PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Employees Aren’t Allowed to Say ‘Unfortunately’

Jezter
06-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Adrian Chen —Ah, Apple stores, gleaming temples of consumption. So bright and airy, filled with friendly, clean-cut geeks. A little too friendly, if you ask us. What's the secret? A ban on negativity.

The Wall Street Journal spoke to a bunch of former employees and Apple Geniuses for an opus on Apple Stores. And they painted a picture that is about as cult-y as you would expect:

Former Geniuses say they were told to say "as it turns out" rather than "unfortunately" to sound less negative when they are unable to solve a tech problem.

Bet that really soothes the guy whose iPhone has exploded next to his ear. "As it turns out, you have a shard of glass embedded in your ear drum."

Apple store employees also have the acronym APPLE seared into their brains during their week-long training: "Approach customers with a personalized warm welcome," "Probe politely to understand all the customer's needs," "Present a solution for the customer to take home today," "Listen for and resolve any issues or concerns," and "End with a fond farewell and an invitation to return."

However, it seems that the Wall Street Journal glosses over the more colorful aspects of Apple Stores offered up by other employees. For example, they are apparently swarming with drug dealers. And when Apple's highly-tuned salesbots malfunction, they really go haywire: Take that alleged racist freakout at the Manhattan Apple store.

The only dirt the Journal could dig out of former employees was that they are forced to be artificially nice to customers? If Apple stores really were pure retail heaven, some Apple store employees wouldn't be trying to form a union, would they?

----

JezEDIT: Oh Apple... The sheeple training is rooted deep in these suckers.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-16-2011, 07:58 PM
For example, they are apparently swarming with drug dealers. And when Apple's highly-tuned salesbots malfunction, they really go haywire: Take that alleged racist freakout at the Manhattan Apple store.

Wait....what!!!?

They kind of just glossed over this, I would like to hear more.

Jezter
06-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Wait....what!!!?

They kind of just glossed over this, I would like to hear more.

http://gawker.com/5805581/manhattan-apple-store-accused-of-discriminating-against-black-men

PorkChopSandwiches
06-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I mean about all the drug dealing

Jezter
06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I mean about all the drug dealing

As it turns out, I have no more on that.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
:lol:

Muddy
06-16-2011, 08:38 PM
What a ludicrous story... There are certain things you don't say to customers because it's bad business... "Unfortunately" is one of them... "It's our policy" is another..

Learn boy, learn. :razz:

Jezter
06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
What a ludicrous story... There are certain things you don't say to customers because it's bad business... "Unfortunately" is one of them... "It's our policy" is another..

*learns*

Muddy
06-16-2011, 08:49 PM
:lol: Im just kidding with you calling you boy... But really there are certain words they tell us in sales here to try and avoid..

MrsM
06-16-2011, 09:13 PM
:lol: Im just kidding with you calling you boy... But really there are certain words they tell us in sales here to try and avoid..

Like "fuck you!" I heard somewhere that some people take it the wrong way. As it turns out it could also get you fired or punched :)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Who teaches that? I use 'unfortunately' all the time. :hand:

It's all about honesty ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Like "fuck you!" I heard somewhere that some people take it the wrong way. As it turns out it could also get you fired or punched :)

So many times a day I have to force myself not to use that phrase :|

FBD
06-16-2011, 09:28 PM

:thumbsup:

Hal-9000
06-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I was doing some monitor research and happened upon an Apple forum.I had no idea the techs were called geniuses so each post that used the word, the guys would usually throw it in quotes.

eg I took my notebook in and the 'genius' there couldn't fix it.

The thread was about a common problem on one of their laptops where the screen became corrupted and each quoted response was hilarious about not being able to fix it.All sorts of positivity but no resolution for the actual problem.Those forum guys were mad! :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I was doing some monitor research and happened upon an Apple forum.I had no idea the techs were called geniuses so each post that used the word, the guys would usually throw it in quotes.

eg I took my notebook in and the 'genius' there couldn't fix it.

The thread was about a common problem on one of their laptops where the screen became corrupted and each quoted response was hilarious about not being able to fix it.All sorts of positivity but no resolution for the actual problem.Those forum guys were mad! :lol:

Apple....the only place where if you have the absolute most basic of troubleshooting skills and be considered a 'genius'

Muddy
06-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Are you in sales?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Are you in sales?

A lot of times, yes, along with all the rest of the things I do

Muddy
06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I've been to a few of these sales technique seminars and they each have their own spin... Thats all this is.. The last one I went to had a big spiel about how to only ask open ended questions because certain things you say can give the typical 'dont bug me customers' an easy way out... blabh blah blah..

Hal-9000
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I've been to a few of these sales technique seminars and they each have their own spin... Thats all this is.. The last one I went to had a big spiel about how to only ask open ended questions because certain things you say can give the typical 'dont bug me customers' an easy way out... blabh blah blah..

fook me, I'm nowhere near sales but have been sent on my fair share of courses....the 'management' ones in particular remind me of exactly what you said up there :lol:

translation: manipulate the conversation so there's never any meaningful 2 way dialogue and resolution :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2011, 10:40 PM

I don't think I would do well in a seminar like that :lol:

Muddy
06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
fook me, I'm nowhere near sales but have been sent on my fair share of courses....the 'management' ones in particular remind me of exactly what you said up there :lol:

translation: manipulate the conversation so there's never any meaningful 2 way dialogue and resolution :lol:

Yeah but you really only pull out those cards when you having a hard time getting in somewhere... You dont use that shit on your core group of partners..

Hal-9000
06-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah but you really only pull out those cards when you having a hard time getting in somewhere... You dont use that shit on your core group of partners..

every time I interact with one of my internal sales people...I LAY IT ON THEM :lol:

kinda like asking a beggar for a dollar before he gets the chance..

Muddy
06-16-2011, 11:01 PM
The warehouse guys love me, cause Im the only normal one around there... :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
06-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Muddy? One of my favorite things to do is this...

I'll get an email from sales outlining a problem that went to the customer or will go.The salesperson will include cost spreadsheets and veiled threats about how much the company could lose.Essentially (but not all of the time) it will be the salesperson's fault, either not quoting, estimating or listening to the customer correctly :lol:

and what they're really asking for is advice on how to prevent/or fix the error....I know that.They like to copy various higher ups and use other tactics I don't play into to get a response.

So my first response back is - What do you think we should do to correct this?

Muddy
06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I just go out back and do this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB2bh3JCEWQ

Hal-9000
06-16-2011, 11:08 PM
The warehouse guys love me, cause Im the only normal one around there... :mrgreen:

We've chatted about this before and I do have a good relationship with our sales people...as much as they hate me outlining where they went wrong...
I'm known for cutting through the BS and finding efficient and cost effective ways to address the screw up.

sounds weird but forensics is my specialty...something happened 14 months ago and we need an answer...so without actually doing any of the initial work, I can usually get some sort of logical answer for them, whether it was us at the warehouse, production or the client who was sniffing glue.

Muddy
06-16-2011, 11:09 PM
We've chatted about this before and I do have a good relationship with our sales people...as much as they hate me outlining where they went wrong...
I'm known for cutting through the BS and finding efficient and cost effective ways to address the screw up.

sounds weird but forensics is my specialty...something happened 14 months ago and we need an answer...so without actually doing any of the initial work, I can usually get some sort of logical answer for them, whether it was us at the warehouse, production or the client who was sniffing glue.

So Hal.. Waaaaassssssssuuuuup!!!!!!! :razz:

Hal-9000
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
So Hal.. Waaaaassssssssuuuuup!!!!!!! :razz:

fook me...you sound like this one sales guy...

deebakes
06-17-2011, 01:48 AM
as it turns out :lurk: