PDA

View Full Version : Gay pastor suing Whole Foods after finding homophobic slur on cake order

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2016, 11:22 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/SjfODpX.jpg

A Texas pastor is suing Whole Foods after receiving a cake decorated with an anti-gay slur he says a bakery worker added to his order.

Jordan Brown, an openly gay pastor who preaches at the non-denominational Church of Open Doors, ordered a cake from the chain’s flagship location in Austin, Texas on April 14 for a member of his congregation, according to the lawsuit filed Monday in Travis County court.

In the store's bakery section, Brown says he pointed to a blank, pre-frosted cake with blue icing and asked the Whole Foods employee to write “Love Wins.” The pastor paid for the cake and left the store. But it was not until he was loading it into his car that he noticed something extra scrawled on his order.

He looked down and saw “Love Wins F**” had been scrawled in blue icing, according to the suit.

“For me it was humiliating. Because being a pastor who is openly gay, I've had to deal with this in the past," Brown told FOX Austin.

Brown says his first call to Whole Foods corporate went unreturned. He was able to reach someone at the flagship store, Team Leader Geoff Nunez, who was initially “extremely apologetic,” according to Brown, and asked that the matter be handled internally.

But after waiting two hours, Brown says Nunez called back and said there was “nothing he could do.”

The company has now issued a statement regarding the incident, in which they deny any wrongdoing by employees:

“Our team member wrote "love wins" at the top of the cake as requested by the guest, and that's exactly how the cake was packaged and sold at the store. Our team members do not accept or design bakery orders that include language or images that are offensive. Whole Foods Market has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination. We stand behind our bakery team member, who is part of the LGBT community, and the additional team members from the store, who confirmed the cake was decorated with only the message ‘Love Wins.’”

On Monday, Kaplan Law Firm, which is representing Brown, posted a video filmed by the pastor on April 14 in which he shows an unopened, sealed box with the cake in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p972qntg1qM

Brown is suing Whole Foods for intentional infliction of emotional distress. He says the slur on the cake has dredged up painful memories.

Says the pastor, “The feeling that I had just resurfaced a bunch of painful memories of things that have happened to me.”

UPDATE: On Tuesday, Whole Foods announced that it had filed a countersuit against Brown, alleging that the pastor “intentionally, knowingly and falsely accused Whole Foods and its employees of writing the homophobic slur… on a custom made cake that he ordered from WFM’s Lamar Store in Austin…” reports My Statesman. The Austin-based grocery chain released security footage from the flagship store that they claim proves Brown tampered with the original cake packaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyoluahNZZs

“After reviewing their security footage of Mr. Brown, it’s clear that the UPC label was in fact on top of the cake box, not on the side of the package,” Whole Foods said in a statement.

The company said it stands by the employees of the Austin store who deny any wrongdoing.

Whole Foods has accused Brown of damaging its reputation and is seeking at least $100,000 in damages from the pastor.

RBP
04-20-2016, 11:47 AM
These do often turn out false.

Pony
04-20-2016, 11:57 AM
These do often turn out false.

Still doesn't stop the social justice warriors from bullying until they get a result. #factsdontmatter

DemonGeminiX
04-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Man, what a fag.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-20-2016, 03:27 PM
:lol:

Goofy
04-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Could've been worse, the cake could've said "Love Wins Fag" rather than "Love Wins F**"......... tbh i don't see what's offensive about the F letter and two blurry, smudged letters :-k

fricnjay
04-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Maybe the baker was English and wanted a smoke...:-k

RBP
04-21-2016, 03:18 AM
Maybe the baker was English and wanted a smoke...:-k

Or maybe he was a fag who wanted to smoke the other fag's cock.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2016, 11:10 AM
FOX News

The Texas pastor who sued Whole Foods in April for allegedly writing a gay slur on a cake he bought withdrew his lawsuit on Monday and apologized to the supermarket chain for perpetrating a hoax, KVUE reported.

"The company did nothing wrong," openly gay pastor Jordan Brown wrote in a Monday statement. "I was wrong to pursue this matter and use the media to perpetuate this story."

Brown said in April that he requested a cake from Whole Foods with the phrase “Love Wins” written on it, but when he received his cake there was a homophobic remark added. Brown made the accusation in an Internet video and launched a lawsuit shortly thereafter.

But alert viewers quickly pointed out that the icing style used to write “Love Wins” and the gay slur appeared to differ, and Whole Foods released surveillance video showing the cake being purchased with the UPC code in a different location than Brown's video, suggesting the cake had been opened and tampered with.

"Our bakery team member wrote “Love Wins” at the top of the cake, which was visible to Mr. Brown through the clear portion of the packaging," Whole Foods said in an April statement. "That’s exactly how the cake was packaged and sold at the store."

The bakery member implicity accused by Brown of writing the slur was a "part of the LGBTQ community," according to Whole Foods.

“I want to apologize to Whole Foods and its team members for questioning the company’s commitment to its values, and especially the baker associate who I understand was put in a terrible position because of my actions,” Brown said in the statement.

“I apologize to the LGBT community for diverting attention from real issues. I also want to apologize to my partner, my family, my church family, and my attorney.”

Whole Foods filed a countersuit against Brown and hasn’t said if it would drop that action now that Brown has dropped his lawsuit.

RBP
05-17-2016, 01:14 PM
This is my shocked face. :|

deebakes
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
so did the pastor admit to adding "fag"? if i was whole foods, i would go ahead with suing the dude :x