PDA

View Full Version : High School Basketball Player Is 30 Years Old?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-22-2016, 11:48 AM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/1vJeXNP.jpg

Jonathon Nicola was arrested by Canadian border officers on April 20 after attending a Catholic high school in Windsor, Canada, as an 11th grade teen, even though he is believed to be 30 years old.

Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board spokesman Stephen Fields told the Windsor Star:

There’s really not a whole lot to say. Because of the fact this is a matter that’s still outstanding before the federal authorities, obviously we can’t really comment on it. Beyond that there’s not a whole lot to say.

Generally I can tell you that we have a system of checks and balances in place that whenever international students are coming into any of our schools, we make sure that they have all of the necessary government documentation that they require in order to be in one of our schools.

Fields would not say if the school board would alert parents and students (who are obviously going to hear about the situation in the media).

"Again, generally speaking, if we felt at any time that there is any kind of threat to any of our students at any of our schools, then we would act appropriately," Fields added.

The six-foot-nine, 202-pound Nicola was on a student visa from the South Sudan in Africa while playing for the Catholic Central Comets senior boys' basketball team.

Nicola, who wears a size 16 shoe, has been detained for allegedly violating the Immigration Refugee Protection Act.

Nicola was living with head basketball coach Pete Cusumano per a government program that secures housing for foreign students.

Cusumano told the newspaper that he wasn't allowed to speak about Nicola's situation, but told the Windsor Star in January: “I think this kid will have a chance at the NBA. I have never said that about any kid from Windsor."

"He’s never played organized ball," Cusumano added. "He’s just played pick-up ball. He’s not used to structure, so everything’s new to him."

"A few of my friends know of my background, how we live over there," Nicola told the newspaper at the time. "I don’t know how many of them have a clue of how it is in Africa."

Nicola arrived on Nov. 22, 2015, just three days before his alleged 17th birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Jzm7ieSP8