PDA

View Full Version : Ramsey Orta, man who filmed viral video of Eric Garner's death, charged for allegedly interfering with another arrest

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2016, 11:49 AM
BY Dale W. Eisinger, Graham Rayman - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/nkNthPM.jpg

Ramsey Orta — the man who recorded the infamous cellphone video in the Eric Garner chokehold case — has been arrested again, officials said Thursday.

Orta, 24, was videotaping cops making an arrest Wednesday evening on the Lower East Side when, police say, he got too close with his camera.

The drama began when cops stopped a car at E. Houston St. and Baruch Drive about 5:25 p.m. for having defective brake lights, police said.

The driver, Anthony Sainphor, 25, became agitated and was arrested for carrying a fake Delaware non-driver’s ID card.

As Sainphor was being handcuffed, Orta walked up and began videotaping close to the officers, police said.

When the cops asked him to step back, Orta walked toward the driver and handed him a business card, according to police.

Cops arrested Orta and took him and Sainphor to the 7th Precinct stationhouse. Orta was given a summons for obstructing governmental administration and was released, officials said.

“There was no reason for him to go through the system and we’re glad the police saw reason in releasing him,” said William Aronin, one of Orta’s lawyers.

Kenneth Perry, another Orta lawyer, added, “There does seem to be some sort of concerted activity that raises questions in our mind as to whether police have been targeted watchdogs.”

A police source familiar with the incident said cops only arrest someone filming them if they interfere with an arrest or other police operation.

“Every time he gets arrested, his lawyers come back and say we are targeting him,” the source said.

“I wouldn’t know Orta if I bumped into him in a parking lot and neither did these officers. He’s not being targeted. He’s being arrested for breaking the law.”

“If you interfere with a police operation you are subject to arrest,” the source added. “This guy pushed the envelope.”

Sainphor, who lives in Brooklyn, was charged with possession of a forged instrument.

Orta has five open criminal cases. Most recently, he was busted Feb. 19 for allegedly choking his wife Jessica and menacing her with a knife in their apartment.

He was also charged with threatening her two weeks earlier.

Last July, he was arrested for allegedly selling fake ecstasy to an undercover police officer and charged with petit larceny and selling an imitation controlled substance.

Orta also has pending drug and weapons possession cases on Staten Island.

Garner died July 17, 2014 in police custody, while in a chokehold, saying “I can’t breathe” over and over.

Orta’s video of Garner as he died went viral, fueled the anti-police brutality movement and turned “I can’t breathe” into a cultural phenomenon.

A Staten Island grand jury declined to indict Officer Daniel Pantaleo in Garner’s death.

Federal prosecutors are still investigating whether to open a civil rights case against Pantaleo.