

And creating an even bigger black market. Guys in poor Chicago areas sell "blue squares" (menthols) by the cigarette. I promise you those are not coming from Chicago retailers.

redred
03-17-2016, 06:34 PM
do you guys still chew tobacco :lol: thought that was only in wild west films

RBP
03-17-2016, 06:39 PM
do you guys still chew tobacco :lol: thought that was only in wild west films

I want to see what happens when the players say 'fuck you, fine me".

And yes, chew and snuff are still big business here. I doubt the southern ball parks will follow suit any time soon.

DemonGeminiX
03-17-2016, 06:47 PM
I doubt the southern ball parks will follow suit any time soon.

:lol:

The south rarely, if ever, follows suit on anything the north does.