PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks faces $5M lawsuit over amount of ice in its iced beverages

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/aGPviQT.jpg

Coffee conglomerate Starbucks is being sued for $5 million over the amount of ice the drink-maker puts in its iced beverages.

According to The Telegraph, Stacy Pincus filed a 29-page complaint in Northern Illinois Federal Court in Chicago last week. Pincus alleges that Starbucks customers are being misled because the company’s iced drinks contain just over half the drink they are paying for.

“A Starbucks customer who orders a Venti cold drink receives only 14 fluid ounces of that drink – just over half the advertised amount, and just over half the amount for which they are paying,” the complaint reads.

Pincus said in the complaint that a customer who orders a Venti iced coffee will only receive about 14 fluid ounces of iced coffee even though they are expected to receive 24 fluid ounces as Starbucks advertises.

"In essence, Starbucks is advertising the size of its cold drink cups on its menu, rather than the amount of fluid a customer will receive when they purchase a cold drink — and deceiving its customers in the process," the complaint added.

The lawsuit she filed is a class action on behalf of anyone who has ordered an iced-beverage from a Starbucks shop in the last 10 years.

Steven Hart, Pincus’ lawyer, told The Telegraph that the damage could be higher than $5 million if the case is successful.

Starbucks called the lawsuit “absurd.”

“Our customers understand and expect that ice is an essential component of an ‘iced’ beverage,” the company said in a statement to TMZ.

Goofy
05-02-2016, 12:40 PM
:yawn:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the United States, the land of idiotic lawsuits :|

FBD
05-02-2016, 01:45 PM
when getting ice in a drink, do you want the cup firstly filled to the brim with ice?

I tell those fools to give me half ice, and they comply.

Hikari Kisugi
05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Interesting, one would almost think that ice does not melt and become fluid at some point in its lifecycle.

fricnjay
05-02-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm actually with her on this one but I think its a common practice that should be put in check. Like at a burger place if I order a burger I don't get lettuce, tomatoes or onions but I'm still paying for it but I ask for cheese thats .75 extra. :meh:

FBD
05-02-2016, 02:28 PM
anything with protein in it is automatically a charge in a lot of places

Griffin
05-03-2016, 01:34 AM
anything with protein in it is automatically a charge in a lot of places

I would give protein shakes for free...

...it's finding willing recipients I have trouble with.

Godfather
05-03-2016, 01:46 AM
I'm all for advertising standards but holy shit we're talking about ice? Every chain restaurant I've ever been to puts too much ice in the cup :lol:

Just ask for easy/light/no ice...

allsmiles
05-03-2016, 03:23 AM
I would give protein shakes for free...

...it's finding willing recipients I have trouble with.

http://i67.tinypic.com/wv7akn.jpg

Jezter
05-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the United States, the land of idiotic lawsuits :|

:qft: