PDA

View Full Version : Texas elementary school principal on trial for allegedly trying to meet 16-year-old for sex at mall

Teh One Who Knocks
03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
By Joshua Fechter - mySA.com

http://i.imgur.com/j4RwUYU.jpg

A former principal at a North Texas elementary school is on trial this week for allegedly trying to meet someone he thought was a 16-year-old boy for sex at a mall.

The "teenager" turned out to be a police detective.

Oscar Figueroa, former principal at Viridian Elementary School in Arlington, pleaded not guilty to a federal charge of coercion or enticement of a minor in July, according to court records.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that Frisco police arrested Figueroa, 47, on July 7 at Stonebriar Centre mall in Frisco.

An undercover officer had responded to a Craigslist ad placed by Figueroa, who called himself a "daddy" who wanted to have sex with a "son," the newspaper reported.

According to the Star-Telegram, Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Jason Mitchell testified at a July hearing that federal agents found images of young males in states of nudity on Figueroa's cellphone after his arrest.

Figueroa has disputed law enforcement officials' account that he knew he was communicating with a 16-year-old.

Jurors in a federal court on Monday saw the text message conversation between Figueroa and Frisco Police Detective Wade Hornsby, during which Figueroa asked Hornsby his age, according to The Dallas Morning News.

Hornsby's reply? 16 years old.

But, according to The Dallas Morning News, Figueroa told the detective that he didn't really read the text messages carefully and said, "The First time I found that he said that he was a minor was when I got arrested."

When questioned by Figueroa's attorney Bruce Anton, Hornsby testified that he had only mentioned that he was supposedly 16 once during his conversation with Figueroa, according to the newspaper.

Hornsby and Anton disagreed on what age range Figueroa sought when looking for a younger companion: the detective said he believed Figueroa meant 16-year-olds or younger, while Anton said Figueroa, 47, could have been seeking someone in his 20s.

Figueroa could be sentenced to a minimum 10-year prison sentence if convicted.