PDA

View Full Version : The Boxing Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

redred
09-11-2015, 03:47 PM
yes think so 49 th and last , till the big $$$$ really really realy last fight is on offer

Goofy
09-11-2015, 04:39 PM
yes think so 49 th and last , till the big $$$$ really really realy last fight is on offer

There's nobody out there who would help him pull in the big bucks now, i read a piece in the paper the other day saying that they were struggling to get the MGM filled for this fight. Brook or Amir Khan at Wembley might be an option but i've a feeling Floyd would duck both of them......... Floyd's definitely getting slower now so Khan's speed and workrate would probably trouble him......... Brook isn't quite as quick as Khan but he's got a better chin and a bigger punch.

RBP
09-11-2015, 05:30 PM
There's nobody out there who would help him pull in the big bucks now, i read a piece in the paper the other day saying that they were struggling to get the MGM filled for this fight. Brook or Amir Khan at Wembley might be an option but i've a feeling Floyd would duck both of them......... Floyd's definitely getting slower now so Khan's speed and workrate would probably trouble him......... Brook isn't quite as quick as Khan but he's got a better chin and a bigger punch.
What happened to a GGG fight?

Goofy
09-11-2015, 07:28 PM
What happened to a GGG fight?

Not a chance that would ever happen :lol: Golovkin's probably my favourite boxer atm, he's a wrecking machine that can take a punch! Floyd would have to move up in weight for that fight, far too dangerous for Pussy Boy :lol:

RBP
09-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Floyd Mayweather moves to a perfect 49-0.

Official Scorecards: 117-111, 118-110, 120-108

RBP
09-13-2015, 04:36 AM
Not a chance that would ever happen :lol: Golovkin's probably my favourite boxer atm, he's a wrecking machine that can take a punch! Floyd would have to move up in weight for that fight, far too dangerous for Pussy Boy :lol:

I asked because GGG called him out and said he would move down to 154 to fight Mayweather.

Right now this is the biggest fight in the world. He's a great champion. Look at me, I'm not big, I'm not fat. My couple of last fights - I was 158, 159. It's possible for me (to go down to fight him). I would go to 154 just for Floyd. I understand that this is biggest fight in the world. This would show who is who, the best fighter in the world. - GGG

redred
09-23-2015, 03:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxyD1lJqSg

i can't wait for this fight :lol: fury has lost the plot but still funny

redred
09-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Wladimir Klitschko v Tyson Fury: Champion pulls out of bout

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/34359581

ffs :roll:

Goofy
11-25-2015, 01:30 PM
I think i'm gonna pay for the Fury/Klit fight this saturday, truth be told i'm not sure who i want to win :-k It's high time Wlad was taken off his perch but Fury's a bit of a tool tbh whereas Wlad's a well-spoken, intelligent, down to earth, thoroughly decent human being. First time in a while that Wlad's fought someone who's taller and got a longer reach so that alone makes it interesting :)

Also, i see David Haye is making a comeback (again), if he can stay free of injury that would be good for boxing, he's generally good to watch (except for the Wlad and BFG fights).

Goofy
12-13-2015, 12:45 AM
What a night of boxing, best fight card in years! :cheers: Every fight was intriguing (maybe bar the Chisora one). Malignaggi's still a great technician, 12 enjoyable rounds from him, the Chisora fight was maybe a bit boring but considering both fighters were only added to the bill this week (and Chisora fought last saturday :lol: ), a 3rd round KO was still decent :tup: Next up was Bellew and he's always good to watch, not the greatest technically but a massive heart, 11 quality rounds followed by a barnstormer of a 12th! (Bellew won UD). Luke Campbell lost :shock: Fair play to the guy that beat him, shook him a few times and dropped him in the early rounds, won a MD. Next up was Kev Mitchell, poor bugger got wiped out by a solid jab (walked onto it) in the 5th i think :lol: Got up from it but the legs were gone and his opponent hit him with a massive flurry until the ref stopped it. Eubank jnr...... damn that was awesome :lol: He's so much like his dad ffs :lol: Awesome combos and got tagged a number of times himself, pretty brutal tbh! O'Sullivan's corner pulled him out after the 7th or 8th (definitely the right decision, too brave for his own good).

Then came the grand finale, the best HW fight i've seen in years! 1st 2 rounds were fucking awesome, Whyte got hit by the fucking kitchen sink in the 1st, no fucking idea how he stayed on his feet! Joshua caught him with a punch just after the bell so Whyte's throwing punches while the ref pulls them apart, then he pushes the ref ffs, all hell broke loose and about 20 folk jumped into the ring :lol: Thought there was gonna be a DQ but the ref just had a stern word with them before the 2nd. Then in the 2nd Whyte fucking rocked Anthony Joshua! :shock: He was in trouble for a bit, legs definitely weakened! Got through it though then started actually boxing instead of the gung-ho stuff he was doing beforehand :lol: Think he eventually got him out in the 7th, caught him with a right hook on the temple and Whyte did the old rubber legs dance :lol: Fuckin still stayed on his feet though but a barrage of hooks had him close then a sweet sweet uppercut put him down and out!

Stick your MMA right up your arse!!!!!! :cheers:

Goofy
12-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Actually, that Irish tosspot's fighting in the UFC tonight......... might watch it on Kodi and hope/pray he gets his arse handed to him since he's a cunt :ok:

Goofy
12-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Actually.......Fuck that, 3am start time over here, im not that interested :lol:

Goofy
12-13-2015, 12:53 AM
Roy Jones Jnr was "fighting" tonight in Russia :roll: What a sad story that's starting to become. Was one of the greatest boxers i've ever seen.......... and he's still fighting at 46 years old and getting KO'd by Enzo "glass chin" Macarinelli :| Should have retired many years ago with pride Roy :(

DemonGeminiX
12-13-2015, 02:13 AM
That Whyte-Joshua fight's up on youtube. Don't know how long they'll keep it up for, but it's there now.

Goofy
12-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Actually, that Irish tosspot's fighting in the UFC tonight......... might watch it on Kodi and hope/pray he gets his arse handed to him since he's a cunt :ok:

Aldo ko'd in 13 seconds :lol:

Goofy
12-13-2015, 10:11 AM
That Whyte-Joshua fight's up on youtube. Don't know how long they'll keep it up for, but it's there now.

You watch it?

Hugh_Janus
12-13-2015, 10:43 AM
better than klit fury :lol:

Hugh_Janus
12-13-2015, 10:44 AM
https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=-3QqaDIgQhw

if I embed the vid, the freeze shot is a spoiler.... some good rounds in there

redred
12-13-2015, 12:07 PM
You watch it?

was a really good fight , the end of the 1st was fun :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-14-2015, 01:33 AM
You watch it?

Sort of. I skipped around to find the highlights you mentioned. It looked like a pretty good bout.

The MacGregor-Aldo fight was up on youtube as well. I actually watched that one all the way through... all 20 seconds of it.

8-[

redred
04-19-2017, 08:41 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170419/24459d69fe0d016739bd085a19c50700.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Kevin Iole, Combat columnist - Yahoo Sports

http://i.imgur.com/k7V4Xq2.jpg

When Sugar Ray Leonard turned professional after winning a gold medal at the Summer Olympics in 1976 – a time when even amateur boxing was still significant in this country – the television networks were eager to broadcast his pro debut.

No, not HBO or Showtime. ABC, CBS and NBC, which at the time were the only networks available.

When Leonard eventually debuted on CBS, he had sponsors throwing money at him to endorse their product, newspaper reporters stayed with him throughout training camp and he was a fixture on the nightly news.

Ray Charles Leonard – who turned 61 last week – made his professional debut on CBS on Feb. 5, 1977, and developed into one of the greatest boxers of all-time and one of the biggest sports stars of his era.

Errol Spence Jr., a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic boxing team, has compiled a 21-0 pro record with 18 knockouts and will challenge Kell Brook on Saturday for the IBF welterweight title in Brook’s hometown of Sheffield, England, before about 30,000 fans.

And yet, Leonard was a vastly bigger name on Day 1 of his pro career, when he won a unanimous decision over Luis Vegas, than Spence is today on the verge of his biggest match.

But from the time he stated his intention to turn pro, Spence was compared to Leonard. As a fighter, even though Spence is left-handed and Leonard fought conventionally, the comparisons are apt.

Spence is big, powerful, athletic, has great timing, precise movements that are the result of superior footwork and a mind that seems to think four or five steps ahead of his opponent.

He’s not more widely known because of the state of modern boxing, though English promoters and fans are doing their best to uplift it. He is, though, extraordinarily gifted, and the feeling from many is that as good as he’s been in running up that 21-0 mark, his best is yet to come.

Brook, who has to be given enormous amounts of credit for his willingness to fight elite opponents, understands the level of opposition he’s facing, even if many American fans do not.

“I think [Spence] is a great talent,” Brook said. “He’s been doing what is being asked of him. He’s been knocking over everyone that’s been put in front of him, but he’s up against the champion now: A big strong welterweight. I believe I train very, very hard and I’m ready to fight and I am very honored to fight in my home city of Sheffield.

“I’m up for this fight and I know what I’m up against. Errol Spence is a talented fighter and I know that it is going to be a very, very tough match but I have been putting the work in at the gym and I’m in absolute focus.”

The clear difference between Spence and Leonard, of course, is that Leonard went out and performed against some of the best opponents of all-time. Leonard has five wins and a draw against boxers who are members of the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Spence has only fought one opponent, Chris Algieri, who held a world title.

His level of opposition is soft, and he’s making a huge leap when he meets Brook.

A budding star like Spence could have had an easier path, had he wanted it. He could have gotten a fight at home in front of a friendly crowd. But he’s going to Brook’s hometown in front of what surely will be a heavily pro-Brook audience.

That’s tough to overcome, particularly if the judges get influenced by the cheers for Brook. Spence, though, knows he’s good enough to win on the road against a good opponent, so he had no qualms about accepting the fight.

“I’m excited that it’s finally here and that I’m finally getting the opportunity to prove myself and prove that I am the best welterweight in the division,” Spence said. “Kell Brook, who’s a good fighter, has great skills and he’s a strong fighter too, he can fight. … I know it’s not going to be an easy fight for me; it’s going to be a real test to go to his hometown and to take his title from him. It’s something that real fighters do; they go to other people’s town and fight the champion. I’m going to go to his hometown and take the title.”

A Spence victory would be the sign of an arrival of yet another young, under-30 star. Spence is 27. Vasyl Lomachenko and Terence Crawford, who each have experts who believe they’re the best in the world, are both 29. Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua is 27. Canelo Alvarez is 26. Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez is 29. Keith Thurman is 28.

There are more, but the point is obvious. They are a slew of talented boxers just now into their prime.

There is legitimate hope that this can be something of a golden age for the sport. Leonard led that golden age in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s along with fighters like Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Larry Holmes and Wilfred Benitez, among many others.

Spence has the ability to be the best of the current crop, and that’s saying a lot. But the time for talking about potential and physical gifts is over.

It’s time for Spence to prove why so many believe he’s about to become the new face of American boxing.

Goofy
05-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Decent card on saturday tbh, Groves is trying for a world title yet again :lol: More looking forward to Canelo v GGG later in the year though :)

DemonGeminiX
06-19-2017, 02:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQGWg8gJJbc&ab_channel=editinking

redred
09-14-2017, 07:09 AM
anyone looking forward to the GGG vs. Canelo Alvarez fight ?

Goofy
09-14-2017, 03:15 PM
anyone looking forward to the GGG vs. Canelo Alvarez fight ?
2 comments up........ in a word, yes! Could be a classic :)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2018, 11:42 AM
The Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He6S5ieZIC0

Italian Christian Daghio has tragically died after a boxing title fight in Bangkok.

The 49-year-old, a former champion in Muay Thai and boxing, passed away in the hospital Friday after he was put in a coma due to injuries suffered during the WBC Asia title match against Don Parueang on Oct. 26.

He leaves behind his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

Footage shows Daghio being knocked out in the 12th round after receiving several huge punches to his head and face.

He was immediately treated by medical staff in the ring before he was rushed to a hospital in Bangkok.

Daghio’s brother and manager, Fabrizio, confirmed the news of his sibling’s death.

He told Italian media: “Christian died as he wanted to die, that is in the ring. He dreamed of fighting until he was 80 years old.”

Teh One Who Knocks
03-25-2019, 10:13 AM

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2019, 01:41 PM
By the TMZ Staff

https://i.imgur.com/nyOPl8N.jpg

Boxing legend Pernell Whitaker was killed Sunday night after he was hit by a car in Virginia Beach, TMZ Sports has learned. He was only 55.

We're told officials received a call around 10:04 PM in response to an accident at the intersection of Northampton Boulevard and Baker Road.

When cops arrived, they located the man who had been hit by a vehicle who was in really bad shape -- and our sources tell us that man was Pernell Whitaker.

Unfortunately, we're told Whitaker succumbed to his injuries and died.

Cops are investigating. Unclear if the driver of the car was arrested but he did stay on the scene to speak with police. It's NOT a hit and run situation.

By the way, we're told the are where Pernell was hit is NOT a popular nightlife area -- in other words, it's not like he was out partying.

Whitaker (who's from Virginia) was a BEAST in the ring ... winning world titles at 4 different weights -- lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etdoe_Dh3k0

Sweet Pea was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006 -- and is considered by many to be one of the greatest fighters of ALL TIME.

He fought everyone from Oscar De La Hoya to Julio Cesar Chavez -- and even though he lost to Oscar and Julio was a draw ... many people believe he was ROBBED in both decisions because he clearly won the fights.

His pro career began in 1984 and spanned all the way through 2001, with an amazing 40-4-1 record including 17 knockouts.

He also won a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics in L.A.

From 1993 to 1997 he was considered the #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Ring Magazine named him the Fight of the Year in 1989.

Whitaker is survived by his 5 children. RIP

Muddy
07-15-2019, 02:50 PM
:rip: Pernell..

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Steve Kim - ESPN

https://i.imgur.com/lyOd8dh.jpg

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is making a comeback.

Tyson, 54, will fight Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition on Sept. 12 at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. The bout will be broadcast on pay-per-view as well as multimedia platform Triller. According to a news release, Triller will also show a 10-part docuseries leading up to the bout.

Tyson (50-6) has caused a stir on social media the past few months as he posted footage of himself training. He last fought 15 years ago, when Kevin McBride stopped Tyson in six rounds.

Tyson, in an appearance on ESPN's First Take on Thursday, explained his reasoning for a return to the ring.

"It's because I can do it. And I believe other people believe they can do it too," Tyson said. "Just because we are 54, it doesn't mean that we have to start a new career and our lives are totally over. Not when you feel as beautiful as I do, and I'm sure that other people feel the same way.

"I never took that many punches. After the last fight I had, I left and I lived my life, and I've been through some experiences, and now I'm back here. I feel like I took better care of my body and my state of mind than most of the fighters before me that retired and came back."

Jones (66-9), at his apex, was considered the most brilliant boxer in the sport, winning titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight. He had a sublime mix of speed, technique and ring intelligence.

Last month, Jones, 51, expressed interest in a possible bout with Tyson.

"I've been trying to enjoy retirement, but people don't seem to want to let me retire," Jones said. "They keep calling me, telling me that Mike wants to come back, and that you'd be a great opponent for Mike.

"We always wanted to see it, but I would've preferred it back then. Tyson is a hell of a specimen still. Still a problem to deal with. But at the same time, life is life, you only live once. You want to know what it's like, you go in there and see. You still gotta see it."

"Iron Mike" was considered one of the most ferocious fighters in the world. He became the youngest heavyweight champion in history (at 20 years and four months) by stopping Trevor Berbick in two rounds in November 1986.

Tyson then ruled the division with impunity, making nine successful defenses and unifying the division before being upset by Buster Douglas in February 1990.

After spending three years in jail for a rape conviction, Tyson returned to boxing in 1995, then won the WBC and WBA heavyweight titles in 1996. Tyson's last true big fight came in the summer of 2002, when he was halted in eight rounds by Lennox Lewis.

As for Jones, his career declined after he was knocked out by Antonio Tarver in 2004. That began a three-bout losing streak, and a fighter who was once considered untouchable became more and more susceptible to getting knocked out.

Jones last appeared in a professional bout in February 2018, when he defeated Scott Sigmon by decision. The last recognizable name on his ledger, Enzo Maccarinelli, knocked out Jones in four rounds in Moscow in 2015.

Tyson didn't seem too concerned when asked about the risk he and Jones face fighting at their respective ages.

"We're both accomplished fighters, we know how to take care of ourselves," he said. "It's an eight-round exhibition. And, listen, we'll be all right. Trust me, we can take care of ourselves."

In an interview with Yahoo Sports, Andy Foster, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said that he believed there wouldn't be headgear, but that the boxers would use 12-ounce gloves.

On Thursday afternoon, The Athletic reported that former NBA player Nate Robinson and YouTube star Jake Paul had agreed to fight on the undercard of Tyson-Jones.

For Robinson, a 3-time NBA slam dunk champion, this will be his first boxing match. Paul has fought twice, most recently notching a first-round technical knockout of fellow YouTube personality AnEsonGib (known as Gib) back in January.

Hugh_Janus
07-27-2020, 09:16 PM
have you seen the vids of him in the last couple of months? dude looks scary as fuck.

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2020, 11:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolBNaavdAQ

Muddy
07-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Mike has become very beloved here lately.. Aside from that, Mike is going to fuck Jones up.. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2020, 10:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0PnTCWoaI

FBD
07-30-2020, 07:30 PM
have you seen the vids of him in the last couple of months? dude looks scary as fuck.

Very true, but also very true is the fact that people's ability to take a punch diminishes hugely by the time you're 50. How tf old is Jr?

Muddy
07-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Very true, but also very true is the fact that people's ability to take a punch diminishes hugely by the time you're 50. How tf old is Jr?

52 I think..

lost in melb.
07-31-2020, 08:35 AM
I'm looking forward to the fight with the two strongest guys in the world.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-31-2020, 09:52 AM

The Incredible Hulk v The Mountain? :-k

lost in melb.
07-31-2020, 10:11 AM
The Incredible Hulk v The Mountain? :-k

I think they disqualified Hulk for radioisotopic enhancement :-k

The Mountain's gonna have to slum it with Eddie Hall...

Teh One Who Knocks
07-31-2020, 10:14 AM
I think they disqualified Hulk for radioisotopic enhancement :-k

The Mountain's gonna have to slum it with Eddie Hall...

Hulk sad... :sad2:

Hugh_Janus
08-04-2020, 08:15 PM

eddie hall is going to fuck thor up :lol:

lost in melb.
08-05-2020, 04:38 AM
eddie hall is going to fuck thor up :lol:

His Neck looks thicker (if that is at all even possible)

I predict the fist one to land a clean punch will win :)

Hugh_Janus
08-11-2020, 10:27 PM
His Neck looks thicker (if that is at all even possible)

I predict the fist one to land a clean punch will win :)

talk about a thick neck, brian shaw is one tough motherfucker, eddie ehall threw and I mean really threw a 20lb medicine ball at his face and he barely moved. It reminded me of the termnator when it got punched in the face

Hugh_Janus
08-11-2020, 10:32 PM
I don't know why I wrote all that when I could have just posted the video :facepalm:

skip to 3:08

https://youtu.be/IA9UNtKI7go?t=188

lost in melb.
08-11-2020, 11:29 PM
A wee little fluff ball :)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2020, 12:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xm3AZ_eCc

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2020, 12:16 PM
By Brent Brookhouse - CBS Sports

https://i.imgur.com/j32uK8l.jpg

It's time for a little bit of nostalgia. After weeks and weeks of posting hype videos of training, Mike Tyson is heading back inside a boxing ring for an exhibition match on PPV. The former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, now 54, will take on former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr. on Nov. 28 from California. Jones Jr. himself turned 51 in January.

Tyson, of course, was one of the most feared heavyweights in history, dominating the division over the late 1980s, becoming the youngest heavyweight champion in history with brutal punching power that carried him to a 37-0 record before he fell victim to one of the greatest sports upsets in history when he was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas in Tokyo in July 1990. Tyson remained a star despite years spent in prison after being convicted of rape. Tyson would go on to infamous lows such as twice biting Evander Holyfield in their June 1997 rematch and quitting against Kevin McBride during his final pro bout. He has, in recent years, rehabilitated his image as a kinder, gentler version of himself, appearing in films, hosting a podcast and becoming an outspoken advocate for marijuana.

Jones was named the best boxer of the 1990s by Ring Magazine. At his best, Jones displayed a dazzling combination of speed, power and defense, while being able to showboat in fantastic and improbable ways. Jones won wold championships at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, and eventually heavyweight in a historic accomplishment. After a near-flawless first 50 fights of his career -- his lone loss a controversial disqualification against Montell Griffin that was avenged in less than one round in the rematch -- Jones career slowly began to unravel as his style was too dependent on reflexes that diminished over time.

However, there has been some controversy brewing as Jones Jr. threatened to withdraw from the bout because of money and the delay. Jones Jr. felt that the delay is because promoters believe fans may be able to attend in November, which would disrupt his own schedule and should open the door to more money in his pocket. It is unclear at this time where the fight stands.

Then, roughly a month later, Jones said that he may have made a mistake in matching up against Tyson because he's the more explosive, heavier fighter. Jones noted that he would likely give up 40-50 pounds in size to Tyson and that he will fight by any means necessary to get the job done. "If it comes down to bite, we're going to bite. Whatever has to happen is going to happen."

The fighters will meet for a press conference on Oct. 29, just about one month out from their in-ring clash.

There is also a championship tinge to the event, with the WBC creating a "Frontline" championship for the event, an odd decision for an exhibition bout, but boxing finds a way to pay for these sorts of unnecessary additions.

Below is all the information we know about the bout, including the fight card, odds and rules. Be sure to check in on this page often as it will be updated frequently.

Is the fight safe?

Older boxers have come back for exhibition bouts in the past. Tyson had floated the idea for months before the bout was announced, though many expected his opponent to be Holyfield, who was similarly teasing an exhibition return. There are, of course, safety concerns when it comes to two men in their 50s who have taken full careers of punches to the head. A report by Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole stated, "Tyson-Jones fight will be EXHIBITION bout with bigger gloves, perhaps 12 ounces. They met with Andy Foster of [California State Athletic Commission] on Zoom recently. They aren't going to try for KOs. Sept. 12 at Dignity Health Sports Park."

Of course, the fighters have spoken differently about their approach to the fight, not wanting to turn the public off to the idea. But Foster doubled down on the idea that the fighters would not be trying to knock each other out and were expected to "exhibit their boxing abilities" over eight, three-minute rounds, featuring no headgear and large gloves that would typically only be used for in-gym sparring sessions.

"I wanted to have their assurances that they understand, 'I don't care if they spar. I don't care if they work.' They are world-class athletes, even still," Foster told BoxingScene. "They have a right to earn, and all these types of things. They're about the same age. We can't mislead the public as to this is some kind of real fight. They can get into it a little bit, but I don't want people to get hurt. They know the deal.

"It's an exhibition. They can exhibit their boxing skills, but I don't want them using their best efforts to hurt each other. They're going to spar hard, but they shouldn't be going for a knockout. This isn't a record-book type of fight. This is not world-championship boxing right now. It's not what this is. People shouldn't be getting knocked out. The public can see what kind of shape Roy and Mike are still in."

It is unclear yet, however, what size gloves will be used. Foster also said there will be no judges for this contest, making it a true exhibition with no expected winner. Some gambling sites have offered odds on the match, but it's tough to tell how that will go given it could just end at any moment.

How can I watch the fight?

Despite Foster stating the fight is a glorified bit of sparring that the public should not consider "some kind of real fight," that same public is being asked to pay to watch the fight go down. The cost of the event is $49.99 and will be available via Fite.tv and through the official TysonOnTriller.com website.

Triller is an up-and-coming social media platform that looks to be something akin to a TikTok competitor. They have acquired exclusive rights to a 10-part documentary series on the event, and according to CNBC, paid "upwards of $50 million" for rights to carry the event. Triller's involvement, as well as the involvement of Tyson's new "Legends Only League" stick two unknown quantities on a major stage along with an ongoing global pandemic, leading some to believe there's a solid chance the fight never actually takes place.
What other fights are on the PPV?

The card is finally coming together after months of only having announced YouTube celebrity Jake Paul against former NBA player Nate Robinson as well as a Badou Jack fight.

The card, as of Oct. 23, is as follows:

Main card

Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. -- WBC Frontline Championship
Jake Paul vs. Nate Robinson -- cruiserweights
Badou Jack vs. Blake McKernan -- light heavyweights
Viddal Riley vs. Rashad Coulter -- cruiserweights

Preliminary card

Jamaine Ortiz vs. Nahir Albright -- lightweights
Irvin Gonzalez Jr. vs. Edward Vasquez -- featherweights
Juiseppe Cusumano vs. Nick Jones -- heavyweights

FBD
10-28-2020, 12:29 PM
wow, they're actually doing it :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2020, 11:00 AM
It kinda sucks that they are billing it as an 'exhibition' match, I'd love to see Tyson just destroy RJJ, because if it was a real fight, Tyson would fuck him up, even at 54 years old. :lol:

FBD
10-29-2020, 01:43 PM
I'm concerned for either of them, KOs at that age come much more quickly with much less force

Goofy
10-29-2020, 01:59 PM
It kinda sucks that they are billing it as an 'exhibition' match, I'd love to see Tyson just destroy RJJ, because if it was a real fight, Tyson would fuck him up, even at 54 years old. :lol:
True, Roy Jones was awesome in his prime, but even then i dont think he couldve beaten a "real" heavyweight, he just doesn't have the size.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2020, 11:27 AM
True, Roy Jones was awesome in his prime, but even then i dont think he couldve beaten a "real" heavyweight, he just doesn't have the size.

And have you seen the vids of Tyson working out lately? He looks like he could still step into the ring and win.

Goofy
10-30-2020, 01:12 PM
And have you seen the vids of Tyson working out lately? He looks like he could still step into the ring and win.
Yeah, ive seen the training videos. Tyson's always had the tools, just seemed like he didn't have the heart for it in the end.

With his punch power i'd imagine he could KO a lot of pros around right now, dunno how the gas-tank will be at 50+ though.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-25-2020, 12:37 PM
By Ollie Salt, Sport Reporter - The Daily Star

https://i.imgur.com/KhTRi3i.jpg

Mike Tyson will not be allowed to knock Roy Jones Jr out during their eagerly-awaited exhibition bout on Saturday night.

The former undisputed heavyweight champion is making a shock return to boxing at the age of 54, almost 14 years since he last climbed through the ropes.

He is set to take on a fellow fighting legend in Jones, 51, who claimed world titles in four separate weight classes during his own illustrious career.

Both men have rubbished suggestions they will not be taking the fight seriously this weekend, while also blasting the WBC’s decision to reduce round lengths from three minutes to two minutes.

However, there will no ringside at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles, California, on Saturday night - meaning there will be no official winner announced after the eight-round contest.

The WBC will have former fighters Christy Martin, Vinny Pazienza and Chad Dawson scoring the bout remotely, nevertheless, and the unofficial winner they select will receive a special ‘Frontline Battle Belt’.

https://i.imgur.com/bFpsUx2.png

California State Athletic Commission chief Andy Foster insists the contest will be brought to a halt if either Tyson or Jones sustain a cut, while knockouts will strictly not be permitted.

UFC president Dana White has been left baffled by the rules set up for the exhibition bout, saying: “There's no knockouts? They're not allowed to knock each other out?

https://i.imgur.com/FHS1f9K.jpg

“How do you enforce that?”

Tyson and Jones do not have to wear protective headgear, but they will be donning bigger 12oz gloves in the hope of minimising damage.

They have also been made to fight a shorter 16-minute bout considering their age and, particularly in Tyson’s case, time away from the ring.

‘Iron’ Mike last competed in a series of exhibition bouts against Corey Sanders in 2006, while his last professional contest came in a knockout defeat against Kevin McBride the previous year.

Jones was last in action as recently as February 2018, when he claimed a comfortable points victory against Scott Sigmon.

FBD
11-25-2020, 02:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9tr7aj9koc

FBD
11-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Jones had a quicker jab in the early rounds but you could tell he was staying the fuck away from Tyson :lol: Jones was tired af by the end of the bout, while Tyson looked like he could have gone until round 12. Tyson actually looked really good. Not really surprising that they called it a draw tho.

Guy asked Tyson if this meant he was going to seek a license and fight officially, but Tyson said no, this is bigger than world championships and all that, this is for charity.

Then Tyson got pissed when interviewer was saying how they were concerned for Jones' health, Tyson was like what about my health, noone was worried about that! :lol:

So it looks like Tyson will definitely look to set up a few more charity bouts!

Oh, and Nate Robinson has no business being in a ring.....like Israel Adesanya said while commentating "you dont 'play' boxing"
https://twitter.com/TeamDJP/status/1332904720806064132
it was actually annoying af to watch, Robinson just basically kept running for hugs and eventually Paul got a couple brain scramblers in, Robinson made it to his feet at #9 on the first two almost-KOs...this last one he was laying on the canvas for like 5+ minutes it seemed.

lost in melb.
11-30-2020, 04:34 AM
Can't find any footage of the latest Tyson fight. Is it behind a paywall or something?

Apparently it's a draw and they are saying Tyson was robbed

lost in melb.
11-30-2020, 04:49 AM
Found one.

Man, it sure looks like Tyson had the upper edge and that, frankly, he could have KO'd Jones at any stage.

https://youtu.be/SBeRDmtwFKw

Muddy
11-30-2020, 02:23 PM
I liked Snoops commentary.. One of the highlights was when Snoop compared the fight to his two uncles fighting at the family cookout. “Grandma, they out there fighting again,” he said at a point.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-07-2021, 12:36 AM
Leon Spinks has died from cancer at age 67 :rip:

DemonGeminiX
02-07-2021, 04:19 AM
:rip:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2021, 12:30 AM
Marvelous Marvin Hagler has died at 66. :(

RBP
03-14-2021, 12:51 AM
Marvelous Marvin Hagler has died at 66. :(

Sad. What a fighter. The announcement was odd. Wife said her beloved husband "died unexpectedly at his home"

FBD
03-14-2021, 12:54 PM
whenever people die from the "vaccine," its unexpected

https://archive.is/7U7c4
https://heavy.com/sports/ufc/controversy-rages-look/

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/03/13/controversy-erupts-after-thomas-hitman-hearns-said-marvin-hagler-was-fighting-effects-of-vaccine-just-before-death/

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2021, 02:24 PM
Sad. What a fighter. The announcement was odd. Wife said her beloved husband "died unexpectedly at his home"Hagler was my favorite boxer back in the day, he was a beast. And I still to this day believe the fight between him and Sugar Ray was fixed.

FBD
03-14-2021, 02:29 PM
:hand: professional sports arent fixed, there's no evidence that anyone fixed a game, a set, a match, ever, in all of history

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2021, 01:48 PM
Field Level Media

https://i.imgur.com/NskIt5S.jpg

Former world welterweight king Floyd Mayweather said Tuesday he will face off against YouTube personality Logan Paul in an exhibition bout at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium on June 6.

“Logan Paul and I are going to fight at Hard Rock Stadium. Mayweather Promotions, Fanmio and Showtime will team up to give you an epic event,” Mayweather wrote on Instagram.

A separate post from Mayweather Promotions billed the contest as a “historic crossover event” dubbed “Bragging Rights.”

The announcement gave no further information about specifics of the fight such as number of rounds or what size gloves would be used.

Logan Paul, 26, first ventured into white-collar boxing in a bout with British YouTuber KSI in 2018 that reportedly generated 1.3 million pay per view buys worldwide, before a rematch in 2019 in Los Angeles.

Logan Paul (0-1 0 KOs) is the older brother of Jake Paul, who recently defeated Ben Askren by first-round knockout.

The 44-year-old Mayweather meanwhile has not fought since beating mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor by technical knockout in a money-spinning cross-combat superfight in Las Vegas in 2017.

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) came out of retirement for that contest after hanging up his gloves two years earlier after an unbeaten career spanning three decades.

FBD
04-28-2021, 03:11 PM
If Logan is 0-1 and Jake is 2-0 or 3-0, why is Logan the one fighting Mayweather?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2021, 03:15 PM
If Logan is 0-1 and Jake is 2-0 or 3-0, why is Logan the one fighting Mayweather?

Yeah, I would have really expected it to be Jake instead of Logan, especially after Jake destroyed Askren in his last fight, regardless if Askren took it completely seriously or not.

FBD
04-28-2021, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I would have really expected it to be Jake instead of Logan, especially after Jake destroyed Askren in his last fight, regardless if Askren took it completely seriously or not.

imo Askren took it seriously...he most likely didnt train ridiculous for it like for a real MMA match, but I think that was all the ref/system calling the fight that made it a joke

and speaking of jokes, wasnt Logan's lone fight a total joke?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-28-2021, 03:44 PM
Field Level Media

https://i.imgur.com/NskIt5S.jpg

Former world welterweight king Floyd Mayweather said Tuesday he will face off against YouTube personality Logan Paul in an exhibition bout at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium on June 6.

“Logan Paul and I are going to fight at Hard Rock Stadium. Mayweather Promotions, Fanmio and Showtime will team up to give you an epic event,” Mayweather wrote on Instagram.

A separate post from Mayweather Promotions billed the contest as a “historic crossover event” dubbed “Bragging Rights.”

The announcement gave no further information about specifics of the fight such as number of rounds or what size gloves would be used.

Logan Paul, 26, first ventured into white-collar boxing in a bout with British YouTuber KSI in 2018 that reportedly generated 1.3 million pay per view buys worldwide, before a rematch in 2019 in Los Angeles.

Logan Paul (0-1 0 KOs) is the older brother of Jake Paul, who recently defeated Ben Askren by first-round knockout.

The 44-year-old Mayweather meanwhile has not fought since beating mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor by technical knockout in a money-spinning cross-combat superfight in Las Vegas in 2017.

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) came out of retirement for that contest after hanging up his gloves two years earlier after an unbeaten career spanning three decades.

This will go the same way the last one went, Mayweather will tire him out and win at the end

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2021, 06:20 PM
imo Askren took it seriously...he most likely didnt train ridiculous for it like for a real MMA match, but I think that was all the ref/system calling the fight that made it a joke

and speaking of jokes, wasnt Logan's lone fight a total joke?

Logan and this KSI guy fought twice. The first one was a majority draw. This was the rematch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5to980XceD4

FBD
04-28-2021, 06:30 PM
heh, I thought it was jake that knocked out the basketball player :lol: that was such a terrible showing. oh wait, that vid isnt the bball player. I dont pay attention to this shit, I just want those idiot youtubers to be embarrassed :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2021, 11:13 AM
By Gareth Bicknell, Overnight sport reporter - The Daily Star

https://i.imgur.com/OPnF9SJ.jpg

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder have reportedly agreed terms for their trilogy rematch to take place on July 24.

The date had been earmarked for a third clash between the heavyweights rivals after an arbitration court judge ruled Wilder was entitled to a rematch - halting plans for Anthony Joshua to face Anthony Joshua.

Both Fury and Wilder have now agreed on the showdown, with promoter Bob Arum saying contracts will be signed in the coming days.

That's according to a report from ESPN, which says the purse for the fight in Las Vegas, will be split 60-40 in Fury's favour.

Fury produced a stunning display to take from the WBC belt from Wilder in February last year, after his first fight with the Bronze Bomber ended in a controversial draw back in December 2018.

The Gypsy King had appeared on course for an all-British unification fight against Joshua, but negotiations were stopped in their tracks by the arbitration ruling.

The trilogy rematch with Wilder now leaves Joshua seeking an opponent - although Fury this week vowed he was still coming for his rival.

"I'll smoke Wilder first then you will get yours," Fury tweeted at his fellow Brit on Tuesday.

Joshua has hit out at his compatriot and called for another challenger to take him on.

https://i.imgur.com/NK4xJqF.jpg

“ Tyson Fury the world now sees you for the fraud you are,” he said on Twitter.

“You’ve let boxing down! You lied to the fans and led them on. Used my name for clout not a fight.

“Bring me any championship fighter who can handle their business correctly.”

Joshua could now face Oleksandr Usyk, who recently stepped up to heavyweight and saw off Derek Chisora.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2021, 10:49 AM
The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/jBNF1IMh.jpg

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Floyd Mayweather Jr. outclassed YouTube personality Logan Paul but couldn’t stop him inside the distance.

Mayweather and Paul boxed an eight-round exhibition Sunday night at Hard Rock Stadium. With the bout not being scored, no winner was declared.

The 44-year-old Mayweather used the ring skills that propelled him to world titles in five divisions and a 50-0 career record to frustrate Paul with solid lead and counter shots.

"You’ve got to realize I’m not 21 anymore but it’s good," Mayweather said in the ring. "He’s better than I thought he was. Good little work. Tonight was a fun night."
Mayweather, who won titles in the super-featherweight, lightweight, super-lightweight, welterweight and super-welterweight divisions, has said he will not return to competitive boxing. Instead, he will continue to tap into the pay-per-view market with exhibitions like his event with Paul.

Post-fight punch stats showed Mayweather comfortably ahead on total and power shots.

After the fight, Paul celebrated the accomplishment of going the distance against Mayweather.

"Shoot, man, I don’t want anyone to tell me anything is impossible ever again," Paul said. "To get in here with one of the greatest boxers of all time, proves that the odds could be beat.

Paul weighed 189 pounds for the exhibition and attempted to use his 34-pound advantage by leaning on the shorter Mayweather. But Paul’s lack of boxing skills left him open to Mayweather’s short left hooks to the head and rights to the body.

"He used his weight and tried to tie me up," Mayweather said.

Earlier, former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson boxed a four-round exhibition against multi-combat sport veteran Brian Maxwell. Like the Mayweather-Paul exhibition there was no scoring, but Johnson avoided a knockout loss after he was floored with an overall right to the head in the final round.

Johnson, in his first boxing event, survived the remainder of the round. The 43-year-old Johnson scored with a solid right to the head in the opening minute of the bout and landed combinations to the head in the second round. But in the minute rest before the fourth round, Johnson breathed heavily and rested his arms on the ropes.

"This was fun, I lost my virginity tonight," Johnson said about his maiden boxing experience. "This is one for my bucket list. My life has always been about taking chances."

Luis Arias won a split decision over former super-welterweight champion Jarrett Hurd and former super-middleweight titleholder Badou Jack stopped Dervin Colina in the fourth round.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2021, 10:42 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Boxing fans are notoriously tough to please…even when there’s an exhibition.

Fans were treated Sunday night to the highly anticipated, albeit unlikely, matchup between champion boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and YouTube sensation Logan Paul. The fight at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida, went the distance (eight rounds) and no winner was declared because there were no judges.

Paul, who is 26 years old, 6’2, and has 34 pounds on Mayweather, 44, seemed to impress pro, who after the bout said, "He’s better than I thought he was."
Jason Gay, the sports columnist for the Wall Street Journal, summed up the fight, "Paul was, unsurprisingly, the lesser fighter, mechanically wooden, dreadfully inaccurate with his punches, but he was fit enough to take a few shots to the chin from Mayweather, and then drape his large frame atop on him, tying him up."

Some spectators were unimpressed and even a conspiracy emerged that the two somehow coordinated the draw. A viral video showed Mayweather clock Paul on the left side of the head and then appear to prop him up instead of allowing him to collapse. The New York Post reported, "Instead of letting him fall, Mayweather appeared to hold him up off the floor, preventing a knockdown — or, perhaps, a knockout."

The running theory is that if Mayweather came out of the gate and pulverized Paul there would be little interest in the possibility of a rematch.

Mayweather addressed his critics during a news conference after the match.

"They say, ‘It’s not all about the money.’ Well, your kids can’t eat legacy," Mayweather said. "Patches on my trunks, that was $30 million alone. So, who’s really the smartest one in the sport of boxing?"

Reps for Mayweather and Paul did not immediately respond to an after-hours email from Fox News seeking comment.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

FBD
06-08-2021, 01:36 PM
oh cripes, holding him up...the round was 5...4....3...2... what's the point in bitching about that. Paul was 2-3 weight classes above Mayweather, this was a wack match from the getgo.

hope woodley comes out a little better. I dont like Tyron Woodley, at all, but I still want him to beat Jake Paul

lost in melb.
06-08-2021, 01:58 PM
They say, ‘It’s not all about the money.’ Well, your kids can’t eat legacy," Mayweather said. "Patches on my trunks, that was $30 million alone. So, who’s really the smartest one in the sport of boxing?"

Lol.

Godfather
06-09-2021, 02:48 AM
You think he really made $30 mil on the ads on his trunks?! That is bonkers.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-07-2022, 01:54 PM
Mike Coppinger - ESPN

https://i.imgur.com/k8hhOHC.png

Mills Lane, the Hall of Fame referee who officiated the Mike Tyson-Evander Holyfield "Bite Fight" and more than 100 other championship bouts, died Tuesday morning at his Reno, Nevada, home, his son Terry Lane confirmed to ESPN. He was 85.

Lane, known for his prefight catchphrase "Let's get it on," suffered a stroke in March 2002 that partially paralyzed him and left him virtually unable to speak.

He was surrounded by his wife, Kaye, and sons, Terry and Tommy, during his final days. Much of that time was spent watching videos of roughly 50 fights he refereed during the 1980s and '90s, including Marvin Hagler's 1979 draw vs. Vito Antuofermo for the middleweight championship.

"The past 20 years after the stroke were pretty tough, to be honest," said Terry Lane, who manages prominent Chinese boxers Zhang Zhilei and Fanlong Meng. " ... We're relieved of the outpouring of support.

"He was just this really amazing father and husband and I don't know if people got to see that kind and sensitive side of him. My mom took care of him since the stroke; he never spent one night in a nursing home. I don't know if Dec. 6 is my dad's date of death or a new life for her."

Lane, regarded for his no-nonsense attitude as the third man in the ring, started boxing after he joined the Marines in 1956 and was later defeated in the U.S. Olympic trials in 1960 in San Francisco.

He turned pro as a welterweight the following year and suffered a first-round TKO loss in his debut. Lane went on to win 10 consecutive fights (with six KOs) and retired in 1967 with a 10-1 record.

He graduated from the University of Utah's law school in 1970 and refereed his first title fight the following year.

Lane always seemed to find himself in big boxing moments. Whether it was Tyson's comeback DQ victory over Peter McNeeley or Julio Cesar Chavez's rematch win over Meldrick Taylor, Lane was there as arguably the most recognizable referee in boxing's storied history.

In 1998, Bernard Hopkins' fight with Robert Allen ended in a no contest when Hopkins was ejected from the ring while Lane was trying to break one of the many clinches. Even his final fight -- Tommy Hearns' first-round KO of Jay Snyder in 1998 -- featured an ultrarare double knockdown.

That same year, Lane crossed over into the mainstream with his syndicated court program, "Judge Mills Lane," which ran until 2001 (the Savannah, Georgia, native previously served as both a district attorney and district judge.)

Lane added to his place in pop culture lore when MTV's popular Claymation series, "Celebrity Deathmatch," debuted in 1998 with Lane as the referee complete with his trademark catchphrase.

"Everything is discipline," Lane told the Los Angeles Times in 1991. "When I'm working a fight, I give the same energy and attention to a four-rounder as I do a million-dollar fight. The way I see it, in either case, on that night, it's the most important fight in those fighters' careers."

DemonGeminiX
12-07-2022, 05:54 PM
:rip:

deebakes
12-07-2022, 11:59 PM
good ol' celebrity deathmatch :(

deebakes
12-07-2022, 11:59 PM
20 years post stroke with no speech, that sounds unpleasant

lost in melb.
12-08-2022, 10:49 AM
20 years post stroke with no speech, that sounds unpleasant