PDA

View Full Version : The Ford Mustang Was Germany's Best Selling Sports Car Last Month

Teh One Who Knocks
04-13-2016, 11:41 AM
David Tracy - Jalopnik

http://i.imgur.com/ts9lc8t.png

The sixth-gen model was the first Mustang designed to compete in the European market. After five decades of forbidden fruit, the Europeans finally get their American freedom-machine, and boy are they liking it. Especially Germany, where the pony out-sold all other sports cars last month.

Germany’s Federal Motor Transport Authority issued a new report showing the country’s automotive sales figures for the first few months of 2016. The report, whose title translates to “New Passenger Car Registration By Segment And Model In March 2016,” shows that ze Germans are loving the classic American pony car.

The report shows that in the “Sportwagen,” or sports-car class, Ford sold 780 Mustangs last month, compared to the Audi TT’s 708, Porsche 911's 752, Mercedes SLC’s 364 and the Camaro’s measly 18.

To be sure, the Mustang, which starts at 38,000 Euro, is quite a bit cheaper than the Porsche 911, but it is in the same ballpark as the other three mentioned above.

The Audi TT is still wining in sales for the first three months of 2016 combined, but Dearborn’s pride-and-joy is hot on its tail.

Why? I’m sure it has to do with the romanticized history of the Mustang. But I think it has more to do with a little something we here in America like to call “horsepower.”

According to WFMZ News, Ford says their best selling model in Germany is the 435-horsepower GT, which starts at 43,000 Euro. That’s not exactly cheap, costing quite a bit more than the SLC and TT. But when you consider the power figure, that’s a downright bargain compared to others cars in the class.

So basically what I’m saying is: Germans like cheap horsepower. Just like the rest of us.

deebakes
04-13-2016, 11:48 AM
:usa:

Hugh_Janus
04-14-2016, 07:36 PM
nothing to get too hyped up about, lamborghinis and ferraris are in the same "class" as the mustang :lol:

fricnjay
04-14-2016, 07:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5lDczli.jpg

Muddy
04-14-2016, 08:05 PM
I dont care for the newer American hot rods.. I just am not convinced they are substantive..

fricnjay
04-14-2016, 08:21 PM
https://www.facebook.com/revista.automovil.panamericano/videos/1170271682991607/

fricnjay
04-14-2016, 08:21 PM
1170271682991607/

KevinD
04-15-2016, 02:10 AM
I dont care for the newer American hot rods.. I just am not convinced they are substantive..

Come on down here..I'll take you for a ride in my camaro, 1st gear 45ish, 2nd, 70 ish, 3rd, 100ish, 4th 155mph. Haven't timed 0-155 yet, but 108 comes in 12.8 seconds. This is in a "slow" road race prepped stock car. Substansive??? Last one I had ( the 99 Z28) I sold with 280,000 miles hundreds of 1/4 mile passes, nitrous, top speed runs etc... motor didn't smoke, oem Trans and rear still working fine..

KevinD
04-15-2016, 02:15 AM
IMHO, Europeans don't know what to do with low rpm torque, thus the favoritism with Mustangs. TBH, the new Stang is a hell of a car, light years above what it was (with the irs and finally more than 400hp) and the GT350R is :drool: but like the outgoing Z28, way out of my price range. I'd put my bone stock 2015 up against ANY Euro car in the same price rage, and smile all the way to the finish line. Yes, it's that good.

Muddy
04-15-2016, 02:57 AM
Come on down here..I'll take you for a ride in my camaro, 1st gear 45ish, 2nd, 70 ish, 3rd, 100ish, 4th 155mph. Haven't timed 0-155 yet, but 108 comes in 12.8 seconds. This is in a "slow" road race prepped stock car. Substansive??? Last one I had ( the 99 Z28) I sold with 280,000 miles hundreds of 1/4 mile passes, nitrous, top speed runs etc... motor didn't smoke, oem Trans and rear still working fine..

I hear you and I hear the good stories from time to time.. I also see poor people I work with that have had camshafts break in two at 50k miles and watched Chevrolet turn their back on them.. we'll that's just this one guys deal at work, but his case can't be an anomaly.. I want to believe in American muscle.. I just don't trust them.. Things are so corporate now in this country that I think these businesses care more about their bottom lines than they do the longevity of their products.. there are countries and people out there that honor still trumps their bottom line.. that's where I have to spend my money.

KevinD
04-15-2016, 03:36 AM
Al Oppenheimer, GM chief eng, etc, has said openly about the Camaros " if it's stock, and you break it on the track, we'll fix it under warranty" Not sure any other manufacturer would say that.
Do I know guys who have broke their Camaros, Mustangs, etc? Sure do, lots of them, but, and it's a big but, NONE of them were stock. Am I a Camaro fan boi? Lol, guilty. Honestly, the quality of the American muscle cars are tops in the world, not opinion, fact. I could point you ito many articles backing that up. Are European sports cars more luxurious? Oh yeah, they are, no doubt. But the days where the euro snobs could downplay the ability of American sports cars handling are over, period. My 1Le, bone stock will pull 1.08g, and out handle anything else in its price range. If I left it stock, I have zero doubt it would last at least as long as my 99 Z28 (I know the current owner btw, and it's still going strong)
Muddy, not trying to be a richard, but just tired of the trash talk about American muscle cars, lol not you specifically, just caught me at a bad time...lol

Honest question, what can you buy for 30k euro that can give the 1Le a good run?