PDA

View Full Version : Uber driver refused to let blind man’s guide dog in car because it was ‘against his religion’

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Harry Readhead for Metro.co.uk

http://i.imgur.com/3j9Kloa.jpg

Taxi firm Uber has apologised to a blind student after one of its drivers refused to let a guide dog into his car because it was ‘against his religion’.

Charles Bloch, 22, used the app to call a cab to take him and two-year-old labrador Carlo to the park.

When he called the driver to let him know that he would bring his guide dog, the driver refused the fare because the dog was an ‘unclean animal’ that might ‘try to lick him.’

Charles, who has been blind since birth, told the driver that it was illegal to refuse a lift to a blind passenger with a guide dog. The driver responded: ‘Are you threatening me?’ and hung up.

‘He didn’t say exactly what religion he was but that his beliefs said that dogs were unclean animals,’ Charles, who studies at De Montford, said.

‘He asked if my dog would lick him because guide dogs have to sit in the front passenger seat. It was a very bizarre thing to say.

‘It was quite intimidating. It was my first time using Uber but this experience has put me off using them for life.’

An Uber spokesman extended the firm’s ‘sincere apologies’ to Charles.

‘It is not acceptable to refuse guide dogs,’ he said.

‘While the licensed drivers who use our app are self-employed, we remind them of their legal obligation to take service animals before they can start driving.’

fricnjay
04-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Actually according to the Second Amendment the Uber driver has all the right to refuse this on religious grounds. Its his car and he is an independent contractor he should have the right to refuse the fair because he doesn't want dog hair all over his car in my opinion. Blind man can always find another Uber.

redred
04-29-2016, 02:57 PM
that dog looks photo shopped in :lol: you sure the guy was blind?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Actually according to the Second Amendment the Uber driver has all the right to refuse this on religious grounds. Its his car and he is an independent contractor he should have the right to refuse the fair because he doesn't want dog hair all over his car in my opinion. Blind man can always find another Uber.

Not sure what the right to bear arms would have to do with this....and this happened in the UK :-k

fricnjay
04-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Not sure what the right to bear arms would have to do with this....and this happened in the UK :-k

Sorry meant the 1st and Oh I didn't realize this was UK :oops:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2016, 03:05 PM
Sorry meant the 1st and Oh I didn't realize this was UK :oops:

:empathy:

Hikari Kisugi
04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Followers of Islam hate dogs, they are haram, unclean, they won't keep the animals, refuse to go near the mouth, and live in fear of being licked.
No joke.
Serious.

FBD
04-29-2016, 06:09 PM
but I thought personality goes a long way

Hugh_Janus
04-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Followers of Islam hate dogs, they are haram, unclean, they won't keep the animals, refuse to go near the mouth, and live in fear of being licked.
No joke.
Serious.

that explains why an muz-lum I walked by the other day asked me to hold on to a friendly dog that was off its leash because he didn't want to be anywhere near it